2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

MattKemp_9dvp9h2v_m2p80hqm.jpg

The Dodgers will alternate between two road jerseys this season, with one reading "Dodgers" across the front and the other "Los Angeles."

Dodgers executive vice president and chief marketing officer Lon Rosen said in a statement that the trend will begin in Spring Training and the club will wear the new "Dodgers" uniforms when the club opens the season in Australia on March 22.

When the team moved to California in 1958, their road uniforms read "Dodgers" but were changed the following season to "Los Angeles" and remained that way until 1969. The team name returned from 1970-98, but the club has worn road uniforms with "Los Angeles" since then.

It will be the first time the club has donned alternate uniforms since 2011, when they wore powder-blue Brooklyn jerseys for six home games.

"Because we are equally proud of our iconic brand name and the city we represent and with the number of Dodger fans across the country, we felt it important to have two sets of road jerseys to feature both the team name, as well as Los Angeles," Rosen said.

I like this. Their current roads are great, but the Los Angeles script never seemed right to me. As far as long names go, it's better than Kansas City's, but I just don't care for scrips with tails when the name is two words (same applied to the Mets in the mid 90s.)

This jersey is fine, then again their Los Angeles road jersey is fine, but what they need to do is pick one or the other and then remove the "LA" and the "Dodgers" off the sleeves of all their jerseys. We're not stupid, we know who you are and where you're from. Of course they could be the Angels. I guess it must be a Southern California baseball thing to just over-saturate jerseys with stupid repetitive team markings.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BfW3CMXCQAAe-q9.jpg

Awesome. I might have to buy me one.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the placket piping, it's more than made up for by the classic script logo. I like it slightly more than I liked the old orange alt. I'm just happy it's not going to be worn with the original orange alt (Baer, pick either the "San Francisco" road, or the "SF" road, not both).

Congrats Indians, your crazy "I" in the Indians script is no longer that bad, that Ciants script is the worst now LOL

A lot of irony in this post...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That new Giants alt is just bad. The mismatched script from the 80's, the headspoon piping, and the craptastic SF patch not to mention the front number which hasn't been seen on a Giants jersey since 1982. Their cream homes and grey roads without the piping were among the top sets in baseball. Why do they keep feeling the need to truck out these awful alternates. If they wanted to keep an orange alternate the old one was just fine.

That new Giants alt is just bad. The mismatched script from the 80's, the headspoon piping, and the craptastic SF patch not to mention the front number which hasn't been seen on a Giants jersey since 1982. Their cream homes and grey roads without the piping were among the top sets in baseball. Why do they keep feeling the need to truck out these awful alternates. If they wanted to keep an orange alternate the old one was just fine.

$$$$$$$$$$

in my opinion the jersey looks good as a fan jersey, idk about on the field for the giants.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

I don't dislike it as much as a lot of others on here do, but it is definitely a little underwhelming to me. I do not like the number on the front at all.

I was content with the orange jersey they had before for the last 4 seasons.

And I really do wish they would bring back the black 'San Francisco' alternate from 2001/2002 for road games.

Regarding the new Dodgers road alt; it looks fine to me except for the 'LA' logo patch. It's essentially the same jersey that they wore in '70/'72-'76. If they only wear it on Sunday I am totally happy with them.

And I really do wish they would bring back the black 'San Francisco' alternate from 2001/2002 for road games.

That jersey was terrible. A black wordmark with orange outline and gold dropshadow of 12 letters on a black jersey? It looked like a total visual mess especially from a distance.

bSLCtu2.png

May be in the minority but the previous orange uniform, when paired with the cream pants and black cap was, IMO, one of the best alts in baseball. The actual wordmark is far better than this oversized, dated script.

Agreed. The Giants are slowly ruining what was one of the best looks in baseball with each new tweak. All they really needed to do was make the road wordmark font match the home one, but instead they keep overthinking everything.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That jersey was terrible. A black wordmark with orange outline and gold dropshadow of 12 letters on a black jersey? It looked like a total visual mess especially from a distance.

I agree the gold was awful looking. But I actually didn't mind the black script with the orange outline. I am not sure how white script with orange outline would look...just some reiteration of that jersey would be nice.

If you took away the headspoon (which is a major detrement) and replace it with neck trim that mimics the pullover trim, I absolutely godsdamn love this jersey.

There's something about that script that I've loved since I was a kid collecting baseball cards in the early 80s. It's 70s, but great 70s. You can't use the word "timeless" for it, but it's perfectly representative of the great aspects of that era's design trends (as opposed to say the bumblebee uniforms or the Indians' bloodclots).

It's kind of like the Hoover logo - obviously from a certain era, but classic all the same.

I'll even go a step further - while the gold is pointless from a practical standpoint since it's not noticeable from any distance, up close it looks FANTASTIC against that orange backdrop.

Here's what has to happen in order to make this my favorite MLB jersey right now:

1. Lose the headspoon.

2. Make the neck and sleeve trim black-white-black. Need some more white on there.

3. Make a better sleeve patch. Even (and I hate this as much as most of you do, but) a roundel wold work.

4. Maybe lose the front number. Or make it a more generic font. The generic font would actually make the script stand out more IMO. Right now there's a little too much attention drawn to the number.

That is thisclose to being a spectacular alternate jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived