2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We knew it was coming, but it's not any less disappointing seeing it. I really hate this trend of teams going back to crappy '80s style uniforms to commemerate a time when the teams were worse than they currently are. I just don't get it.

Easy... $$$$

new jerseys means new sales.

Fine, but why are these teams all going back to designs from the '80s, when the teams weren't as good, and more importantly, when the uniforms were worse? I mean, the A's could come up with any new alternate. They didn't have to go back to a style from the '80s. It was one thing when the yellow jersey was on this template, but it looks worse that this green jersey is replacing a superior one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I would almost expect the home or road to basically be phased out. Not very many people call them the Athletics, just the A's so if you take that plus a "potential" move coming up, I can see Oakland and Athletics being slowly removed. I can see them keeping both green ones since the script Athletics was primarily a road jersey to start off. Maybe they replace the road gray with the old green as primary road and use the new green jersey as a sunday day game type alt. Don't really know or care either way, but I will be adding this one as well to go with my 72 throwback, 2nd black alt, green, yellow, and gray jerseys.

93-94canucks.jpg

I disagree about the need for placket piping on the new road. The home uniform is the iconic one, just like the Yankees. They don't need placket piping any more than the Yankees need pinstripes on their roads.

I really hope this new/old road Boston uniform is for real.

But I am with you on the placket piping not so much because it's not as iconic as the home uni, but I wonder what would happen to the spacing on the letters.

The home jersey has a nice "Red" "Sox" divide. Would a "Boston" wordmark have a "Bos" "Ton" with too much space in between? Would there be letters on top of the piping? Maybe it could look nice, but I wonder...

I'd say put the sleeve piping on and call it done.

BIT1yHuCIAEAOaz.jpg

They did this once before. Not exactly the big divide you mentioned, but I think that probably wouldn't look too good.

That bothers me more than BOS TON would, because there's three letters completely to the left of the placket, and only two to the right. The placket would be the center, so the T doesn't really belong there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would almost expect the home or road to basically be phased out. Not very many people call them the Athletics, just the A's so if you take that plus a "potential" move coming up, I can see Oakland and Athletics being slowly removed. I can see them keeping both green ones since the script Athletics was primarily a road jersey to start off. Maybe they replace the road gray with the old green as primary road and use the new green jersey as a sunday day game type alt. Don't really know or care either way, but I will be adding this one as well to go with my 72 throwback, 2nd black alt, green, yellow, and gray jerseys.

Doubtful. The A's made the mistake of removing "Athletics" from their naming once before. They won't do it again. And while the grey away's are being phased out as part of Wolff trying to leave Oakland (and they're still the only A's jersey with Oakland on them), the home whites are one of the A's signature looks with the white cleats.

d5EtF8r.jpg

Pitiful. Compared to the outgoing green jersey with "Athletics" on the front this is a big downgrade.

They did this once before. Not exactly the big divide you mentioned, but I think that probably wouldn't look too good.

That bothers me more than BOS TON would, because there's three letters completely to the left of the placket, and only two to the right. The placket would be the center, so the T doesn't really belong there.

I understand what you're saying, but the positioning of BOSTON is the same as with no placket piping. Maybe having the piping just draws more attention to it. Either way, the wordmark has to be either unbalanced or off-center. It just has to. I can't figure any way it could be perfectly centered seeing as the T is almost center straight-up over the placket. It seems like the S should either overlap onto the placket or the T should be further to the right, with all the letters spaced more.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They're not keeping the old green one. This replaces it.

It's a bummer that the A's wore their green jerseys half the time last year. The grays look so good but I don't know how much the owner has any influence on what jerseys are being worn. I know it's the pitcher's decision but just seeing the green that often just wasn't that great

Go A's!

Not that it can really relate, I'm going to work on a basic spreadsheet of all the alternates, throwbacks or whatever special jerseys this season. It'll certainly be a pain in the ass but it's something that can help out if there is a Daily Uniform tracker done again this season on the main site

The Red Sox have used different placements of the letters over the years. The most common has been the T nearest the center of the placket.

Wes%20Ferrell.jpg

Foxx_Jimmie_018.jpg

5954643257_12499d275e.jpg

1366656159_9adebe5c70.jpg

152785.jpg

roger-clemens-1984.jpg

BfW3CMXCQAAe-q9.jpg

Awesome. I might have to buy me one.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the placket piping, it's more than made up for by the classic script logo. I like it slightly more than I liked the old orange alt. I'm just happy it's not going to be worn with the original orange alt (Baer, pick either the "San Francisco" road, or the "SF" road, not both).

Ummm....nice work Majestic on totally screwing up the replicas....

pMLB2-17581840dt.jpg

Jeez. How does a company mess up their own jersey? Maybe it's just a bad photoshop?

Archived