2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the Dodgers road uniforms with the "Dodgers" script. Reminds me of the days of LaSorda. I was pissed that MLB The Show screwed the 81 throwbakcs up big time by putting blue lines down the shoulders which is innacurate (Thanks SCEA).

The Sterter jackets from the 80's are the bomb. Today's jackets/hoodies don't compare. In 2012 when the Blue Jays wore their 1977 road uniforms, the coaches-players in the dugouts wore the Jays 80's starter jackets. Brought me back to the good old days of multipurpose stadiums, astro turf, better uniforms, and the Marlboro Man on the scoreboard but I digress

Looks like the only changes for next season are going to be the Cubs new road uniforms, Royals new alternates, and the Mariners bringing back the teal bill cap as their permanent home cap.

Teal on the Mariners is the most overrated thing ever. Their set was the class of the league before they bought that :censored: back. But I guess those hideous teal bills are better than an extremely hideous blue-yellow-cream overhaul.

IMO, nothing looks worse than when a team doesn't follow the traditional "team name at home, city name on the road" protocol. To me, it looks minor league and cheap when a team doesn't do it and reflects a lack of pride in the city they represent.

Are you :censored:ing kidding me?

I'm serious. Tell me you're :censored:ing kidding.

Teal on the Mariners is the most overrated thing ever. Their set was the class of the league before they bought that :censored: back. But I guess those hideous teal bills are better than an extremely hideous blue-yellow-cream overhaul.

No.

Yes.

What other city could the Phillies be from? Philadelphia is as many letters as San Francisco and actually one fewer character because of the space so it could work, but only if they arched it and didn't use the bubbly regular wordmark font. If their name was the Philadelphia Fighting Baseball Bats or anything other than Phillies I'd say go for it, put Philadelphia on the road, but as it is you don't need to put PHILADELPHIA on a road uniform. It's redundant.

The Mariners need to get their $hit together and stop tainting their beautiful uniforms with the losing stench so ownership doesn't feel like they have to rebrand to "change the culture and shake up the entire organization". It may already be too late.

PvO6ZWJ.png

anyone like my redesign of the marlins logo?n7l8.jpg

Too Cyan.

Add in some Maganta and you'll have a great fauxback logo...back to when we had Tandy computers with 4 colors.

11-1.png

chips-challenge-ending-cga.gif?w=630

That's what the color scheme reminded me of.

87Redskins.png

What other city could the Phillies be from? Philadelphia is as many letters as San Francisco and actually one fewer character because of the space so it could work, but only if they arched it and didn't use the bubbly regular wordmark font. If their name was the Philadelphia Fighting Baseball Bats or anything other than Phillies I'd say go for it, put Philadelphia on the road, but as it is you don't need to put PHILADELPHIA on a road uniform. It's redundant.

The Mariners need to get their $hit together and stop tainting their beautiful uniforms with the losing stench so ownership doesn't feel like they have to rebrand to "change the culture and shake up the entire organization". It may already be too late.

They used to have a gray jersey with black block letters that just said "PHILS". Something similar but with PHILA could work, but they're going for brand consistency.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What other city could the Phillies be from?

Reading

it is

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

IMO, nothing looks worse than when a team doesn't follow the traditional "team name at home, city name on the road" protocol. To me, it looks minor league and cheap when a team doesn't do it and reflects a lack of pride in the city they represent.

I am sure he's not kidding.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to see that it looks minor league and cheap, but I most definitely do not like to see the same exact wordmark at home and on the road. Obviously, in this era we all know what team is from where, etc. but the tradition dates back to a day when the home team would wear the team name (because Pirate fans already knew they were in Pittsburgh) and played against a team wearing "Chicago" on its jersey; the home fans knew them as "Chicago", not really as "Cubs". Obviously, today, we pretty much know everyone by their name, but it's still a charming little tradition to wear "Pirates" at home and "Pittsburgh" on the road. Even though such historic teams as the Tigers and Yankees don't quite do that, most have a history with it and I wish teams like the Brewers would do it now.

I tend to agree with giving the Phillies a pass because of what "Phillies" means along with the length of the name (though I would rather they use the above photo).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm serious. Tell me you're :censored: ing kidding.

Calm down chief.

I am sure he's not kidding.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to see that it looks minor league and cheap, but I most definitely do not like to see the same exact wordmark at home and on the road. Obviously, in this era we all know what team is from where, etc. but the tradition dates back to a day when the home team would wear the team name (because Pirate fans already knew they were in Pittsburgh) and played against a team wearing "Chicago" on its jersey; the home fans knew them as "Chicago", not really as "Cubs". Obviously, today, we pretty much know everyone by their name, but it's still a charming little tradition to wear "Pirates" at home and "Pittsburgh" on the road. Even though such historic teams as the Tigers and Yankees don't quite do that, most have a history with it and I wish teams like the Brewers would do it now.

I tend to agree with giving the Phillies a pass because of what "Phillies" means along with the length of the name (though I would rather they use the above photo).

There's 'charming tradition', which is fine, and then there's brain-melting bull :censored: like 'it's minor league and shows a lack of pride in their city'. I can deal with the usual zealotry about wordmarks, I see it every time I browse here, but when people try to rationalize the home-team-road-city thing like it's the only logical thing to do, I've just had enough.

There shouldn't be a blanket opinion about it, it should boil down to the team in question. A tiny Philadelphia script on those road uniforms would look bad. The Cardinals' St. Louis script doesn't look very good. Tampa Bay on the Rays' roads would look like crap. On the flipside there's some teams whose city mark looks better than the team name mark and whom I would be fine with using it for everything, I'm thinking specifically of Oakland, Seattle, and Kansas City. And of course Texas, who in 2009 figured out that their city wordmark looked a gazillion times better than that godawful Rangers wordmark. If they lose the dropshadow (another case-by-case thing) on it they'll have the best set in the league.

The Royals are getting a new road alternate jersey for 2014.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they won't return to the dreaded black era from the early 2000's.

2106628.jpg

???

I really hope so!!!!

More like

Frank%2BW.jpg

All I can say is that MLB needs a few colored head-to-toe uniforms (Light Blue, Yellow, maybe even Graphite*).

*Not that I liked that entire set, but still...

phillies.jpg

Archived