2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

What really bugs me is that the Spanish-language jerseys are about 100x more bemoaned around here than the Brewers Italian or German jerseys. That's about all I need to know.

Nonsense. How many other teams do Italian or German jerseys? I believe the Brewers are the only top-level pro team. Meanwhile, Spanish language jerseys are an unfortunate phenomenon, to the point where the NBA has several "Noche Latinas" when ESPN takes it to imbecilic lengths by listing the teams as "El Heat" and such on their sports ticker for the entire day. I don't remember anywhere near the level of comtempt for Spanish jerseys when it was just the Brewers and the Giants, and their jerseys were well done instead of slapping "Los" onto an existing jersey. And you can say it's equally as bad as teams decking out in flag or camo gear, but at least that gear doesn't change the name of the franchises. If MLB trotted out a NY Freedom vs. Boston Liberty matchup as part of "Patriotic Night," I'd be plenty pissed by that, too.

So this...

283%20Kozlov%20BUF%20White%209-11%20Jers

Not serious, but it came to mind because it was patriotic and involved a name change.

I agree that most people take issue with the laziness of LOS and EL more than the name switches, even if it's technically what would be said on Spanish broadcasts.

My point was that every single time you see a new Spanish jersey you see whining and calls of "pandering". Not once have I seen a complaint about the Brewers German or Italian. Look, it's written communication and I cannot judge the tone of an individual poster and I don't know everyone's motives, but the lack of complaint about those two jerseys was quite evident and I suspect there are some who feel Spansh is "PC" and the languages of "our" ancestors is less of a big deal. If Cervecaros is pandering than so is Bierbrauers. And that's all I am saying. The truth is, I'd rather teams don't do these jerseys as well: Spanish, Italian, German, Stars&Stripes, Padres camo, everyone wearing #42, etc. For the most part, I want the uniform to represent the team (and player in the case of #42) as it is known and to be consistent.

Regarding the Brewers, if teams have to do this (which they don't) the Brewers do it right. I get that a radio broadcaster in Mexico would say "El Heat" or "Los Brewers", but "Gigantes", "Cervecaros" and "Bierbrauers" is at least interesting (and what a Mexican team may be called). "Los Mets" is forced and lame.

Anyway, yeah, the Spanish ones are more of a "thing" than the other two Brewer ones, but individual ones get complaints. I believe Cervecaros did too. And when the Italian and German ones came out, I was looking specifically for complaints. Nothing.

As an aside, what I'd do if I were king:

• Foreign: Nothing for on the field. If the Brewers (and others) want to produce jersey t-shirts like this for fans, that's cool. The three Brewer ones make sense given the demographics of Milwaukee. But nothing on the field.
  • Stars and Stripes: Use the same uniforms with a flag patch either on the side of the cap or the chest/sleeve and only on Memorial Day and July 4.
  • Padres camo. No. Especially not every week.
  • Jackie Robinson. No changing everyone's (or anyone's) number. But Jackie's anniversary is a huge deal and I would have every team wear a commemorative patch. I'd go every 5 years, but could live with every year.
  • Throwbacks. Maybe on key anniversaries (25th year of a championship, etc.) for ONE promotional game. But the Twins and Brewers doing it once a week is as bad as the Padres wearing camo once a week. Don't dilute your look.

First off, translate "Mets" into Spanish. Couldn't do it, could you? These are celebrations of the heritage and/or holiday. We shouldn't be focusing on what the unis look like (even though that's all we do here), we need to focus on what it represents.

• Foreign: It's fine. We're just trying to expand the game and maybe get back to olympic status.
  • Stars and Stripes: F*** yeah. 'Murica. Is no one on here patriotic like me?
  • Padres Camo: Good for them. Keeping the NFL from being the only ones supporting the military.
  • Throwbacks: "Don't dilute your look." WTF? This is their look. This is where their current look stems from (unless they did a complete redesign along the way). Everyone on here says, "Their old look was better," and then people object to throwbacks. I'm sorry I just don't see anyone making sense when it comes to that.
  • Jackie Robinson: Since Mariano Rivera retired, there are no longer any players with the number 42. I think one game a year where everyone wears it in tribute to one of the barrier breakers of the game is fine

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was that every single time you see a new Spanish jersey you see whining and calls of "pandering". Not once have I seen a complaint about the Brewers German or Italian. Look, it's written communication and I cannot judge the tone of an individual poster and I don't know everyone's motives, but the lack of complaint about those two jerseys was quite evident and I suspect there are some who feel Spansh is "PC" and the languages of "our" ancestors is less of a big deal. If Cervecaros is pandering than so is Bierbrauers. And that's all I am saying. The truth is, I'd rather teams don't do these jerseys as well: Spanish, Italian, German, Stars&Stripes, Padres camo, everyone wearing #42, etc. For the most part, I want the uniform to represent the team (and player in the case of #42) as it is known and to be consistent.

Regarding the Brewers, if teams have to do this (which they don't) the Brewers do it right. I get that a radio broadcaster in Mexico would say "El Heat" or "Los Brewers", but "Gigantes", "Cervecaros" and "Bierbrauers" is at least interesting (and what a Mexican team may be called). "Los Mets" is forced and lame.

Anyway, yeah, the Spanish ones are more of a "thing" than the other two Brewer ones, but individual ones get complaints. I believe Cervecaros did too. And when the Italian and German ones came out, I was looking specifically for complaints. Nothing.

• Foreign: Nothing for on the field. If the Brewers (and others) want to produce jersey t-shirts like this for fans, that's cool. The three Brewer ones make sense given the demographics of Milwaukee. But nothing on the field.
  • Stars and Stripes: Use the same uniforms with a flag patch either on the side of the cap or the chest/sleeve and only on Memorial Day and July 4.
  • Jackie Robinson. No changing everyone's (or anyone's) number. But Jackie's anniversary is a huge deal and I would have every team wear a commemorative patch. I'd go every 5 years, but could live with every year.
  • Throwbacks. Maybe on key anniversaries (25th year of a championship, etc.) for ONE promotional game. But the Twins and Brewers doing it once a week is as bad as the Padres wearing camo once a week. Don't dilute your look.

First off, translate "Mets" into Spanish. Couldn't do it, could you? These are celebrations of the heritage and/or holiday. We shouldn't be focusing on what the unis look like (even though that's all we do here), we need to focus on what it represents.

• Foreign: It's fine. We're just trying to expand the game and maybe get back to olympic status.
  • Padres Camo: Good for them. Keeping the NFL from being the only ones supporting the military.
  • Throwbacks: "Don't dilute your look." WTF? This is their look. This is where their current look stems from (unless they did a complete redesign along the way). Everyone on here says, "Their old look was better," and then people object to throwbacks. I'm sorry I just don't see anyone making sense when it comes to that.
  • Jackie Robinson: Since Mariano Rivera retired, there are no longer any players with the number 42. I think one game a year where everyone wears it in tribute to one of the barrier breakers of the game is fine

I can't go round and round on all of these with you but...

• "Mets" is short for "Metropolitans". Metropolitan translated to Spanish is "Metropolitano". So if they go the Brewers route, it would be "Metropolitanos". That's beside the point anyway. "Los Mets" was a random example. It could have been "El Heat" or "Los Spurs".
  • The Twins wearing their 1965 uniforms every home Friday (or whatever it is now) is showing a second look with far too much frequency. That dilutes it. They wear their goofy 1987 wordmark now and they should either go backwards full time or embrace it.. Go to a Brewers game and you cannot even tell which look is current.
  • I'll give you this; your are consistent in your willingness to have a team change it's look with frequency (as opposed to Spanish bad, 'Merica good)

If Cervecaros is pandering than so is Bierbrauers. And that's all I am saying.

I'd agree. The difference is that special interest groups feel the need to "speak up" for Hispanics whereas they generally don't feel the need to "speak up" for Germans.

There was a time when that was needed for Irish too. That time has passed. There is a big difference between German-Americans and Spanish-speaking Americans.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I can't go round and round on all of these with you but...

• "Mets" is short for "Metropolitans". Metropolitan translated to Spanish is "Metropolitano". So if they go the Brewers route, it would be "Metropolitanos". That's beside the point anyway. "Los Mets" was a random example. It could have been "El Heat" or "Los Spurs".
  • The Twins wearing their 1965 uniforms every home Friday (or whatever it is now) is showing a second look with far too much frequency. That dilutes it. They wear their goofy 1987 wordmark now and they should either go backwards full time or embrace it.. Go to a Brewers game and you cannot even tell which look is current.
  • I'll give you this; your are consistent in your willingness to have a team change it's look with frequency (as opposed to Spanish bad, 'Merica good)

The thing is... they are embracing it by wearing it every home Friday

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

If Cervecaros is pandering than so is Bierbrauers. And that's all I am saying.

I'd agree. The difference is that special interest groups feel the need to "speak up" for Hispanics whereas they generally don't feel the need to "speak up" for Germans.

There was a time when that was needed for Irish too. That time has passed. There is a big difference between German-Americans and Spanish-speaking Americans.

Bottom line is all should be treated the same. There should be no difference.

41s53G%2BzD5L._SY300_.jpgOakland%2BAthletics%2BA%2527s%2BNew%2BEr

A's finally acknowledged and announced the new road cap

BgY_kFpCQAAKLXp.jpg

A's Ticket Services ‏@ticketservices 1h

New top item on the list of things-we-need-immediately: the new A's Road Cap! http://atmlb.com/NHfM17 pic.twitter.com/TiYRiF4xKp

Compared to the outgoing cap that's a piece of crap. Easily the worst of the 3 road caps the A's have worn in the last 20 years. Very disappointed they'd make such an obvious downgrade.

At least the caps finally match the jersey though. It always bothered me that the coloring on the script on the green jersey didn't match that of the cap.

The coloring on the old away cap and the old green jersey were both gold. They matched just fine.

But the lettering on the jersey had a white outline the the cap A's had no outline. That is what bothered me. Make them consistent.

That's not nitpicky at all.

Something thats bugged me forever, and I'll sound like an idiot for saying this, but in that above Giants script, is the G upper or lower cased? It has bugged me for as long as I can remember.

It is upper case. I have seen people write an upper case G similarly to that.

Something thats bugged me forever, and I'll sound like an idiot for saying this, but in that above Giants script, is the G upper or lower cased? It has bugged me for as long as I can remember.

It's definitely upper case. If it was lower case, it'd be a "q", not a "g". It doesn't have the little hook thing on the inside of the capital G, but GODSDAMMIT NOW THANKS TO YOU I SEE IT AS "qiants" (not really, but I guess I could see it that way.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It is upper case. I have seen people write an upper case G similarly to that.

It's definitely upper case. If it was lower case, it'd be a "q", not a "g". It doesn't have the little hook thing on the inside of the capital G, but GODSDAMMIT NOW THANKS TO YOU I SEE IT AS "qiants" (not really, but I guess I could see it that way.)

Thanks. That's what I figured, but that damn script has been playing with me for as long as I can remember.

Why do so many teams wear their gray pants by default in spring training, on non-game days?

The gray pants are heavier, and are basically batting donuts for legs in the hot Florida sun. This helps the players perform better when they switch to white pants.

- San José Sharks PR department

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Why do so many teams wear their gray pants by default in spring training, on non-game days?

The gray pants are heavier, and are basically batting donuts for legs in the hot Florida sun. This helps the players perform better when they switch to white pants.

Easier to clean/ dont have to clean as often

Definitely - look how thick those stripes are. Definitely .079% heavier than the alternative.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think I am starting to understand why the Red Wings don't arch their names-on-back during preseason. The arching provides and aerodynamic feature when bent forward. They must feel like their skates have rockets on 'em after using the straight-names.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think I am starting to understand why the Red Wings don't arch their names-on-back during preseason. The arching provides and aerodynamic feature when bent forward. They must feel like their skates have rockets on 'em after using the straight-names.

Actually, now that you mention it, that's probably why the use a serifed font as well, just to put even more material there. If they were smart, instead of just red (or white), they'd put an extra layer of twill on there just to add even more weight. If they matched it to the base color, it wouldn't even be visible to the average viewer.

Advantage - Detroit.

Definitely - look how thick those stripes are. Definitely .079% heavier than the alternative.

Why do you think they switched away from black? Do you have any idea how much heavier that was, absorbing all that light?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Actually, now that you mention it, that's probably why the use a serifed font as well, just to put even more material there. If they were smart, instead of just red (or white), they'd put an extra layer of twill on there just to add even more weight. If they matched it to the base color, it wouldn't even be visible to the average viewer.

Advantage - Detroit.

Might as well attach dumbbells to the jerseys

Archived