2013 MLB Discussion Thread, Redux

Brian in Boston

Yay Cardinals!! But now I'm torn. My grandmother who will turn 90 a week from tomorrow and has been a life long Dodgers fan. She can't follow baseball anymore. So even if the Dodgers best the Cardinals, I'll be happy. Though I hope the Cardinals beat the Dodgers.

Pittsburgh was a tough opponent - Had the Redbirds on the ropes, but ran into Wacha and Waino.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dodgers vs Cardinals? Yuck.

Red Sox? Yuck.

Detroit? If they win, I guess by default.

Oakland is the only team I can say I like that's left. And even then it's not that much as a divisional/in-state rival.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

A memo from "History's Greatest Monsters,"

CardinalsTroll_zpsda702fea.jpg

.......Problem?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Too bad the Yankees/Dodgers rivalry has essentially been relegated to history and I'm too young to harken back to that '77-'81 period, because I simply feel zero connection to hate that team.

Since I'm 100% certain the Tigers will win tomorrow night, I'm left to hope for a Dodgers-Tigers World Series. Hey, that's two ancient teams who have never met in the Series before, so there's something to root for.

spacer.png

What are the rotation probables for the NLCS? Here's what I got...

Fri 10/11 Game 1: Dodgers (Greinke)@ Cardinals (Lynn/Wacha)

Sat 10/12 Game 2: Dodgers (Kershaw) @ Cardinals (Wacha/Lynn)

Mon 10/14 Game 3: Cardinals (Wainwright) @ Dodgers (Ryu)

Tue 10/15 Game 4: Cardinals (Kelly) @ Dodgers (Nolasco?)

*Wed 10/16 Game 5 Cardinals (?) @ Dodgers (?)

*Fri 10-18 Game 6: Dodgers (Greinke) @ Cardinals (Wacha)

*Sat 10-19 Game 7: Dodgers (Kershaw) @ Cardinals (Wainwright)

*If Necessary

The better team won tonight. Still a helluva season from the Pirates. 94 wins, made the NLDS, took the Cards to five games. I can't complain. It was a really fun ride.

So now what? Unlike...well...99% of the people here, I actually like the Cardinals. It was easy to root against them when they were playing the Pirates, but I don't hate the Cardinals at all. I have to admit that I'll be rooting for them from here on in.

Now I'm going to run for cover.... B)

BB52Big.jpg

No Lynn, please. Kelly game 1, Miller game 2, Waino 3 and Wacha 4, then back for Kelly in 5 if necessary. Him Waino and Wacha all pitch well on the road, Miller does better at home. Miller in 6 and Waino in game 7 if it gets that far.

Now ESPN Rick Sutcliffe expects Wacha for game 1 of the NLCS.

So if that's true, here's what I got:

Wacha in game 1, Kelly in game 2. Waino in game 3, Lynn or Miller in game 4, and then if necessary: Miller or Lynn in game 5, Wacha in game 6, Waino in game 7.

So now what? Unlike...well...99% of the people here, I actually like the Cardinals.

You'd better shape up and become a sore loser real quick. Smug Nation doesn't need your sportsmanship-rearing bowing down to their pillar of greatness.

QznIN.png

I'm personally rooting for the A's because those yellow primaries need more exposure. Otherwise we're looking at a bunch of drab shades of blue and some red.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Too bad the Yankees/Dodgers rivalry has essentially been relegated to history and I'm too young to harken back to that '77-'81 period, because I simply feel zero connection to hate that team.

Everyone at work keeps telling me I'm not allowed to root for the Dodgers. Hey sorry I'm the youngest person here by 15 years, but I don't remember when Dodgers-Reds was a rivalry. I remember when Cardinals-Reds was a rivalry and they and their fans are the biggest pain in the ass in sports so LET'S GO DODGERS.

The better team won tonight. Still a helluva season from the Pirates. 94 wins, made the NLDS, took the Cards to five games. I can't complain. It was a really fun ride.

So now what? Unlike...well...99% of the people here, I actually like the Cardinals. It was easy to root against them when they were playing the Pirates, but I don't hate the Cardinals at all. I have to admit that I'll be rooting for them from here on in.

Now I'm going to run for cover.... B)

Okay, that's fine.

* puts Infrared on "the list" *

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm rooting for the A's because I love Billy Beane and it's time he got rewarded. Plus, best uniforms in baseball.

I'm rooting for the Dodgers because f*** the St. Louis Cardinals forever. This is their 6th NLCS since 2004. Life's not fair. I hate sports. Sports are never. The bad guys always win.

Contingency plan if the Cardinals win the world series again: First, vomit. Second, accept that at least they won a respectable number of games in the regular season unlike the (disgrace to the world series) 06 team and the (luckiest baseball team ever) 11 team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Kinda disappointed that the Pirates are eliminated after Game 5. I was really rooting for them to go all the way. Oh well.

Seems the Cardinals would be capable of eliminating LA in the NLCS.

(It'd be kinda trippy if the Cardinals won the WS this year. Alternating between them and my Giants the past four years. Giants in '10 and '12 and the Cardinals '11 and possibly '13.)

Kinda disappointed that the Pirates are eliminated after Game 5. I was really rooting for them to go all the way. Oh well.

Seems the Cardinals would be capable of eliminating LA in the NLCS.

(It'd be kinda trippy if the Cardinals won the WS this year. Alternating between them and my Giants the past four years. Giants in '10 and '12 and the Cardinals '11 and possibly '13.)

As a Pirates fan, I had a really strange reaction to the game last night, not as disappointed as expected. The club really made a statement this season, destroying the losing streak with 94 wins, which was a big surprise. They're also young, have the probable 2013 NL MVP, a stacked farm system, a reengerized fan base, and a gorgeous stadium. A winning tradition as well, since only the Yankees, Cards, and Red Sox have won more world titles for their home cities. So at the end of the day, I'm more excited about the new chapter of Pirate baseball. Heck, even excited about what the new sleeve logo will look like.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pirates are better next year, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they're the 2009 Rays, 2013 Nationals, 2011 Reds, etc.

It takes a lot of things going right to get to 94 wins.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cardinals should start Miller and Wacha at home and save Kelly for the road. Waino could start Game 3 and then be ready for games 6 or 7 depending on how they wanted to play it.

I think Lynn is drastically underrated by many Cardinals fans. He's a good pitcher who has legitimately fallen into a lot of bad luck. Meanwhile, Joe Kelly is a fine pitcher who has frequently fallen into a lot of good luck. However, at some point, you have to admit that Kelly is more effective than Lynn right now. People are usually way to quick to start criticizing or extolling the mental strength of a player, but in this case, I think we've seen a large enough sample size to realize that Lance Lynn struggles in jams and Joe Kelly stays relatively even keel.

So it's not the least bit of a shot at Lance Lynn. He's a good pitcher. But I think you have to go with Kelly over him in this series. Lynn then becomes a long man and a weapon out of the bullpen.

Looking forward, I'd try to trade Lance Lynn if I were the Cardinals. He's a valuable pitcher as he's good and cost-controlled. But he's been a bit up and down with the Cardinals and they have the depth that they don't really need to wait on him to put it all together. So if they can get value back for him, I'd move him and wish him well.

Archived