Mr. Nascar's BFBS College Football Uniform Grades - Washington Huskies

LAWeaver

Welcome to the first annual Mr. Nascar's BFBS College Football Uniform Grades thread! (I'm kinda surprised that no one has posted something like this before) Here, I will be posting my opinions on college football teams, mainly at the FBS level, that are guilty for using black uniforms... well, just because they can. I actually happen to like black uniforms of any kind. But some BFBS uniforms are bad or make no sense at all (I'm looking at YOU, Stanford!) The whole point for this thread is BFBS, so please don't say your hatred towards them or questions as to why the use black; just your opinion of the overall design. Every few days, I will be posting a team that either previously or currently uses uniforms, helmets, or pants that are black that either improve or bring down the team's overall look. The first school up for debate will be The University of Washington Huskies!

IMG_9336.jpg

I give this set a B-. I kinda like the mono-black set, the purple numbers with the gold outline is pretty good, but I think the one thing that actually brings down the look is using the gold helmet. There is no black on it. I know, there was no black on it to begin with, tis not in their color palette, blah blah blah. I get that. But if you're gonna go BFBS, go head to toe. Go all out. The just went from the neck down. That's why I give it a B-.

So that's my opinion. Please, feel free to post your thoughts and your grade. College Football wouldn't be the same without BFBS uniforms!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

featured.jpg

unveiled before the season

They actually released a new black helmet with black stripes -- rumor on campus has it there are new black uniforms as well. They are keeping them under wraps pretty tightly! Glad to see the program actually on the national spotlight again, been a long road. The Tyrone Willingham year era is finally becoming a forgotten nightmare around Seattle.

I probably would have to give this one a C, not really a big fan of having a gold helmet. It seems like they just added a black jersey for gits and shiggles. If your're doing BFBS go all out, put some black on dat helmet! Wouldn't mind seeing a matte black helmet? I don't know how that would turn out exactly, but gold doesn't really go with the set.

Also, how often are you grading BFBS uniforms, once a week? Once a month?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I probably would have to give this one a C, not really a big fan of having a gold helmet. It seems like they just added a black jersey for gits and shiggles. If your're doing BFBS go all out, put some black on dat helmet! Wouldn't mind seeing a matte black helmet? I don't know how that would turn out exactly, but gold doesn't really go with the set.

Also, how often are you grading BFBS uniforms, once a week? Once a month?

Dude, do you not read before you post? Lol, they just released a matte black helmet.

DScruggy, I will be posting every few days.

The helmet they will wear against Oregon will be this:

Husky_blackhelmet.jpeg

With this helmet and the reported "Blackout" game this weekend against Oregon (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2013/10/09/morning-links-huskies-unveil-new-black-helmets-for-oregon-game/), the set stays at a B-. I think the purple needs to be a little darker because, in that lighting, it almost looks pink.

Stanford will either be up tonight or tomorrow.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The stripe is pink

Oh, ok. That won't affect my overall grade on Washington, but it does show how crazy the pink has gotten in football. NASCAR isn't as bad as football, because usually this weekend every season nearly 1/4 of the field has a pink car. The other weeks in October usually have a couple cars.

I thought it was said in the college football thread, but now I can't find it. it may not be pink.

Saw the helmet myself, its not pink. The purple matches the uniforms -- poor lighting/glare on the decal.

I thought it was said in the college football thread, but now I can't find it. it may not be pink.

You might be thinking of me asking if they were, i do believe its just the filter/lighting that is causing it though

Yes the logo is shiny like Texas Techs logos are.

Almost forgot about this thread. The next team up for grading is Stanford, who are used to grades.

42_10-Football_2012-09-08-_SCW1595-600x3

Here are the uniforms they used earlier in the year. I actually like them, but these are strictly BFBS. The white numbers look out of place with the red stripe and S on the helmet. If the stripe and S were white then it would look OK, and even red numbers would be alright, but since its BFBS, I give it a C-.

Then there are the black jerseys used during the Luck-era

628x471.jpg

Why? At least after the Luck-era, they had all black. the White helmet sticks out like a sore thumb and nothing on it goes with the jersey or pants. I give it a D.

Boise State may be next. Stay tuned!

I actually think the new Stanford look is better than the current Washington look simply BECAUSE the numbers are legible. Should the numbers and the helmet logo both match up? Probably, in this case, but red numbers on a black jersey would be too hard to see in my opinion. Maybe put a red outline on the numbers, and match the helmet logo treatment to the numbers, and you might just have an A; as it stands, I'll give it a B.

Current Washington jersey? C. I realize they want to emphasize the purple, and I know we tend to have HD televisions, but one of my to-the-heart rules is no dark colored numbers on similarly dark colored jerseys. No red-on-red (Angels baseball), no black-on-black (a team I saw in the ABA), no purple-on-black/dark-blue-on-black. Light blue on black maybe, or royal ONLY if it's handled right (like the best unis of the Georgia Force IIRC, but even then it's pushing things). White numbers with purple outlines and gold accents, maybe. Or gold numbers, purple border, black jersey. Done.

Also, the piping and "detail" seems lazy and uninspired. Needs work.

Old Stanford? I agree with the D. Plain white numbers....plain white helmet with one red stripe, sharp black pants with two red stripes (and a white one for some reason)...so many elements you could bring together....black helmet with r/w/r stripes to match the pants and a red outline on the numbers? WOW.

Old Washington? C-, I suppose. It has a lot wrong with it, including the purple numbers and the vivid gold domes instead of BFBS, plus some kind of crazy piping. However, for all those flaws, it's not bad--it uses all three colors well, with splashes of gold on the top (sleeve trim, number outlines) to match the helmet, plus the purple on the numbers is shinier than it seems on the newer ones, making it easier to read. Everything ties together about as well as it can--so I don't know if the synergy pulls a bad set up, or the flaws pull a decent set down.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived