St. Louis Cardinals Uniforms

Mitch B

The Cards are wearing their "St. Louis" jerseys at home today in the NLCS. I've typically preferred team names to city names on jerseys, but I really like these tops. They have an "old school" look to me. And come to think of it, they really don't need the name "Cardinals" on their jersey given the logo features the cardinals on the bat.

I like them too. But maybe make them away uniforms instead. And make the home unis cream-colored.

Why would they do that?

Oh yeah, I forgot, the world will explode if every team doesn't comply with the city-name-on-road-uniform thing.

On another Cardinals note, while I never had any issue with the team's previous use of navy for their road caps, I find the return of red caps with the grey uniforms a thing of beauty. They look really good.

I like them too. But maybe make them away uniforms instead. And make the home unis cream-colored.

Why would they do that?

Oh yeah, I forgot, the world will explode if every team doesn't comply with the city-name-on-road-uniform thing.

well it makes sense for the city name to be on the road, so the home fans know where you are from, and team name at home because the home fans already know where the game is being played so the team name makes sense

Why would they do that?

well it makes sense for the city name to be on the road, so the home fans know where you are from, and team name at home because the home fans already know where the game is being played so the team name makes sense

Or any confused fans could just take a looksie at their program.

I would venture that the idea for putting the city name on the road jerseys predates the Information Age. It was probably more of a practicality a century ago, particularly with non-Major League teams that didn't get much media coverage.

Leave the homes alone and put St. Louis on the roads. No cream primary homes or piping on either home or aways. The plain white with the birds on the bat are perfect. I still prefer the navy cap on the road, though not because I think the red looks bad. The navy cap is just my personal preference. I'd prefer no alt, but if they insist, place Cardinals on it (in the instance that St. Louis is put on the aways) and switch the Sunday cap to be worn with it. Really gives it more of a classic feel as their old caps were navy and red when they wore cream jerseys. Plus all that red looks awkward with cream. Not the best color to match up with cream. Just the navy crown would probably help.

I'm kind of surprised that I liked today's jerseys. The Cards have worn pretty much the same logo and wordmark on all of their tops in the 40+ years I've watched baseball, and I've always thought they were the best in MLB.

Leave the homes alone and put St. Louis on the roads. No cream primary homes or piping on either home or aways.

I agree that they don't need any piping on the jerseys. The Cards have a nice clean look and the jersey logo & wordmark offer adequate highlights.

Now we need the Phillies to finally have a road uniform with their city name, it's doable using the same style.

No it's not. There's a prototype out there and Philadelphia is just too long for that font. Plus "Phillies" is essentially a shortened version of the city name anyway so it's ok as it is.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to see the Cardinals use a modern-cut light blue uniform with similar Navy/White/Red striping as the 1980s uniforms (maybe thinner). I'd even be tempted to put that striping on the regular home and/or road. I'd actually keep the "St. Louis" on the cream alt and put it on the light blue road alt. That way, you have much of the team's uniform history in 2 home alts and 2 road alts., at least colorwise.

Now we need the Phillies to finally have a road uniform with their city name, it's doable using the same style.

No it's not. There's a prototype out there and Philadelphia is just too long for that font. Plus "Phillies" is essentially a shortened version of the city name anyway so it's ok as it is.
I think a number of city names are too long to look good on a jersey. I'd like to see teams like San Francisco & Kansas City opt to use initials on their away tops.

They need a complete overhaul. They've had the same crappy red pinstripes for about 20 years now. Nasty home uni's. They should go back to their older colors of maroon and light blue. And I'm a 'Philly' fan.

do what the sixers do and use "philla"

I don't have the perspective of a Philadelphian or a Phillies fan, but doesn't your baseball team's nickname provide a unique identity and association with the city?

BTW, I liked the Phillies' uniforms of the 70's and 80's. I liked the "P" logo and the colors they used during that time.

Archived