Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

You really think Brandiose is gonna pass up doing a cute cartoon narwhal?  That's right up their alley.  I can picture little stuffed narwhals now.....

Oh a narwhal will be the logo and mascot for sure... But just maybe called Sea Unicorns so the demographic can expand to all kids under the age of 6...🙄

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Oh a narwhal will be the logo and mascot for sure... But just maybe called Sea Unicorns so the demographic can expand to all kids under the age of 6...🙄

"Maybe" the team will be dubbed the Sea Unicorns? This is Brandiose we're talking about. As such, I'd say that "maybe" there's a chance that the team will luck out and be dubbed Narwhals.

The Name-the-Team "contest" has been set up with two of the candidate identities - Narwhals and Sea Unicorns - referencing the same creature (Narwhals are described as "the Unicorn of the Sea" in the team name rationale). That's a sure sign that Brandiose is leaning towards one of those two identities as the front-runner. Given the choice between the relatively staid Narwhals name and the over-the-top Sea Unicorns sobriquet, which do you think Brandiose - the design firm that gave us, amongst others, such monikers as Rumble Ponies, Sod Poodles, and Trash Pandas - is truly championing to team management?

As I said, "maybe" there's a chance that the minor league baseball fans of Southeastern Connecticut get to root on the Norwich Narwhals. That said, I think there are much better odds that the Norwich Sea Unicorns take the field, with a primary mark focused upon said namesake mythical creature in all of its single-horned, maned, foreleg-hoofed, and fluke-tailed glory. Perhaps a secondary mark depicting an actual narwhal will be included in the branding package in order to appease adults who want to purchase some team gear.

Oh... and I won't be at all surprised if the team's uniforms are eventually unveiled with marketing-speak breathlessly declaring that "the Sea Unicorns are the first professional sports franchise to take the field in home, road and alternate Sunday uniforms featuring rainbow glitter-accented logos, numbering, and piping."      

On 9/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, Green27 said:

I realize it's a bit late, but let's appreciate some teams that will be leaving us next season. There aren't nearly as many teams relocating this off-season as last. 

The AA (Angels) Mobile Bay Bears are relocating to Huntsville, Alabama to become the Rocket City Trash Pandas. They had been in Mobile since moving from North Carolina in 1997.

The New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA Marlins) will be moving to Wichita, Kansas to play as the yet to be named Wichita ________. They had been in New Orleans since they moved from Denver in 1993 (as the Zephyrs).

1. You forgot the Kannapolis Intimidators, who will be getting a new name on October 23

2. The reason why there aren't many relocations or brand changes this offseason is because minor league affiliate deals are done in multiples of two years (assuming the major league affiliate doesn't own the team already) and run out after seasons in even-numbered years, and any potential relocations are planned during those times. As of now, the only one after 2020 is Pawtucket to Worcester.

• Like 1

Thanks, I knew I had to be missing one somewhere! Yeah, the changes haven't been all that crazy compared to the affiliation shuffle, Elmore group remix, and California league deaths of the last few years. 

Also, IE Norwich: Give me Narwals or give me Navigators gosh darn it!

spacer.png

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

Well...RIP to Connecticut's cartoon tiger...you were too good for this trend-chasing world.

May the Norwich Narwhals swim in the ocean, causing a commotion cause they are so awesome 😁

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

NEWS OUT OF THE FRONTIER LEAGUE:

They are having a major announcement on Wednesday. I'm guessing, as few people are, they and the Cam-Am League are going to merge and form a new independent league.

Also, the Florence Freedom are changing their name. With new ownership, they are taking the opportunity to create their own brand. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Wichita Baseball 2020 unveiled another of its potential team identities back on October 2nd. Rather than revealing a possible team name alongside an illustration, this time just a logo was shared, along with the following message: 

"Alright, we've taken your feedback and most of you have said it's time to get serious. We're switchin' it up a bit. What do you think the name of this logo should be?"
Rn3oK59l.jpg

This logo would work for a number of team names - Wichita Windwagons... Wichita Wagonmasters... Wichita Prairie Schooners... Wichita Prairie Clippers.

Walt Disney Presents "The Saga of Windwagon Smith" 
Wichita Riverfest - Admiral Windwagon Smith
Wichita Wagonmasters - "The History of the Wichita Wagonmasters"

So, to date, Wichita Baseball 2020 has unveiled Wichita River RidersWichita 29ersWichita Doo DahsWichita Linemen, and this Windwagon-inspired design.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Wichita Baseball 2020 unveiled another of its potential team identities back on October 2nd. Rather than revealing a possible team name alongside an illustration, this time just a logo was shared, along with the following message: 

"Alright, we've taken your feedback and most of you have said it's time to get serious. We're switchin' it up a bit. What do you think the name of this logo should be?"
Rn3oK59l.jpg

This logo would work for a number of team names - Wichita Windwagons... Wichita Wagonmasters... Wichita Prairie Schooners... Wichita Prairie Clippers.

Walt Disney Presents "The Saga of Windwagon Smith" 
Wichita Riverfest - Admiral Windwagon Smith
Wichita Wagonmasters - "The History of the Wichita Wagonmasters"

So, to date, Wichita Baseball 2020 has unveiled Wichita River RidersWichita 29ersWichita Doo DahsWichita Linemen, and this Wichita Windwagon-inspired design.

Doo Dahs??? Good God....

Texas.gif

And the nine remaining teams of the Frontier League have brought the Can-Am's five onboard, thereby giving us the potential of a Southern Illinois Miners vs. Sussex County Miners series. Winning team gets to take a leak on Margaret Thatcher's grave.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I am genuinely curious what they're going to do with the Miners and the Miners. They're in different divisions, as per that post, but I can't imagine they'd bring in the CAL teams and then essentially shunt them off into their own subleague with no overlap. I have to think we'll see a rebrand or three in the next few months.

42 minutes ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I am genuinely curious what they're going to do with the Miners and the Miners. They're in different divisions, as per that post, but I can't imagine they'd bring in the CAL teams and then essentially shunt them off into their own subleague with no overlap. I have to think we'll see a rebrand or three in the next few months.

I don't know about that.  Neither team should really have to give up its identity on account of this merger.  College games of the sort of "Wildcats vs. Wildcats" happen, and it harms nothing.  Then we have frequent soccer matches between two teams both called "United".  And let's not forget the CFL's old Roughriders / Rough Riders situation, which is exactly analogous to this, in that it resulted from the merger of two leagues.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

At this point the Atlantic League and American Association should merge too. Supposedly New Britain is leaving the Atlantic League, leaving them with an uneven team count, not to mention their lone team outside the Atlantic footprint in Sugar Land Texas. The American Association may or may not lose Kansas City. The T-Bones were just evicted from their stadium, and are looking for a buyer.

Signature intentionally left blank

I guess I'm one of the few who find the Rocket City Trash Pandas to actually be really good as it ties in the NASA angle with an animal that is extremely common to the area. I typically don't like the over the top Brandiose stuff, but the Trash Pandas is actually very well done. The logos and identity are fantastic. I'll buy three caps and a shirt. I think it's an iconic name/identity and it will not only last but flourish. 

For Wichita. I like the Lineman reference, but it seems odd for baseball.  One creative idea I kinda liked was the 'Twisters' thus setting up a natural rivalry with the 'Storm Chasers'. Since it's the Marlins affiliate and Wichita is apparently a big aviation place, the 'Flying Fish' was another suggestion I saw. I think that's pretty good as I like when minor league teams make a subtle connection to the parent squad while creating their own identity. The only issue with that identity is are the Marlins and Wichita going to be together in a decade? The geography doesn't lead one to think it's likely to be a long term partnership and I've got to think Miami would eventually want something in the east and one would think there are other teams that fit Wichita better.

4 hours ago, Rebuy said:

I guess I'm one of the few who find the Rocket City Trash Pandas to actually be really good as it ties in the NASA angle with an animal that is extremely common to the area. I typically don't like the over the top Brandiose stuff, but the Trash Pandas is actually very well done. The logos and identity are fantastic. I'll buy three caps and a shirt. I think it's an iconic name/identity and it will not only last but flourish. 

My issue is just that the name is a meme, and memes don't tend to last. They could have been the Rocket City Raccoons, though Marvel might have needed a bit of cajoling, or perhaps the Madison Raccoons if it didn't work with the comic books folk, and used all the same logos (probably swapping the garbage can for a rocket, but other than that). Trash Pandas seems like a Brandiose, "Hey, we think this would be kind of funny and we can make a kind of clever logo for it," sort of deal, and within a decade or so it'll go the way of Baby Cakes. They'll sell hats across the country, just like all the fun names (53% of RubberDucks gear goes out-of-state), but how well will they connect to the people in town and in-state?

4 hours ago, Rebuy said:

For Wichita. I like the Lineman reference, but it seems odd for baseball.  One creative idea I kinda liked was the 'Twisters' thus setting up a natural rivalry with the 'Storm Chasers'. Since it's the Marlins affiliate and Wichita is apparently a big aviation place, the 'Flying Fish' was another suggestion I saw. I think that's pretty good as I like when minor league teams make a subtle connection to the parent squad while creating their own identity. The only issue with that identity is are the Marlins and Wichita going to be together in a decade? The geography doesn't lead one to think it's likely to be a long term partnership and I've got to think Miami would eventually want something in the east and one would think there are other teams that fit Wichita better.

Linemen could work with baseball. Foul line, line drive, there are connections to be made, and it's a good name in general (if a bit old-fashioned for the sad state of modern minor league baseball). I like Flying Fish, as something with a connection to the parent team that could be kept even if the affiliation changed. See the Indianapolis Indians, founded as a Braves affiliate many, many years ago (they were still in Boston) but keeping the name through plenty of reaffiliations.