BigMac12

Minor-League, Indy & Summer Collegiate Baseball Logo / Uni Changes

Recommended Posts

That makes sense. Very similar to the Lodi (CA) Crushers of the Great West League, which I worked in last summer. In my opinion, they executed the wine/grapes connection fairly well:

 

lodi-crushers-new-logo.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Mojo Maniac said:

That makes sense. Very similar to the Lodi (CA) Crushers of the Great West League, which I worked in last summer. In my opinion, they executed the wine/grapes connection fairly well:

 

lodi-crushers-new-logo.png

It looks like a purple Uncle Rico...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

It looks like a purple Uncle Rico...

How much ya wanna bet he could hit a ball over them mountains?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Mojo Maniac said:

How much ya wanna bet he could hit a ball over them mountains?

Back in High School he could hit a ball a quarter-mile... 

 

What's funny, is the guy who played Uncle Rico was actually a baseball player :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2017 at 8:46 PM, nash61 said:

Eeee...

 

(Florida Fire Frogs)

 

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.44.58 PM.png

 

(Florida Gators)

 

logo_-university-of-florida-gators-orang

 

 

 

It also reminds me of the Cal State Fullerton baseball team logo.....

 

csuf-256.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Salt Lake Bees will be doing a one-off "Angels Night" on July 15th vs. Sacramento. They are apparently honoring the 15th anniversary of the Angels' World Series title with Angels inspired uniforms and a replica championship ring giveaway. 

 

IMG_5825.JPG

 

I would've liked to see how an "SL" with a halo could've worked on the cap instead, and that unfinished photoshop job is pretty funny (see pants stripe), but other than that, this isn't too bad for a one-off. I think the fans will really like it; because of their long-standing affiliation here, there's TONS of Angels fans in both the Salt Lake and Utah Valley areas, so I'm sure this will strike a chord with them. 

 

Its also kinda funny that it's against Sacramento - a Giants affiliate. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

The Salt Lake Bees will be doing a one-off "Angels Night" on July 15th vs. Sacramento. They are apparently honoring the 15th anniversary of the Angels' World Series title with Angels inspired uniforms and a replica championship ring giveaway. 

 

IMG_5825.JPG

 

I would've liked to see how an "SL" with a halo could've worked on the cap instead, and that unfinished photoshop job is pretty funny (see pants stripe), but other than that, this isn't too bad for a one-off. I think the fans will really like it; because of their long-standing affiliation here, there's TONS of Angels fans in both the Salt Lake and Utah Valley areas, so I'm sure this will strike a chord with them. 

 

 

Right, an "SL" cap with the halo worked in would be a good idea.

Of course, Salt Lake don't even use their great "SL" logo on their caps normally, which is crazy.  They have a great monogram, that they use on various materials and apparel.

 

 

Image result for salt lake bees     Image result for salt lake bees

 

 

That monogram would be a perfect cap logo.  Yet they inexplicably use graphic bee logo on the cap.

 

 

bees.jpg 

 

 

The bee logo is cute enough.

 

 

bees logo.gif 

 

 

But, when seen from a distance, it looks like nothing at all.  So, unlike the graphic logos of the Orioles and the Blue Jays, this bee logo doesn't belong on the cap.  The uniforms would be perfect with an "SL" cap.

 

I frequently argue that a minor-league team should look like its parent club; but I have to admit that Salt Lake look very good in their own style and colour scheme.   Even still, seeing the name "Salt Lake" spelt out in Angels letters and colours is just so satisfying.  If that sort of thing were the norm, then I could more easily swallow the separate identities of some minor-league teams.  Also, those separate identities would be less annoying if more minor-league teams had names and uniforms as sharp and dignified as Salt Lake's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

 

Right, an "SL" cap with the halo worked in would be a good idea.

Of course, Salt Lake don't even use their great "SL" logo on their caps normally, which is crazy.  They have a great monogram, that they use on various materials and apparel.

 

 

Image result for salt lake bees     Image result for salt lake bees

 

 

That monogram would be a perfect cap logo.  Yet they inexplicably use graphic bee logo on the cap.

 

 

bees.jpg 

 

 

The bee logo is cute enough.

 

 

bees logo.gif 

 

 

But, when seen from a distance, it looks like nothing at all.  So, unlike the graphic logos of the Orioles and the Blue Jays, this bee logo doesn't belong on the cap.  The uniforms would be perfect with an "SL" cap.

 

I frequently argue that a minor-league team should look like its parent club; but I have to admit that Salt Lake look very good in their own style and colour scheme.   Even still, seeing the name "Salt Lake" spelt out in Angels letters and colours is just so satisfying.  If that sort of thing were the norm, then I could more easily swallow the separate identities of some minor-league teams.  Also, those separate identities would be less annoying if more minor-league teams had names and uniforms as sharp and dignified as Salt Lake's.

 

I'm in agreement with you from top to bottom! 

 

I feel like the Bees are very close to nailing it. I own a black cap with the "SL", and it's beautiful. Really all they need to do altogether in my book is make the "SL" cap primary, and keep the Bee to sleeves-only all across the board. Then they've got it. Otherwise, as it stands, they're stuck in "Oh, Almost!" territory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bees look way too much like a Pittsburgh affiliate, which isn't bad at all, it's just that they aren't a Pittsburgh affiliate. They need something Angels-y in the mix, whether it's a touch of red (a team named the Bees has zero latitude in color scheme), a halo on the B in "Bees," or the Angels' lettering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized something annoying about the Bees' logo: the black shape between the hand, head, and body. It doesn't need to be there at all.

58bd830bd5193_beeslogo.gif.e813ea29646cd0cdfb003005923e78bb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm.  That's not on all versions of the logo - this is their twitter profile pic.

 

Salt Lake Bees

 

Note also the wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Hmm.  That's not on all versions of the logo - this is their twitter profile pic.

 

Salt Lake Bees

 

Note also the wings.

I was about to say, that looks like an updated version, which looks a lot better. Maybe the one I posted is the previous version, but I was referring to the one posted earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bees did update/clean up the logo (as well as introducing a new number font to match the wordmark) recently. I can't remember if it was last season or two seasons ago, but that was an official change.

 

Here's a look at the new numbers, fairly subtle but noticeable when compared to the wordmark:

 

IMG_5838.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

 

I'm in agreement with you from top to bottom! 

 

I feel like the Bees are very close to nailing it. I own a black cap with the "SL", and it's beautiful. Really all they need to do altogether in my book is make the "SL" cap primary, and keep the Bee to sleeves-only all across the board. Then they've got it. Otherwise, as it stands, they're stuck in "Oh, Almost!" territory. 

 

It seems as "Oh, Almost" applies to the majority of Utah-based teams. The Jazz's previous (and even current IMO) set is a shade of purple away (and a couple tweaks) from being great/long-lasting, BYU's a shade of royal(or even royalish) blue away from looking fantastic, Utah State needs to add serifs to their 1s (and bring back pants stripes for football), and so forth. That said, the Bees hit much closer to greatness than many of them, where the only swap is the cartoon Bee logo for the beloved interlocking "SL." (I, too, have a primarily yellow SL hat and it's excellent.)

 

I've grown on the idea of the Bees introducing just a hint of, say, red to their color scheme for affiliate's. Maybe a silver (or to keep local flavor, copper) halo on the "Bees" B, but that's about it. I believe the original Bees (or the most well-known historical incarnation of them) were a Pirates affiliate IIRC, which leads to the very Pittsburgh-esque color scheme.

 

Oh, and speaking of the Bees and special uniform nights,

 

 

I so badly want one of those Gulls hats and/or jerseys (and we get to see Albuquerque Dukes uniforms too!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League will unveil their new logo on March 15! Expect some kind of a vineyard-themed brand...

17202961_10154639210153043_5783655321330007439_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 1:05 PM, DustDevil61 said:

 

It seems as "Oh, Almost" applies to the majority of Utah-based teams. The Jazz's previous (and even current IMO) set is a shade of purple away (and a couple tweaks) from being great/long-lasting, BYU's a shade of royal(or even royalish) blue away from looking fantastic, Utah State needs to add serifs to their 1s (and bring back pants stripes for football), and so forth. That said, the Bees hit much closer to greatness than many of them, where the only swap is the cartoon Bee logo for the beloved interlocking "SL." (I, too, have a primarily yellow SL hat and it's excellent.)

 

I've grown on the idea of the Bees introducing just a hint of, say, red to their color scheme for affiliate's. Maybe a silver (or to keep local flavor, copper) halo on the "Bees" B, but that's about it. I believe the original Bees (or the most well-known historical incarnation of them) were a Pirates affiliate IIRC, which leads to the very Pittsburgh-esque color scheme.

 

Oh, and speaking of the Bees and special uniform nights,

 

 

I so badly want one of those Gulls hats and/or jerseys (and we get to see Albuquerque Dukes uniforms too!).

 

Yes on the "oh, almost" part! It really seems that way for Utah teams across the board. I'd throw RSL in there too. I think they're close, but not right on. I do think the Bees are the best looking team in the state for sure though.

 

I could get behind the Bees working in a slight amount of red if done tastefully; maybe baseball's very own early 90's Canucks? I always loved that look, and if the Bees worked a balance of black first, gold second, and red trim, it could certainly work. Otherwise, Pirates-ish as it may be, as-is would be the next best thing. 

 

Oh, and I'm stoked Gulls night is coming back. I got me a Gulls shirt last year and love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JaMikePA said:

The Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League will unveil their new logo on March 15! Expect some kind of a vineyard-themed brand...

17202961_10154639210153043_5783655321330007439_n.jpg

Was just about to post this.  It will be a vineyard theme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Was just about to post this.  It will be a vineyard theme. 

 

This makes me nervous. I remember they sold that concept for the original fan vote. I think I voted for Redtails back then.

 

Although I'm not a huge fan of the original look, I still have my original cap and inaugural game ticket stub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek said:

 

This makes me nervous. I remember they sold that concept for the original fan vote. I think I voted for Redtails back then.

 

Although I'm not a huge fan of the original look, I still have my original cap and inaugural game ticket stub.

The problem was the previous owner, as I have started many times, didn't do anything with the branding after it was revealed. I live 10 minutes from there and when I worked as an intern in 2015, I had to ask why they were named the Crushers. Some of the FULL TIME employees didn't know the history, and that's not right. The new owner is really great at what he does and he wants to reflect it in the branding. The staff is wonderful and they're on the same page almost every day. 

 

I did like the branding when it came out, but when you see it often and learn the back story of why those logos were picked, they are not good. The current owner hated the interlocking LE. I didn't mind it in 2-D, but I never liked the 3-D effects on the logo and script. I'm excited for this branding considering I knew about it last season(being an intern and being close with the staff has its perks). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.