BigMac12

Minor-League, Indy & Summer Collegiate Baseball Logo / Uni Changes

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

Have the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers really been a thing for a quarter century already?

 

They were still the Appleton Foxes when my family moved to the area and I always thought that was a superior name. 

 

So somewhat of a related, funny story that happened two summers ago. 

 

My family has tickets to the local summer collegiate team (I really should post the logos from that league in this thread, there's a lot of stinkers) with those seats being in the second row next to the visitors dugout, so the on-deck batter is right in front of us. I have a Timber Rattlers hat and I was wearing it at one of the games. The on-deck batter turns to us and starts asking me about my hat and why I had it.

 

Turns out, he's from Appleton.

 

He gets stranded on base and someone brings out his glove and hat so he stays out in the field but once that half of the inning is done, he comes back and starts talking to me about my hat and the Rattlers again.

 

So this American guy is playing a baseball game in a Western Canadian summer collegiate league and happens to run into someone wearing his local single-A minor league team. I like to think I blew his mind and he told this story to everyone from back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice uniforms, except for the “inaugural season” plastered under the home script

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, monkeypower said:

 

So somewhat of a related, funny story that happened two summers ago. 

 

My family has tickets to the local summer collegiate team (I really should post the logos from that league in this thread, there's a lot of stinkers) with those seats being in the second row next to the visitors dugout, so the on-deck batter is right in front of us. I have a Timber Rattlers hat and I was wearing it at one of the games. The on-deck batter turns to us and starts asking me about my hat and why I had it.

 

Turns out, he's from Appleton.

 

He gets stranded on base and someone brings out his glove and hat so he stays out in the field but once that half of the inning is done, he comes back and starts talking to me about my hat and the Rattlers again.

 

So this American guy is playing a baseball game in a Western Canadian summer collegiate league and happens to run into someone wearing his local single-A minor league team. I like to think I blew his mind and he told this story to everyone from back home.


Awesome story!  Even though I consider myself much more from Milwaukee, I think I would be more excited to see Timber Rattlers paraphernalia than Brewers in my travels simply because the odds are so much more rare.  And they're still more than likely Brewers fans who I can talk baseball to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hope the Potholes hat and uniform would look better than that.  Just that wordmark alone is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jumbo Shrimp, Shuckers, Blue Wahoos to play Seafood Buffet Series

April 10, 2019 - 23:29 PM

It’s not by accident that three minor league baseball teams in the Double-A Southern League have seafood-themed team names. The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp play on Florida’s Atlantic Coast, while the Pensacola Blue Wahoos and Biloxi Shuckers are situated on the […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muy interesante...

 

(Suddenly I'm craving some skrimp.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic! Things like this are why I love minor league baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connecticut Cutters rolls off the tongue nicely, and would have a double meaning with the cut fastball, and the Coast Guard cutters. The U.S. Coast Guard Academy is in New London, Connecticut. 

 

sent.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Norwich has a significant Colonial and Revolutionary War history and is known for its harbor formed by the convergence of three rivers, which has long been associated with the shipping industry. But my bet is the new name will have something to do with Norwhich’s nickname, the Rose of New England, which, given that the team is working with Brandiose to develop the new identity, seems to lend itself to a logo with some sort of anthropomorphized flower swinging a thorn like a baseball bat.

 

053.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booooo.

 

1 hour ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

There are 160 affiliated Minor League Baseball teams, and as of right now, 136 of them have unique, locally appropriate nicknames, which is the fun and morally correct stupid and cheesy thing to do.

 

Fixed that for you.

 

This change is particularly unfortunate because the Connecticut Tigers are an example of how a minor league team should be named and should be outfitted.  They look just like their parent club, and even feature a letter logo in the style of the parent club.

 

Related image

 

 

Image result for connecticut tigers

 

//fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_2280000/altimages/ff_2280974alt1_full.jpg&w=325

 


Not only do these guys look like professional ballplayers, but any observer could tell at a glance what organistation the team is affiliated with.  To dump this classic identity and look for some goofy local kitch is criminal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure can't wait for another adjective-noun name, with a logo that consists of an anthropomorphic object, grinding it's teeth with it's circular eyes close together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree.  Having the same name as the parent club is boring and lazy to me.  Having a unique branding with a local connection is great if done correctly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I disagree.  Having the same name as the parent club is boring and lazy to me.  Having a unique branding with a local connection is great if done correctly.  

 

And yet they rolled with Brandiose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Booooo.

 

 

Fixed that for you.

 

This change is particularly unfortunate because the Connecticut Tigers are an example of how a minor league team should be named and should be outfitted.  They look just like their parent club, and even feature a letter logo in the style of the parent club.

 

Related image

 

 

Image result for connecticut tigers

 

//fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_2280000/altimages/ff_2280974alt1_full.jpg&w=325

 


Not only do these guys look like professional ballplayers, but any observer could tell at a glance what organistation the team is affiliated with.  To dump this classic identity and look for some goofy local kitch is criminal.


I think there's a little more nuance to these things. Some minor league cities offer themselves up to some truly great, time-tested identities (Buffalo Bisons, San Antonio Missions, Toledo Mud Hens, etc.).  But others are just better off adopting the parent club's identity or some sort of spin off.

The great thing about the Connecticut Tigers uniforms is that they don't actually say Tigers.  You can call them whatever you want and they can still look like this.

That said... another f-ing Brandiose rebrand?  I really wish they would stick with the Tigers identity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I think there's a little more nuance to these things. Some minor league cities offer themselves up to some truly great, time-tested identities (Buffalo Bisons, San Antonio Missions, Toledo Mud Hens, etc.)

 

You are right about that; I shouldn't have oversimplified. I agree with all the examples you cited; and I would throw the Durham Bulls and the Indianapolis Indians into that set.  But that's about it.  The way I see it, the teams we mentioned count as exceptions; for the vast majority of minor league teams, being named after the parent club is the right move.

 

Furthermore, even a team with a unique nickname can look like its parent club.  When the Buffalo Bisons were affilliated with the White Sox, their uniforms looked like the White Sox.  When they were affilliated with the Indians, their uniforms looked like the Indians.

 

 

71707-1Fr.jpg     1987-buffalo-bisons-junior-noboa.jpg

 

 

Now that they are affilliated with the Blue Jays, they have done specialty days in which they wore Jays-themed uniforms, which should be their regular look.

 

 

Image result for buffalo bisons jays uniforms     Image result for buffalo bisons jays uniforms

 

 

 

The Connecticut Tigers had both the name and the look.  And they are throwing it away for what will likely be some trendy crap. 
 

 

36 minutes ago, NicDB said:

The great thing about the Connecticut Tigers uniforms is that they don't actually say Tigers.  You can call them whatever you want and they can still look like this.

 

That is true for the home uniform; even a change of nickname would not necessitate a change of home uniform. 

But their road uniform says "Tigers", in a script that is the same as the parent club's "Detroit".  Of course, this could be changed to spell out any new nickname, and the look would remain intact.

 

Related image

 

 

 

Anyway, at least I can console myself with the Syracuse Mets' change in the right direction.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.