BigMac12

Minor-League, Indy & Summer Collegiate Baseball Logo / Uni Changes

On 4/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, DNAsports said:

Salt Lake Bees with City Edition uniforms:

You know, the Astros would look really good in a jersey like this.

York Revolution of the independent Atlantic League go with White Sox inspired new alternate uniforms this season:

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

York Revolution of the independent Atlantic League go with White Sox inspired new alternate uniforms this season:

That's terrible...looks like a soccer jersey.

2 hours ago, mjd77 said:

It's not terrible. It looks like a great soccer jersey. 

3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

No it doesn’t, it looks like a bad version of the Sox jersey. If anything it’s a bad replica of the jazz alternate from a couple years ago

47 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

It's not terrible. It looks like one of those horrible soccer jersey from the 90s.

Fixed your quote

On 4/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, AstroBull21 said:

Google is your friend...

ff_3343152-d797ed7f2c7be665be81alt1_fullff_3343153-1c71ea19bbea351c5f58alt1_full9611748_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1&wid=1230&he

gallery_xlarge.jpg

Is it me, or does every region of the country not automatically known for something else try to claim they're a hub for craft brewing now?

10 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Is it me, or does every region of the country not automatically known for something else try to claim they're a hub for craft brewing now?

Maybe they're not automatically known for something else because there's nothing there to do, so without something better to do they end up brewing beer in their spare time?

I live in Roanoke (Salem is right next door).

This is not a craft brewing hub by any stretch of the imagination.

Hell, one of the big stories this week was Deschutes essentially pulling the plug on building their East Coast headquarters here.

I’ve long believed that, in isolation, every human society will develop three things:

1. A system of governance;
  2. A mythology; and 
  3. An alcoholic beverage, made from whatever’s on hand. 

You only have cereal grains?  Ferment those.  Beer if you’ve also got hops, vodka if you don’t.  If you’ve got lots of sugar cane about, try some rum. Only have rice?  That means sake.  Kampai! 😛 

I always liked this bit from Wikipedia:

Timeline of Irish inventions and discoveries

Irish inventions and discoveries are objects, processes or techniques which owe their existence either partially or entirely to an Irish person. Often, things which are discovered for the first time, are also called "inventions", and in many cases, there is no clear line between the two. Below is a list of such inventions.

Pre-history

14th centuryEdit

17th centuryEdit

It took over 200 years before the Irish invented something after the invention of whiskey. I wonder why.... 

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

It took over 200 years before the Irish invented something after the invention of whiskey. I wonder why.... 

300px-Elizabeth_I_(Armada_Portrait).jpg

Gross oversimplification, I know. Still, I’d argue that fending off nascent British imperialism had something to do with it. 

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

300px-Elizabeth_I_(Armada_Portrait).jpg

Gross oversimplification, I know. Still, I’d argue that fending off nascent British imperialism had something to do with it. 

Tiocfaidh ár la

Toledo Mud Hens honor 180th Fighter Wing as Stingers

April 16, 2019 - 22:28 PM

The Toledo Mud Hens will commemorate Military Appreciation Weekend by taking the nickname of the Ohio National Guard’s 180th Fighter Wing—Stingers—as their own for two games June 28 and 29. The 180th Fighter Wing is based out of nearby Swanton, […]

Read More...

More and more I tend to dislike when minor league teams are either identical to or use their parent club’s colors. Have some originality and at least SOME fun when it comes to your identity.

49 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

More and more I tend to dislike when minor league teams are either identical to or use their parent club’s colors. Have some originality and at least SOME fun when it comes to your identity.

I feel like this is another rule that needs nuance to be applied. 

Mostly, if we're talking about clubs like the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Staten Island Yankees, or the San Jose Giants; then I get it. Those teams all play in towns where most of the people are fans of the parent club, anyway. Why shouldn't they want to capitalize on that?

But situations like Oklahoma City Dodgers are annoying. Why would anyone from Oklahoma care about the Dodgers? I could maybe see taking cues from the Dodgers uniforms since they are so iconic. But they really could stand to think of a better name.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I feel like this is another rule that needs nuance to be applied. 

Mostly, if we're talking about clubs like the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Staten Island Yankees, or the San Jose Giants; then I get it. Those teams all play in towns where most of the people are fans of the parent club, anyway. Why shouldn't they want to capitalize on that?

But situations like Oklahoma City Dodgers are annoying. Why would anyone from Oklahoma care about the Dodgers? I could maybe see taking cues from the Dodgers uniforms since they are so iconic. But they really could stand to think of a better name.

In saying that, if the minor league team uses the major league name, I think it's important for the team have their own branding that sort of separates the team from their major league team.

Pawtucket is great example of what I'm getting at as their branding is based around bear logos and the team is referred to as the PawSox. You can look at Boston Red Sox shirt and a Pawtucket Red Sox shirt and tell the difference.

(For the record, mark me down as being in favour of MiLB teams having their own identities and not being copies of their MLB affiliate)

I tend to have a problem with the Orioles minor league teams. They all use the same orange, black, white color scheme. Aside from Norfolk, who know, has a great identity. It gets boring. It pretty much feels and looks like if you’re a player, you’re on the same team your entire time in the Orioles farm system.