BigMac12

Minor-League, Indy & Summer Collegiate Baseball Logo / Uni Changes

36 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

It pretty much feels and looks like if you’re a player, you’re on the same team your entire time in the Orioles farm system.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?  These players are desperate to get to the Show; I think they’re the ones who would most like to identify with the big club.  

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?  These players are desperate to get to the Show; I think they’re the ones who would most like to identify with the big club.  

I never said it was a bad thing. What I’m saying is, it would do some teams a lot of good to try to differentiate themselves from the parent club. Parent club colors are fine, but at least try a little better than a copy and paste mentality.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed. I know some college baseball players from Missouri State who were drafted, and their twitter bios rarely (if ever) mention the minor league team they happen to be playing for at the time - and even if it did, they'd have to change it whenever they moved to a new team. Instead, it says something like "Pitcher in the Padres system" or "In the Cardinals minor league system." These players may like their minor league teams, they may even enjoy living in those towns, but they identify with the big league club that picked them in the draft and that is developing them as they aim for the big leagues.

For example, my hometown Frederick Keys who are part of the Orioles farm system, are partly just late 90s Orioles ripoffs. You’d think for a team named after the National Anthem poet, they’d be a little bit more red, white, and blue and/or musical with their identity. Don’t get me wrong, they have a great professional baseball uniform, but IMO they’re identity is a bit misconstrued.

Someone had said something about how the OKC Dodgers don’t need to be a rip-off of the LA Dodgers and I agree. They can still be named the Dodgers, but they could focus their identity on Rodeo Clowns being bull “Dodgers” or something along those lines. I’d imagine the rodeo scene in Oklahoma is relatively big?

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Someone had said something about how the OKC Dodgers don’t need to be a rip-off of the LA Dodgers and I agree. They can still be named the Dodgers, but they could focus their identity on Rodeo Clowns being bull “Dodgers” or something along those lines.

I would prefer the opposite approach, where minor league teams create their own identities and then tie the design to the parent club.  Like the Buffalo Bisons do, or the old Appleton Foxes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No doubt their affiliates, but Appleton fans still had an unblemished Foxes legacy that spanned generations. 

Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would prefer the opposite approach, where minor league teams create their own identities and then tie the design to the parent club.  Like the Buffalo Bison do, where they have an unblemished legacy that can span affiliations.   Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

Not sure why I like this idea, but hate the fact that the Keys applied it to their uniforms. I think what troubles me about Frederick is the poor execution.

Frederick was chosen as the host city for the Carolina League All-Star Game this year. Previous years have featured logos in the style of the host city team’s identity, including color scheme. However, this year the logo design is in red, white, and blue. Clearly someone in the marketing and design department has some sense:

spacer.png

Take note of the Keys script

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

They were the 89ers for over 30 seasons.  A name like that is almost perfect for this sort of thing.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Another one?

Another one?? If anything they can stake the claim to beer city, I live here in downtown and there is a brewing district and I kid you not there’s at least a dozen right in the area I can name off the top of my head. Legitimately prob the only thing Asheville is known for, beer!

4 minutes ago, lilben777 said:

Legitimately prob the only thing Asheville is known for, beer!

Not outside Asheville, it’s really not.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Not outside Asheville, it’s not. 

then what is it?

Folk music, kayaking, even the Blue Ridge Mountains.   If it’s known for anything, it’s for those.

Asheville is known for a lot of things, especially beer.  I don't know exactly where it ranks now, but at one point recently they had the most breweries per capita in the country.  They also house the east coast ops for some of the larger national craft breweries.  It's a great city for a lot of things and beer is one of them.

At least in 2016, Asheville was #3 in the United States in breweries per capita. This article from late 2017, however, lists "total microbreweries" at 25, for a rate of 28.1 breweries per 100,000 residents, which would put Asheville at #1.

20161101_2016_Breweries.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/11/01/which-u-s-cities-have-the-most-microbreweries-per-capita-infographic/#1cdd044de19b

Asheville was chosen as the East Coast brew hub for the 3rd and 4th-largest craft breweries by volume (Sierra Nevada and New Belgium). None of Asheville's own crack the top 50 craft breweries by volume, but Wicked Weed, Highland, Hi-Wire, and Green Man are all well-known. I'm probably forgetting some - I enjoy craft beer, but I'm not an aficionado.

Point is, Asheville is one of the few cities that can legitimately lay claim to a "Beer City" uniform.

Seems to me like we’re going through the food inspired uniforms/names craze again, but now with alcoholic beverages

I live an hour and a half from Asheville, and I had no idea... I know it as a nice place, beautiful area, mountains, a bit hipster-ish, and what Goth said, but had no idea it was so beer-heavy

Have we really reached the point where we're arguing over how well each individual in America knows what each MILB city is known for? 🙄

8 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Point is, Asheville is one of the few cities that can legitimately lay claim to a "Beer City" uniform.

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Seems to me like we’re going through the food inspired uniforms/names craze again, but now with alcoholic beverages

I think I'm starting to understand why New Yorkers get so cranky when other cities take on their trends.  😁