BigMac12

Minor-League, Indy & Summer Collegiate Baseball Logo / Uni Changes

6 hours ago, tron1013 said:

Ballpark Digest has an article on possible team names for the relocating PawSox. Go Worcester Worcesters!

Of the three names that the Pawtucket Red Sox Baseball Club filed for trademark protection back in February - Ruby LegsWicked Worms, and Worcesters - the only one that strikes me as being at all decent is the Worcester Ruby Legs. It not only references one of the names used by the city's National League team from 1880 through 1882, but it also serves as a variation on Red Sox. Wicked Worms - a play on Worcester's "Wormtown" nickname - is awful, while Worcester Worcesters sounds ridiculous.

FWIW, my submission is the Worcester Monsters-for obvious tie-in reasons.

Shame.  This is an ideal opportunity to tie in with the popular local MLB club.  As it was with the PawSox. 

55 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

WooSox

And here to throw the first pitch...Ric Flair

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Shame.  This is an ideal opportunity to tie in with the popular local MLB club.  As it was with the PawSox. 

True, but Ruby Legs could work as it has local flair, and is a close tie to Red Sox without screaming "Red Sox"

14 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Wicked Worms - a play on Worcester's "Wormtown" nickname - is awful, while Worcester Worcesters sounds ridiculous.

Which means we're 100% getting the Worcester Wicked Worms with 10 trillion Brandiose logos featuring worm wearing a tricorn hat, swinging a steel beam, while eating chowder and baked beans.

I can see it now: Worcester Worcestershire Sauce Sox. 

6 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Which means we're 100% getting the Worcester Wicked Worms with 10 trillion Brandiose logos featuring worm wearing a tricorn hat, swinging a steel beam, while eating chowder and baked beans.

Chow-der?  Chow-der?  It's CHOWDAH!

Inland Empire 66ers tease California Burritos promo

May 4, 2019 - 21:07 PM

The California burrito is a cultural phenomenon that is near and dear to the people of southern California, particularly San Diego. The California burrito is basically what would happen if traditional Mexican food got a DNA test and discovered to […]

Read More...

On May 3, 2019 at 11:10 AM, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Indianapolis Indians to wear Indy 500 uniforms

May 3, 2019 - 15:06 PM

The 103rd Indianapolis 500 will take place just over three weeks from now, but the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians, an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates, will pay homage to the famous race tonight. The team will wear Indy 500-branded uniforms for […]

Read More...

I would love to see the Indians switch to the 500s for their full-time name. Well-done number names (Las Vegas 51s) can make for amazing branding. Also, it doesn't make sense with them being affiliared with the Pirates and not Cleveland.

The Indianapolis Indians weren’t named after the Cleveland team.  In fact, Indianapolis had the name first, by about a dozen years. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Indianapolis Indians weren’t named after the Cleveland team.  In fact, Indianapolis had the name first, by about a dozen years. 

Besides, 500’s wouldn’t be my first choice for a new name.

il_794xN.764974050_s1cv.jpg

Of course they shouldn’t use this design, which looks exceptionally dated and sloppy.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:31 PM, tron1013 said:

Ballpark Digest has an article on possible team names for the relocating PawSox. Go Worcester Worcesters!

I'm taken aback at the thought of the Red Sox top farm club being anywhere but Pawtucket.  Are they at least getting a AA or Single A version of the Paw Sox?

Still, Worcester Ruby Legs is about the most perfect name possible for this team.  It's unique, has legit history behind it, and ties into the parent club while keeping their own identity.  I hate that I have so little faith in MiLB these days that I fear they may botch it. 

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

I'm taken aback at the thought of the Red Sox top farm club being anywhere but Pawtucket.  Are they at least getting a AA or Single A version of the Paw Sox?

With the PawSox set to relocate to Worcester following the 2020 International League season, the City of Pawtucket and State of Rhode Island issued a request for proposals to redevelop the site of McCoy Stadium site. Of the six responses to the RFP, two centered on returning professional baseball to the facility.

Frank Boulton, founder and CEO of the Long Island Ducks, proposes bringing an independent Atlantic League franchise to the facility.

Meanwhile, Minor League Baseball for Pawtucket - a group of local investors that includes current PawSox minority owner and vice chairman Mike Tamburro - is seeking to bring another  affiliated team to McCoy Stadium. Given affiliated professional baseball's territorial rules, the only minor league ownership group with rights to place a team in McCoy is the PawSox leadership. That scenario will continue after the Triple A franchise's relocation to Worcester, as Worcester County falls within the same geographic territory as the Pawtucket, RI market. So, in order for an affiliated MiLB franchise to set-up shop at McCoy following the PawSox relocation to Worcester, the PawSox ownership group would either have to cede their territorial rights to Pawtucket and McCoy to another owner/operator, or elect to own and operate a lower classification Pawtucket-based team themselves.

Given the current stability of the Eastern League and its franchises, the chances of Pawtucket landing a Double A franchise are slim to none. It's far more likely that a New York-Penn League team would be targeted for McCoy Stadium. The Batavia Muckdogs are league-owned and the NY-PL would love to unload the franchise. The Auburn Doubledays are municipally-owned, but the City of Auburn has been shopping the team since 2016.

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Given the current stability of the Eastern League and its franchises, the chances of Pawtucket landing a Double A franchise are slim to none. It's far more likely that a New York-Penn League team would be targeted for McCoy Stadium. The Batavia Muckdogs are league-owned and the NY-PL would love to unload the franchise. The Auburn Doubledays are municipally-owned, but the City of Auburn has been shopping the team since 2016.

I can confirm this is what i've heard as well....NYPenn short season is the likely target but also consider the Sox have Lowell as their affiliate, so Boston would either keep Lowell and let another team affiliate with the Pawtucket team, or Pawsox remain with Boston and the Spinners become another affiliate.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:55 PM, nash61 said:

I would love to see the Indians switch to the 500s for their full-time name. Well-done number names (Las Vegas 51s) can make for amazing branding. Also, it doesn't make sense with them being affiliared with the Pirates and not Cleveland.

That would be cool in theory--but 0% chance the Douglas family (which owns Indy Motor Speedway) allows it. They are super-duper protective of their intellectual property (and for good reason, but still). That added to the fact that they've had the same since 1887 (?). I'm not even sure if I'd want them to change their name...as it is the Indy Indians have some of the most unique branding in all of sports--and it wasn't until today upon closer look that I realized just how versatile the potential for it is and can be.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:48 AM, DNAsports said:

On 4/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, Buc said:

...I'm coppin' me one of those--and the cap--the next time I pass back through there. I'm loving that.

Aaaaannnnnd they're not making any jerseys for retail--at least not this season. I spoken with some team reps over at Victory Field earlier today and as it turns out, the reason they chose not to produce any Circle City alternate jerseys is that they were not sure they would sell well.

Meanwhile, their other Circle City merchandise is flying off the shelves...so perhaps they should've pulled the trigger on that one.

(I did get a nice consolation prize, however: one of their Circle City 108 Stitch shirts with the "Circle City" script minus the big tail on the Y. I got the cap, though!)