Small Details (and quirks) that You Love

OnWis97

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Hoops McCann said:

To distinguish it from the hidden F for Falcons?

I get your point, and that would be a great argument if the two logos looked anything alike.  I think the attempt to make the eagle look somewhat like a bald eagle makes it clear.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thank you.  Putting an "E" on an eagle or "F" on a falcon is silly.  Working in the letter for the city (assuming it's not forced) would make sense.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Stop it with the "hidden e" stuff. That's the type of thing that would have been called out at the unveiling, and never was (we have that article posted somewhere). It is also an extreme stretch of a claim.

The simple answer is that the eagle head has the "e" shape just out of coincidence. It's a very well-designed logo, and no part of it looks forced to incorporate any secret elements. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Everyone seems to think the Whalers and North Stars are the best logos ever, but also think monograms should only represent the city name.

I'm as guilty on both counts as all of you, I'm just sayin'.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:22 PM, Chromatic said:

The Eagles one I believe though. That's why its the only logo facing Right to Left, where the rest are all left to right. 

The rest are left to right because the majority of them are the helmet logos as well, and helmets are almost always pictured facing toward the right. It's important for the other teams to have their primary logo appear the same when it's presented on it's own or pictured on the helmet. The Eagles can avoid this continuity issue due to not having their logo on the helmet. It's the same reason why the old Bengals logo faced left... not because there was a hidden element due to it facing left, but rather that they didn't need it to face right. 

377.gif

9 hours ago, Gobbi said:

The rest are left to right because the majority of them are the helmet logos as well, and helmets are almost always pictured facing toward the right. It's important for the other teams to have their primary logo appear the same when it's presented on it's own or pictured on the helmet. The Eagles can avoid this continuity issue due to not having their logo on the helmet. It's the same reason why the old Bengals logo faced left... not because there was a hidden element due to it facing left, but rather that they didn't need it to face right. 

377.gif

I disagree. I think the reason most logos face left to right is because in the West we read from left to right, and by extension that's how we place the helmet.

I could be wrong though, as its not like teams have any issue inverting the direction a logo is facing.

Also, I'm not saying I necessarily believe there is a hidden 'E' in the logo, I'm just saying I don't find it to be out of the question that when the logo was designed, it was intentional.

23 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Everyone seems to think the Whalers and North Stars are the best logos ever, but also think monograms should only represent the city name.

I'm as guilty on both counts as all of you, I'm just sayin'.

If you are saying this relative to the Eagles/Falcons discussion, I'm not quite on board.  For me that's about hiding an "E" in an eagle...it's redundant.  Actually, come to think of it, I suppose you could make that argument for the Whalers, which has an element of a whale and a "W."

That said, I kinda get that monograms should represent the city and they tend to.  In fact, while this board's leanings tend to surprise me when my opinion is not popular (e.g., I was surprised by how much people prefer the current Devils to the Christmas Devils), The North Stars may be the only instance in which I was surprised people agree with me.  I love that logo, but it's hard for me to divorce its merits from my nostalgia.  I think there's just something about the way it's laid out that makes people like it.  But it's the kind of logo I'd have thought people would consider "dated" or just not that great.

Regarding the Whalers, I came onto the boards not really appreciating it.  I never realized it included an "H."  I still think it kinda looks "70s" and while that team also contributes to my 1980s NHL nostalgia, I am kinda surprised the logo is so well liked.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I disagree. I think the reason most logos face left to right is because in the West we read from left to right, and by extension that's how we place the helmet.

I could be wrong though, as its not like teams have any issue inverting the direction a logo is facing.

Also, I'm not saying I necessarily believe there is a hidden 'E' in the logo, I'm just saying I don't find it to be out of the question that when the logo was designed, it was intentional.

I think you're right about why helmets are generally displayed facing left to right. However if you look at the NHL (taking a quick grab of current logos only) there is a much higher percentage of logos that face right to left. I think this is due to the primary "brand" not being the helmet like it is in football, where it makes logical sense for the logo and the logo on the helmet to be the same.

56.gif1380782017.gif1588102014.gif2463622017.gifi40oxcdbo7xtfamqqhqachoyo.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

On 11/26/2015 at 10:41 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

The different color numbers on the sleeves of the Vick-era Virginia Tech uniforms are probably my favorite uniform quirk of all-time:

Vick-vatech.jpg

That uniform as a whole is one of my favorite college sets ever as well.

Although orange and maroon is a horrible color combination. So is Clemson's orange and purple.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:54 PM, WavePunter said:

EXACTLY!!!!!!! letters/monograms should be reserved for location, not nickname/mascot

I pray the Bengals are reading this post!!!!! Go back to the tiger head!!!!

29 minutes ago, verno said:

I pray the Bengals are reading this post!!!!! Go back to the tiger head!!!!

or come up with a stylized "C" that can incorporate the tiger stripes or whatever, and is unique to Cincinnati.. the "B" is just so misleading on principle, and only survives due to the strength of the NFL brand

Archived