Ravens Logo redesign

suplauren

• 2 weeks later...

I think the beak should be a different color, even a darker shade of the purple if black would be too much contrast for you.

When the beak matches the head, it makes it look more like a dinosaur than a bird.

Of course, this is nature's fault, not yours.

that was the exact reference image I used, haha!

Here's an update: Black beak! I also changed the eye to red, by popular demand.

bEiHLoa.gif

Edit:

already tweaked a bit of the shading on the lower jaw and adjusted a bit of the highlights.

Wqe8xNA.gif

Too many white highlights in the latest version. It's a nice logo, but not sure it's NFL-ready quite yet.

The shape of the head gives off a serious Southern Miss eagle vibe.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Too many white highlights in the latest version. It's a nice logo, but not sure it's NFL-ready quite yet.

The shape of the head gives off a serious Southern Miss eagle vibe.

I agree, it still doesn't totally have that Ravens vibe yet. But, you're getting closer.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

• 2 weeks later...

1. Most "menacing" mascot logos are going to look minor league, especially with exaggerated features like the beak. While technically it's not exaggerated, the way it's open so much and so prominent and attention-drawing gives it a cartoonish quality reminiscent of minor-league logos. Some of the few "menacing" logos that IMO look major league are the Eagles, Seahawks, and kinda-sorta the Rams. Your logo is very.... "dynamic" (for lack of a better term) as opposed to the more conservative poses in the logos I mentioned.

2. The touching of the purple and black might add some realism to it, but again makes it look like a "portrait" or "picture" rather than a "logo". If you look at the Eagles logo, (which as I stated is a mascot logo that I feel has major-league qualities) there are a lot of "hard" lines, and clear color separation. It reproduces nicely in black-and-white, full color, two color, embroidery, etc. Your logo would struggle mightily there. That's something that needs to be considered when designing "pro" logos - ability to reproduce on various media. Minor-league and school logos have less stringent requirements for standardization - i.e. they may use one logo in one application, another in another, etc. It's not as consistent.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Another thing I noticed when I created the "fix" image above and ended up with a very small version of the file on my laptop: Those white streaks *really* stick out, to the point that they are the most prominent feature of the logo. I wonder how it would work to do them in black, grey, or a lighter or darker shade of indigo.

rATMcmK.png

The gold line is still inconsistent in two spots, both in thickness, and in how you create a point. I marked them here:

RavensFixforsuplauren_zps04a3e511.png

Thanks for the visual, it helps a lot!

1. Most "menacing" mascot logos are going to look minor league, especially with exaggerated features like the beak. While technically it's not exaggerated, the way it's open so much and so prominent and attention-drawing gives it a cartoonish quality reminiscent of minor-league logos. Some of the few "menacing" logos that IMO look major league are the Eagles, Seahawks, and kinda-sorta the Rams. Your logo is very.... "dynamic" (for lack of a better term) as opposed to the more conservative poses in the logos I mentioned.

2. The touching of the purple and black might add some realism to it, but again makes it look like a "portrait" or "picture" rather than a "logo". If you look at the Eagles logo, (which as I stated is a mascot logo that I feel has major-league qualities) there are a lot of "hard" lines, and clear color separation. It reproduces nicely in black-and-white, full color, two color, embroidery, etc. Your logo would struggle mightily there. That's something that needs to be considered when designing "pro" logos - ability to reproduce on various media. Minor-league and school logos have less stringent requirements for standardization - i.e. they may use one logo in one application, another in another, etc. It's not as consistent.

These are awesome points, thanks for the help. I think I may have to retire this logo as an attempt for the Baltimore Ravens, since I'd pretty much have to redo the whole thing to make it really look "NFL". I'm gonna look for some colleges that have Ravens as a mascot so I can mess around with a recolor.

Archived