Redesigned US State Flags

The Imperfect

While I'm totally in favour with redesigning some of those "let's slap a seal on it!" state flags, this ain't the way to do it; each state needs their own individuality -- and honestly, how could you do away with classics like Maryland and Colorado?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

While I'm totally in favour with redesigning some of those "let's slap a seal on it!" state flags, this ain't the way to do it; each state needs their own individuality -- and honestly, how could you do away with classics like Maryland and Colorado?

The University of Maryland would throw a fit if the flag was redesigned

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

On Washington's flag: "The eagle represents George Washington"....ya know what REALLY represents George Washington? A picture of George Washington, sorta like the one that already appears on that flag.

Most of these flags are pretty awful...and his thought process seems inconsistent at best. Why toss out iconic elements of some flags, but simply recolor others? Because kids cant draw them? Bah.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

The only thing that bothers me is every flag is blue, white and red, and we can keep Colorado, Maryland, and Texas. Those are classics. And if each flag is going to have a red-white-blue feel, at least match the blue to the one in the nation flag.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

For New York, he reduced the number of rays in the Statue of Liberty's crown from seven to five. One of the reasons he gave was because New York borders five states... is that something to be proud of? Is that a signature feature that New Yorkers rally around?

For New York, he reduced the number of rays in the Statue of Liberty's crown from seven to five. One of the reasons he gave was because New York borders five states... is that something to be proud of? Is that a signature feature that New Yorkers rally around?

No, but artists love to pick out esoteric aspects when looking for things to incorporate into their design. This allows them to make a nice list of things in their explanation, which gives the appearance that there was some actual rhyme or reason to what they did. It sounds a lot better than saying "the star represents the state itself" for every other flag.

good grief these are awful.

Insightful.

ah sorry...

These barely thought-out designs that attempt to erase and ignore the varied and colorful history of state flags are crudish attempts at turning a 21st century minimalistic style towards symbols for the states. Many of the reasons chosen for either the state "symbol" or design purposes are vague or reaching at best. Using the same colors for all the designs continues the problem of "too many flags look alike" in that they're all red/white/blue with a star (or maybe similar symbol as is the case for New Mexico) thereby turning only 23 flags using Federal Blue (or the rough equivalent) to all 50 with the same general description.

They are an eye sore, a disgrace to the states themselves if one of these would ever be considered, and completely destroy fundamental basics of vexiliology including "be original in your design"

or...in short... "good grief these are awful"

As a resident of Michigan I have to give that one a big thumbs down.

The white is the peninsula and the rising sun.

Ummm, Michigan has 2 peninsulas, so where is the other represented? I also don't think of Michigan as a land of the rising sun. Yes there is one on the current flag, but there's also a guy holding a long gun and part of the coat of arms came directly from the Hudson's Bay Company CoA...The three stars representing the 3 state mottos I can sort of get behind.

It's an interesting exercise, but I don't think uniting the states under similar looking flags is going to solve the nation's issues.

Just kill yourself now and do us all a favor. I HATE spammers so very very much. Those flags are really cool though.

What exactly are they trying to accomplish?

Is anyone actually going to click on one of those links?

Maybe by accident to try to get a little traffic and also just having the links on these boards can also help their SEO

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

This is sorta off topic, but if I recall correctly, in the version on the main site before the updates, there was a section for flags. Is that true, or am I just thinking of somewhere else or something like that?

Yes, I had a Flags section as I'm a bit of a flag freak and as my dad said "flags are kinda like logos for countries"... there was quite a bit of confusion for why it was on the site and I wasn't really populating it as much as I should so I discontinued. Maybe i'll be back someday, I liked being able to see the historical national flags lined up like we do the logo timelines.

STATE flags...aha...I came in looking for US Flag redesigns

Me too! I've fixed the topic title for us

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No, but artists love to pick out esoteric aspects when looking for things to incorporate into their design. This allows them to make a nice list of things in their explanation, which gives the appearance that there was some actual rhyme or reason to what they did. It sounds a lot better than saying "the star represents the state itself" for every other flag.

You say that as if design has no meaning and every decision should be based on aesthetics. You dont add an element then try to justify it witn an explanation. Your visuals need to communicate the concept clearly

The problem with this whole thing is not that hes justifying the decisions made but that they are bad ideas to begin with. I could maybe get behind the idea of all of them being the same colors, but everything else hes done is just not a good idea. The flags are also poorly executed, which just makes them ugly.

A better example of state branding is found on graphicology.com

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived