Beltran dealt

RyanB06

Read it and weep

Bad news for us Red Sox fans; this means Oakland's 'pen is a ton better with Dotel anchoring it. The wild-card in the AL is up for grabs now.

Other thoughts?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Beltran was going to leave after the season so KC had to do it, they just felll into a hole and could never recover from it, I thought they would win that division too oh well.

The A's needed to replace Foulke their pen has been terribel this year, and Dotel is a good upgrade.

However the Astron now have no closer what are they thinking? Beltran is good but with veteran pitchers like Pettitte and Clemens not used to going 9 they need a solid closer. And they may lose Beltran at teh end of the season any way. Their offense was good already too this is a puzzling deal for Houston in my mind.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

back in the dead of winter when the Stros traded Wagner, i was wondering what they were thinking. as we've seen time and time again, closer by committee will fail. if the Astros are smart, they won't go this route. but we ARE talking about the Astros ;) they trade their All-Star closer, then they trade his set up man who they tried to turn into the closer...all i can say is see ya. :P

Beltran, you knew he would be gone. the Royals gotta play out the string and retool for next year, the potential's there.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I was surprised to see Houston get Beltran.

Anytime you can get a player of his quality and give up relatively little in return, you do it. It'll really get Jimy Williams' seat burning if Beltran can't jumpstart the team, for sure.

However, dumping a solid reliever and adding offense is a somewhat questionable strategy (especially once/if they get to the playoffs), but with a proven commodity like Beltran, I suppose it's less so. It'll probably bump the number of no-decisions for the Astros' starters, with an offense that can get them back and a bullpen that can give it away.

I also wonder if the Astros have a realistic shot at keeping him past this year. I still expect him to come to the Yankees, but maybe that's just my smug Yankee fan entitlement speaking. :D

If anything, it shows that Houston wants to win now. I don't mean next year, I mean NOW. With Clemens only signed for this season, he might want this year to get into the Series and that's it. Same could be said for Biggio, Bgwell, and Kent (who's been in trade rumors). These guys aren't young and Astros management might push for them to win it all now or else...

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I still expect him to come to the Yankees, but maybe that's just my smug Yankee fan entitlement speaking. :D

Beltran is not going to the Yankees this year. There is no room him. The Yankees will trade for left-handed starting pitching (Randy Johnson :D:D ) which they would have had had they not traded for Boone last year (Dumb move).

I still expect him to come to the Yankees, but maybe that's just my smug Yankee fan entitlement speaking. :D

Beltran is not going to the Yankees this year. There is no room him. The Yankees will trade for left-handed starting pitching (Randy Johnson :D:D ) which they would have had had they not traded for Boone last year (Dumb move).

I was thinking more along the lines of getting Beltran thru free agency this winter...which would mean dumping Lofton (good luck), DHing Bernie and sticking Beltran in CF. It'd mean starting Giambi at first more than we reasonably should, but damn if we wouldn't have a sick (or sickening, depending on your perspective) 1-9 batting order.

The farm system is bad enough as it is without trading away our few good prospects to fill a position that's ably filled...I agree, we need a pitcher!

The Astros are going for broke this year. The Royals also got a nice minor league catcher that can swing a stick named John Buck from the Astros. All in all, every team got what they were looking for.

Who knows, the Astros might make Beltran an offer he can't refuse. Kent probably won't be in Astros gear next year because there's a kid coming up through the minors that will be playing 2nd base next year.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Archived