The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

Question for the group....Which aspect is it that most of you frown upon when it comes to counterfeits? Is it the intent to make a dollar off of them? Or just the act of creating something using someone else's work?

I ask because I'm just curious to see where the DIY'ers rank in your minds. And I mean the DIY'ers who create their stuff for their own use....Not to sell.

Here is a question I have...there's a company called Dorholt Custom sports that was making Devils xmas tree jerseys (before the throwbacks from CCM were available), Cleveland Barons jerseys, Fighting Saints, a few others...all jerseys that at the time were no longer produced.

Technically they fell into the fake category as they were not officially licensed by the NHL, but being the only way to get your hands on them would be an old used version from Ebay...I feel it wasn't as bad as Chinese fakes of existing jerseys. I think they still do the red xmas tree jerseys, which is bad since you can now get them from the NHL Shop, but they remain the only place to get a new white version of the xmas jersey.

70389454.png

Question for the group....Which aspect is it that most of you frown upon when it comes to counterfeits? Is it the intent to make a dollar off of them? Or just the act of creating something using someone else's work?

I ask because I'm just curious to see where the DIY'ers rank in your minds. And I mean the DIY'ers who create their stuff for their own use....Not to sell.

Here is a question I have...there's a company called Dorholt Custom sports that was making Devils xmas tree jerseys (before the throwbacks from CCM were available), Cleveland Barons jerseys, Fighting Saints, a few others...all jerseys that at the time were no longer produced.

Technically they fell into the fake category as they were not officially licensed by the NHL, but being the only way to get your hands on them would be an old used version from Ebay...I feel it wasn't as bad as Chinese fakes of existing jerseys. I think they still do the red xmas tree jerseys, which is bad since you can now get them from the NHL Shop, but they remain the only place to get a new white version of the xmas jersey.

I've always thought if I could find a good Cleveland Barons fake I'd purchase it. Therefore I see where you are coming from if you really love a jersey and that's the only way it's available then to me that's the only exception when buying knock-offs.

untitled-6.jpg

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8900519/nfl-us-government-score-record-bust-fake-jerseys

The NFL, in cooperation with government authorities, announced on Thursday that it had seized a record $13.6 million worth of counterfeit NFL merchandise this season in a nationwide enforcement effort called "Operation Red Zone."

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

There used to be a place in Ontario called Silvestri Sports that did NHL throwbacks before the league did, too. Bought Atlanta Flames and Capitals jerseys for friends from them. The jerseys were a heavy mesh, but the Caps one had all the letters sewn on individually.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There used to be a place in Ontario called Silvestri Sports that did NHL throwbacks before the league did, too. Bought Atlanta Flames and Capitals jerseys for friends from them. The jerseys were a heavy mesh, but the Caps one had all the letters sewn on individually.

Silvestri was good. I bought a Nordiques "Thibault 41" jersey from them about 14 years ago. I remember the guy on the phone being really nice, and he called to follow up with me after I received the jersey to make sure I liked it.

Darren Rovell is going to have a bit about fake jerseys on Outside The Lines sunday morning

I disagree with his assertion that fake jerseys have gotten really close to the real thing. Close enough that people don't care because they are $200 cheaper yes; however they are still instantly distinguishable as fake.

• Like 1
1zgyd8w.jpg

It's funny, I was having a hockey talk with one of my wife's friends (who has Hawks season tickets) tonight, and she brought up the bootleg jersey issue. Apparently, one of her co-workers got into the racket on eBay, and received some sort of cease-and-desist letter. As for my wife's friend, she said "Why would you want one of those anyway? They're cheap, but the quality is crap, the colors are all wrong, nothing looks right, the Indian Head is bright yellow sometimes..."

So it's not just us obsessives who notice.

I've always thought if I could find a good Cleveland Barons fake I'd purchase it. Therefore I see where you are coming from if you really love a jersey and that's the only way it's available then to me that's the only exception when buying knock-offs.

I own an Oakland Seals fake, because the NHL refuses to produce green-and-blue era Seals jerseys for whatever reason. The numbers were so poor though, I stripped them off and had EPS replace them with something far more authentic. Still scared to wash the thing, though.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's funny, I was having a hockey talk with one of my wife's friends (who has Hawks season tickets) tonight, and she brought up the bootleg jersey issue. Apparently, one of her co-workers got into the racket on eBay, and received some sort of cease-and-desist letter. As for my wife's friend, she said "Why would you want one of those anyway? They're cheap, but the quality is crap, the colors are all wrong, nothing looks right, the Indian Head is bright yellow sometimes..."

And Hawks fakes have to be the worst in the league. The fonts are never even close, and the logo never looks right.

I own an Oakland Seals fake, because the NHL refuses to produce green-and-blue era Seals jerseys for whatever reason. The numbers were so poor though, I stripped them off and had EPS replace them with something far more authentic. Still scared to wash the thing, though.

Two of the more popular fakes I see at Penguins games are 91-92 Stanley Cup jerseys with the SC, Badger Bob, and anniversary patches, and Sidney Crosby Rimouski jerseys with the Memorial Cup patches. You can't buy the 91-92 jerseys with the patches and you can't buy the Rimouski jeresys at all.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Patches are a bit of a nebulous area as far as fakery goes, right? Because it's pretty obvious that these patches for uniforms worn 10 or 20 years ago are "unlicensed reproductions", but at the same time, it's not like the NHL or any other league is in the standalone retro patch business.

Patches are a bit of a nebulous area as far as fakery goes, right? Because it's pretty obvious that these patches for uniforms worn 10 or 20 years ago are "unlicensed reproductions", but at the same time, it's not like the NHL or any other league is in the standalone retro patch business.

I got my patches form river city sports in Winnipeg.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Saw this in another thread:

OTL about counterfeit jerseys

Great piece and some good points. I owned a sporting apparel store from 1994 until 2001. I haven't purchased and NFL jersey since then. The NFL can complain all they want, but expecting people to spend 100 bucks on a flimsy cheaply made screen printed jersey is ridicoulous.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Great piece and some good points. I owned a sporting apparel store from 1994 until 2001. I haven't purchased and NFL jersey since then. The NFL can complain all they want, but expecting people to spend 100 bucks on a flimsy cheaply made screen printed jersey is ridicoulous.

$100 would be fine for an authentic jersey. They want $300 for the authentic though... that's insane.

• Like 1

I will also add I have never bought a bootleg of anything, and I never will. But Nike needs to understand they can't put out 100 dollr garbage and have people buy it.

$100 would be fine for an authentic jersey. They want $300 for the authentic though... that's insane.

When I owned my store the price for an authentic was $119.99.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.