The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

I will also add I have never bought a bootleg of anything, and I never will. But Nike needs to understand they can't put out 100 dollr garbage and have people buy it.

Saw this in another thread:

OTL about counterfeit jerseys

Great piece and some good points. I owned a sporting apparel store from 1994 until 2001. I haven't purchased and NFL jersey since then. The NFL can complain all they want, but expecting people to spend 100 bucks on a flimsy cheaply made screen printed jersey is ridicoulous.

$100 would be fine for an authentic jersey. They want $300 for the authentic though... that's insane.

Saw this in another thread:

OTL about counterfeit jerseys

Great piece and some good points. I owned a sporting apparel store from 1994 until 2001. I haven't purchased and NFL jersey since then. The NFL can complain all they want, but expecting people to spend 100 bucks on a flimsy cheaply made screen printed jersey is ridicoulous.

$100 would be fine for an authentic jersey. They want $300 for the authentic though... that's insane.

When I owned my store the price for an authentic was $119.99.

Yeah and replicas were around 45ish, right?

Jesus, look at what FansEdge is selling for $500.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It drives me nuts to see autographs on fake jerseys. I guess the players don't care because they got paid but ugh, you'd put that on the wall?

It's also particularly stupid seeing fake jerseys on the wall, at say, Buffalo Wild Wings. It's a business expense! It's tax deductible! Buy the real goddamn thing!

• Like 1
1zgyd8w.jpg

Jesus, look at what FansEdge is selling for $500.

From what I've read about Modano (and his tweets) if you see a fake with his signature, the signature is a fake too (Same for Gretzky).

Apparently, athletes are being educated on how to spot fakes and are being told the financial ramifications about signing them.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Wow I stand corrected. I got a direct tweet from Mike Modano saying he signed that piece of crap.

I tweeted him a pic of the jersey and here is the response:

ModanoCrap_zpsd5e24e4f.png

I responded by asking "Why its an obvious counterfeit" I'll let you guys know what response (if any) I get.

• Like 1

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Wow I stand corrected. I got a direct tweet from Mike Modano saying he signed that piece of crap.

I tweeted him a pic of the jersey and here is the response:

ModanoCrap_zpsd5e24e4f.png

I responded by asking "Why its an obvious counterfeit" I'll let you guys know what response (if any) I get.

Twitter is a great tool, I've gotten mentioned by Jeff O'Neill, Taylor Hall, and Evander Kane in the past 2 weeks. Started a little issue with some Oilers fans when O'Neill told me Taylor Hall was a prick.

I look forward to seeing if Mike responds to you.

untitled-6.jpg

Jeff O'Neill has really utilized Twitter well to effectively distinguish himself as a lunkhead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So assuming $45 in 2001 (which seems a bit low), 11 years of inflation it's about $60 which isn't that far from the $74.99 they were before last year.

I think thats low cause Champion replica NBA jerseys were $40 in the early 90s cause I remember buying Shaq's rookie jersey for that in 1993.

What items outside of electronics are the same prive they wete 12 years ago? Things can't stay the same price forever, inflection alone drives the price up but so does gas prices which have doubled since 2001, the cost of materials (cotton, poly, etc) which has gone up astronomically in the last couple years, the cost of doing business with the NFL has gone up too. Should companies just eat those increases?

So assuming $45 in 2001 (which seems a bit low), 11 years of inflation it's about $60 which isn't that far from the $74.99 they were before last year.

I think thats low cause Champion replica NBA jerseys were $40 in the early 90s cause I remember buying Shaq's rookie jersey for that in 1993.

What items outside of electronics are the same prive they wete 12 years ago? Things can't stay the same price forever, inflection alone drives the price up but so does gas prices which have doubled since 2001, the cost of materials (cotton, poly, etc) which has gone up astronomically in the last couple years, the cost of doing business with the NFL has gone up too. Should companies just eat those increases?

Many people don't think about the added costs of production over the last 15 years, and many that do, don't care (or don't like it/don't understand it) and want companies to eat the cost.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Except I would be willing to bet that labor cost has not risen very much if at all in those years. PLUS the quality has gone down hill. I still have 1995 Logo Athletic Bucs jersey's that have held up better than a 2010 Freeman jersey that my GF bought for herself. Bottom line is the cheaply made replica's that Reebok and Nike has made over the last 11 years are garbage. The quality of the product has gone down and that is all there is to it.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

You're telling me the Champion era replicas are the same quality as the current NBA replicas?

Labor costs haven't gone up? Minimum wage has gone up from 5.25 in 2001 to 7.25 today. And yes, replica jerseys were printed in the United States by Reebok (not sure about Nike) So assuming all labor makes minimum wage in the US, that alone has gone up.

You can defiantly argue that labor costs have not increased overseas and you may or may not be right, I don't know that for sure. But the costs have certainly gone up from the factory to the supplier.

What about all the other cost increases I listed out? Should companies eat those?

You're telling me the Champion era replicas are the same quality as the current NBA replicas?

Labor costs haven't gone up? Minimum wage has gone up from 5.25 in 2001 to 7.25 today. And yes, replica jerseys were printed in the United States by Reebok (not sure about Nike) So assuming all labor makes minimum wage in the US, that alone has gone up.

You can defiantly argue that labor costs have not increased overseas and you may or may not be right, I don't know that for sure. But the costs have certainly gone up from the factory to the supplier.

What about all the other cost increases I listed out? Should companies eat those?

So, that accounts for a ~35% increase in cost. What accounts for the 150% increase in price?

You think that where the NFL jersey's are made that there is a minimum wage? Not a chance.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Last time i was at the ESPN Club in Walt Disney World, they had a framed, fake Amar'e Stoudemire that STAT had signed. I tweeted him and the Knicks a picture telling them it was a fake, but never got a response. I'm sure it's still up.

I bet if anyone sat athletes down and explained to them how counterfeiters make money off their name and/or likeness, they'd be pretty pissed. But since most are oblivious to that kind of stuff, they go ahead and sign these POS products.

sig2024.png

You think that where the NFL jersey's are made that there is a minimum wage? Not a chance.

Where the numbers were printed (Indianapolis Indiana) there is.