The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

Unfair to compare a replica to an authentic. Replicas aren't designed to meet every single specification

At $115+ they should at least get the number font right.

They also sold plenty of tackle twill (2nd tier i believe) jerseys that had the incorrect number font.

Trust me, you can't go to walmart on the weekends with out seeing at least 10 people decked out in Cowboys gear. The incorrect number font was very prominent throughout the Reebok era; and it wasn't just on the bottom tier replicas.

If you're gonna charge prices like that and can't even get the number font right, you deserve to lose business.

Can you imagine how nuts this place would go if Nike made their Game jerseys ($120) and had a block font for the Broncos?? I'd be really upset if they did that.

Unfair to compare a replica to an authentic. Replicas aren't designed to meet every single specification

They also sold plenty of tackle twill (2nd tier i believe) jerseys that had the incorrect number font.

Trust me, you can't go to walmart on the weekends with out seeing at least 10 people decked out in Cowboys gear. The incorrect number font was very prominent throughout the Reebok era; and it wasn't just on the bottom tier replicas.

If you're gonna charge prices like that and can't even get the number font right, you deserve to lose business.

Can you imagine how nuts this place would go if Nike made their Game jerseys ($120) and had a block font for the Broncos?? I'd be really upset if they did that.

Reebok replicas topped off at $80, and that was only the last year they made them. They were $75 the two years before that, and $65 for a long time before that.

So the fact that the front & back numbers were a little off (the actual font is correct, it's just not bold like it's supposed to be) for a lesser alternative that isn't fake was a small trade off. Especially when compared to the ridiculous errors that all counterfeits come with.

Reebok replicas topped off at $80, and that was only the last year they made them. They were $75 the two years before that, and $65 for a long time before that.

So the fact that the front & back numbers were a little off (the actual font is correct, it's just not bold like it's supposed to be) for a lesser alternative that isn't fake was a small trade off. Especially when compared to the ridiculous errors that all counterfeits come with.

Well according to NFLshop.com the Premieres were $115 and did not have the correct font.

http://www.nflshop.com/Dallas_Cowboys_Jerseys_Reebok%C2'>

I don't think the aways ever had the correct font (closer but still a few details were off).

I saw a plethora of fake Nike jerseys at a Play It Again Sports. There was an Eddie Lacy, Andrew Luck, current and former player Falcons jerseys, and they were all "authentic". I told the people there that they were fake, because there's obvious signs that they are, and they said that someone from the Falcons gave them those. Pfft. Whatever people.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I saw a plethora of fake Nike jerseys at a Play It Again Sports. There was an Eddie Lacy, Andrew Luck, current and former player Falcons jerseys, and they were all "authentic". I told the people there that they were fake, because there's obvious signs that they are, and they said that someone from the Falcons gave them those. Pfft. Whatever people.

In a situation kind of similar, I saw fake jerseys both in a Savers and a pawn shop this past summer and told people about them. The guys at the pawn shop tossed the jersey, no joke, in the trash. The people at Savers changed the price more to reflect it being not authentic.

• 7 months later...

Counterfeit ring busted. Article details how they communicated with makers in china and got jet he fakes to market fast. Also dealings with eBay. Really shows how disgusting this "profession" is.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Feds_Father_son_ran_counterfeit_sports_jersey_ring.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Counterfeit ring busted. Article details how they communicated with makers in china and got jet he fakes to market fast. Also dealings with eBay. Really shows how disgusting this "profession" is.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Feds_Father_son_ran_counterfeit_sports_jersey_ring.html

Predictably, there is not one comment below that shows any basic understanding of why this is illegal. Along with the jokes about the Phillies being a counterfeit team and the comments on the potential length of prison time (which, BTW, will never happen), are comments basically saying that because of the cost of parking, concessions, tickets, and real jerseys, counterfeiting is OK.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Those who purchase counterfeit jerseys cannot be arrested unless there was ample evidence they planned to sell the jerseys or were making a profit from them, correct?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm all for prosecuting counterfeiters but 175 years in prison is harsh as hell. Even the 15 years is harsh.

We really need to examine prison terms in this country, some of them are waaaaaaay out of line with others.

175 years in jail would be about 7.5 days in jail per fake jersey the guy sold.

I'm all for prosecuting counterfeiters but 175 years in prison is harsh as hell. Even the 15 years is harsh.

We really need to examine prison terms in this country, some of them are waaaaaaay out of line with others.

175 years in jail would be about 7.5 days in jail per fake jersey the guy sold.

When you put it that way, give him ten days a jersey.

I don't ever want him seeing the light of day at 212 years old!

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Those who purchase counterfeit jerseys cannot be arrested unless there was ample evidence they planned to sell the jerseys or were making a profit from them, correct?

I may be incorrect, but would the buyer be in some sort of legal trouble if they knowingly purchased counterfeit materials?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I don't know, but they should hope not since "I'm lazy and a cheapskate" isn't a valid defense.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I may be incorrect, but would the buyer be in some sort of legal trouble if they knowingly purchased counterfeit materials?

Wouldn't it be hard to prove that the person knowingly purchased counterfeit jerseys unless they directly admit it? The average schlub can't point out a counterfeit like we can.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

My mom bought me a present recently.

I'll probably wear it when I visit her once or twice before getting rid of it.

Not the green-ish blue colour in the logo and the stitching on the 9.

I smiled and thanked her, as her heart was in the right place but i'm sure you all know how I felt. Like most of us here I'm the guy pointing out all the fake jerseys at games.

IMG_9425_zps81a3b7d2.jpg

IMG_5955_zpsc103dbfa.jpg

IMG_4655_zps98a1b731.jpg

IMG_1858_zps234fa190.jpg

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Wouldn't it be hard to prove that the person knowingly purchased counterfeit jerseys unless they directly admit it? The average schlub can't point out a counterfeit like we can.

I don't know whether buying one is illegal or not, but this is probably why it would be almost unenforceable anyway. "What, it's fake? I just thought the internet had way better deals." I honestly believe that most fans don't know. But even if they do, prove it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I'd agree that a lot of the people don't know the jerseys are fake. I have one friend who had multiple fakes, who tried to argue with me that they looked nearly identical to my authentic jersey. He didn't care. Another friend at work sent around an email that a friend of his found a website selling cheap jerseys. I told him they were fake, and he said he knew and didn't care. But on the other hand, a few ladies at work were genuinely shocked when I suggested that the $30 Bears jerseys they bought off a folding table from a guy in the subway were fake. And like Mr. Negative said, it's not just the fans buying these things, it's parents, grandparents, wives and others buying them as gifts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Admittedly, it's just a gut feeling I have when I go to a Twins game and see these jerseys with bubbly numbers in the wrong font and giant wordmarks on the front, but I don't have a sense that very many of the fans actually have really thought about their jersey as not being licensed. First, few of them pick that stuff out. Second, a lot of fashion jerseys and replicas use standard incorrect fonts anyway. Third, while there is a bit of media attention, I don't think it's common knowledge (or even close to it) that counterfeiting jerseys exists...so I suspect most people see a "deal" for a jersey and the idea of it not being licensed like the stuff they see at the clubhouse store does not even occur to them.

Granted, I think that if 90%+ of these people are told their jersey is fake (assuming they even understand/believe it) that they won't care. If there was as much awareness of this as there is of phony purses, I suspect counterfeit sales would drop a bit but not a lot. Read the comments of any story about counterfeits...most blame the leagues/teams for prices (even parking and concession prices). When theft is something less "tangible" than stuffing something from a store into a backpack, people become much more likely to rationalize it.

POTD (Shared)