The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

It's sort of like a Lexus owner downing a Toyota driver.

Actually, it's nothing like that. Nothing at all.

To me, it's a lot like that. It's bothering someone because they bought a cheaper product that still gets the job done. As in, "I overpaid, so everyone else should too. And if anyone finds a way to get a similar product for less money, then I'm going to be jealous."

Have to agree with BBTV here in that it's not really a valid comparison because it's legal to buy a Toyota. If you bought a Toyota that somebody dummied up with fake Lexus badges and sold as a Lexus, yeah, that would be a valid comparison because the seller would be making money off the Lexus brand without authorization (i.e. illegally).

In terms of the jersey discussion, your example would involve someone who paid $300 for an authentic "bothering" someone who bought an $80 NFL-licensed replica. And I agree that would not be very nice. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wouldn't it be illegal to buy if you knew it was being illegally sold? Not that anyone could actually prove that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wouldn't it be illegal to buy if you knew it was being illegally sold? Not that anyone could actually prove that.

That last sentence is the key part. The law would have to prove that you knew it was counterfeit, which it can't do.

I think the law is funny sometimes in that there are areas where you can be prosecuted for things you don't know and not prosecuted for things that you do.

but its illegal to buy because theres no tax on it

Actually, that's not the case. When I order from NHLShop.com, I don't have to pay tax since there's no NHL Store in Indiana. You only have to pay tax if the retailer has a location in your state, and obviously CHINA JERSEYS 100% LEGIT doesn't have a location anywhere in Indiana.

6fQjS3M.png

Never buy a knock-off online... Make sure you can see what you're getting before you get it. Flea Markets are the best place to buy knock-offs, and the quality there is usually very, very good.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Actually, that's not the case. When I order from NHLShop.com, I don't have to pay tax since there's no NHL Store in Indiana. You only have to pay tax if the retailer has a location in your state, and obviously CHINA JERSEYS 100% LEGIT doesn't have a location anywhere in Indiana.

Plenty of crappy stripmall stores sell counterfiets and they probably do comply with the sales tax laws.

(also in MN, no tax on clothing anyway)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Plenty of crappy stripmall stores sell counterfiets and they probably do comply with the sales tax laws.

(also in MN, no tax on clothing anyway)

Right this is true, as they're a business set up in whatever state that is that charges tax on clothing.

6fQjS3M.png

Are you guys noticing a lot of legit looking store selling counterfits? I have yet to see them in Michigan. Or are they more like flea markets like JQK said?

Some convenience stores actually sell jerseys here. I have yet to examine them carefully (price, quality, etc) but I'd guess they were counterfeit.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Are you guys noticing a lot of legit looking store selling counterfits? I have yet to see them in Michigan. Or are they more like flea markets like JQK said?

I've definately seen two stores that I can think of with "too good to be true" prices. One had some pretty blatant fakes (a very temporary small-town downtown storefront owned-operated by one guy that I imagine is long-gone). The other was an "outlet" store with "authentic" Adrian Petersons for $80...they looked pretty good...but I am not the expert at picking out the well-done fakes. But I suspect they were fake at the price.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

At Twins games, I would guess 2/3 of the jerseys I see look like the photo in the link:

Link

To anyone that said "they even have the authentic tags...they're real"

You'll notice the authentic tag on these, even though it has the 2009 wordmark and the 2010 Target Field patch.

POTD (Shared)

Never buy a knock-off online... Make sure you can see what you're getting before you get it. Flea Markets are the best place to buy knock-offs, and the quality there is usually very, very good.

And then you put it in the washing machine and start to see the true integrity of the jersey.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I've seen several. I've noticed a couple of souvenir stores right in the middle of Chicago's Loop selling blatant fakes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And then you put it in the washing machine and start to see the true integrity of the jersey.

Mine's looked just as good after several washes.

Main thing is- it looks far better than the crappy replica I paid for for 80 dollars not too long ago. Half the price (less, actually), much better quality (than replica), and looks better.

All the NFL has to is charge fair prices. That's all. They're making a product that has a a shelf life of 2 years max. If I pay for an A|X shirt for 200 dollars, I know I can wear it for 2 years and look nice. If I buy a Chris Johnson jersey, he'll be traded or walk via FA within 1 year...and I've got a worthless 300 dollar jersey hanging in the closet leaving me praying that someone else by last name Johnson comes along and wears 28 again for the Titans. Unlikely.

Just doesn't make sense.