The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

With that said, I was lucky enough to have won some money on a game show, and have decided that for the first time in my life I will be purchasing an MLB authentic jersey. I had no idea prices were so high now a days for a Cool Base jersey, I guess I hadn't looked at a price tag that closely in a few years, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good place to pick up a perfectly authentic jersey for a good price. The cheapest authentic retailer I've found so far is Jersey Joe.com, with a customizable Cool Base for $229.99 -- is there anywhere cheaper or am I about at that limit?

SportsK has it for cheaper. That is the easily the best site for officially licensed hockey and baseball jerseys.

So if price is all that matters, why buy a TV for $2000 when you can get the same one for $500? So what if that the ones you are buying for $500 were stolen out of your neighbors' homes, that's not your problem, you're getting a deal. Of course, buy purchasing these obviously stolen TVs, you're creating a market for it and encouraging thieves to break in and steal more TVs to sell, but who cares - you got yours. Well, until it gets stolen and sold to your neighbor for $500.

Just because one is a physical product with a forced-entry method of stealing and one is IP which is easily stolen without anyone getting physically harmed doesn't really make it much different. Except to most of you of course.

Sounds similiar to a notion I posed to looogodud:

I hope you get robbed one day and the thief leaves a note that says:

Dear homeowner,

I really like your stuff but I can't afford it so I just helped myself to whats in your garage.

P.S. If you're going to blame anybody blame companies for charging too much and my boss for not paying me enough. If you really think about it... it not really my fault. Besides what do you care about being robbed for, people are speeding!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Infared, that makes no sense. Those are my logos that i have made and havn't given the rights away to.

With the NFL and such, the artists already made their money.

It makes just as much sense as thinking it's ok to buy a counterfeit jersey. As a counterfeiter I don't really care about the particulars of your logo. I'm stealing it and making money off something that doesn't belong to me. Do you think I care that you may have sold it to someone else and made your money?

I'm just using your stuff as an example of how it's all wrong.

BB52Big.jpg

Infared, that makes no sense. Those are my logos that i have made and havn't given the rights away to.

With the NFL and such, the artists already made their money.

But you own the rights, correct? And that allows you to use them as you see fit (like telling Infared he can't make t-shirts or bumber stickers, etc. and sell them), right? 'Cause then you'd want a cut... And if you sold the rights, whoever bought the rights would deserve a cut too?

Why does it have to be about the artist? How about the investment if I decided to buy your logos? Why sholdn't that be protected?

With that said, I was lucky enough to have won some money on a game show, and have decided that for the first time in my life I will be purchasing an MLB authentic jersey. I had no idea prices were so high now a days for a Cool Base jersey, I guess I hadn't looked at a price tag that closely in a few years, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good place to pick up a perfectly authentic jersey for a good price. The cheapest authentic retailer I've found so far is Jersey Joe.com, with a customizable Cool Base for $229.99 -- is there anywhere cheaper or am I about at that limit?

SportsK has it for cheaper. That is the easily the best site for officially licensed hockey and baseball jerseys.

Their website doesn't look that great, but it says at the bottom the jerseys are made by Majestic and that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Figured I'd consult everyone here on this thread about this particular jersey I'm looking at.

Now, the price ($35 including shipping) and the location (Hong Kong) points to it being a fake. But then again, when doing my absolutely-necessary double checking against reference photos, I'm seeing some discrepancies that at are making me (somewhat) reconsider. The more eyes that see it, the better I'll feel.

Here is the jersey in question:

Front: Vince Carter Raptors - Front

Back: Vince Carter Raptors - Back

For reference, he is an in-game shot of that jersey on Air Canada himself: Vince reference photo

By comparing the two, the most noticeable difference seems to be that the raptor's head should be touching the wordmark. On the jersey for sale, the raptor is clearly seperated from the wordmark. However, take a look at this reference photo for the road jersey produced by Mitchell & Ness (taken directly from M&N's website): M&N Raptors reference. Clearly, on this reference photo, the raptor is once again seperate from the wordmark.

So, what does everybody think here? The obvious red flags for a counterfeit are present, but if it is, it's incredibly well done (at least it seems like it is). Thoughts, please?

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Their website doesn't look that great, but it says at the bottom the jerseys are made by Majestic and that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

I would recommend Sportsk in a heartbeat. Best customer service ever. The products are legit.

I would recommend Sportsk in a heartbeat. Best customer service ever. The products are legit.

I appreciate the recommendations, but I ended up ordering from Jersey-Joe.com. Got a Tulowitzki Colorado Rockies Cool Base black alternate jersey for $205 after shipping and tax -- cheapest I could find anywhere. Plus, they said it's made in the Majestic factory, so that's everything I could have hoped for. I'm incredibly excited to see this thing in person, hope it's worth the crazy price.

It's sort of like a Lexus owner downing a Toyota driver.

Actually, it's nothing like that. Nothing at all.

To me, it's a lot like that. It's bothering someone because they bought a cheaper product that still gets the job done. As in, "I overpaid, so everyone else should too. And if anyone finds a way to get a similar product for less money, then I'm going to be jealous."

Wouldn't it be more like the Lexus owner being peeved at the Toyota owner who threw Lexus emblems on his car?

To me, it's a lot like that. It's bothering someone because they bought a cheaper product that still gets the job done. As in, "I overpaid, so everyone else should too. And if anyone finds a way to get a similar product for less money, then I'm going to be jealous."

Wouldn't it be more like the Lexus owner being peeved at the Toyota owner who threw Lexus emblems on his car?

Not really, because if I buy a counterfeit item, I'm not buying it with the intention of "masking" it's counterfeit-ness or making people think that it's real.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I will say counterfeit's have gotten much better over the past few years. I remember how blatantly awful they used to be. Now, some look pretty good.

What I don't understand, and forgive me if this has been brought up before, but how come these websites have not been shut down yet? You'd think the leagues would be all over that, no?

Not really, because if I buy a counterfeit item, I'm not buying it with the intention of "masking" it's counterfeit-ness or making people think that it's real.

It's more like "I chose not to break the law or support people who do, and if anyone finds a way to save money by stealing or supporting theaft, then I'm going to be upset."

Your analogy is horrible. It's nothing like a Lexus owner downing a Toyota driver.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a Blue Jackets logo on a counterfeit jersey. I put arrows pointing to the errors in it.

Jacketslogoerrors.jpg

jhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Who cares, they BOTH have plenty of factory defects. (more recalls for BOTH announced today)

87Redskins.png

I will say counterfeit's have gotten much better over the past few years. I remember how blatantly awful they used to be. Now, some look pretty good.

What I don't understand, and forgive me if this has been brought up before, but how come these websites have not been shut down yet? You'd think the leagues would be all over that, no?

They can't apply United States law to foreign companies. These places are mostly in China and Hong Kong.

87Redskins.png