The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

It still baffles me that people on a sports logos message board, where we respect logos that are created and enjoy them, can still try their best to justify these actions of obvious copyright infringement....

because most people care more about their own wallet. Let's see, I can buy a licensed jersey for $250 or a knock-off for $50? So long as the quality is there (and nowadays, the knock-offs are pretty much just as good) I'll take the knock-off and use the extra $200 for something else.

1. The knock-offs are nowhere near as good. It isn't even debatable.

2. It has become acceptable when one cannot afford something to instead buy a cheaper, illegally produced version of it? Perhaps if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it.

3. You will still look like a clown wearing that garbage.

spikes.jpg

Nike's prices may have inadvertently opened up a market for counterfeits, but that does not excuse the personal choice to purchase them. The government's strict drug laws have produced a black market for drugs, but it's still illegal to possess them. How is this any different?

Well, as a side, I believe drugs should be legal but regulated and taxed. I make the PERSONAL CHOICE to buy the jersey that saves me $200. In the last 12 years or so the only jersey I did not buy on EBay was a Giants jersey for my wife. She wanted something for our trip to Dallas. Think it cost me $60 for a ladies cut replica with the heat-screened numbers? As far as buying on EBay, they allege they remove sales of counterfeit/knock-off items. As far as I am concerned, it is legit if it is not taken down. Who knows, maybe the person I am buying from got at a HUGE discount and therefore can sell to me for the price I pay. Or, he/she is liquidating inventory and trying to unload stuff. Not my concern.

because most people care more about their own wallet. Let's see, I can buy a licensed jersey for $250 or a knock-off for $50? So long as the quality is there (and nowadays, the knock-offs are pretty much just as good) I'll take the knock-off and use the extra $200 for something else.

+1

Well, as a side, I believe drugs should be legal but regulated and taxed.

I completely agree. The War on Drugs has done more harm than good, and hasn't stopped anyone from doing drugs. But that's off-topic.

The point is, don't expect a good product if you're saving that much - quality comes with a price. And honestly, people who wear fakes around are complete posers in my book. Not to mention all the violations of intellectual property laws.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But I can afford it, I choose not to pay their exorbitant prices, and instead get a solid counterfeit. Don't worry the leagues make more money off me than I save by buying fake jerseys.

So if I can afford a nice big Flat screen TV, but don't want to pay a boat load of money it's okay for me to steal one? It's okay, the company will still make a bunch of money.

Nike's prices may have inadvertently opened up a market for counterfeits, but that does not excuse the personal choice to purchase them. The government's strict drug laws have produced a black market for drugs, but it's still illegal to possess them. How is this any different?

Well, as a side, I believe drugs should be legal but regulated and taxed. I make the PERSONAL CHOICE to buy the jersey that saves me $200. In the last 12 years or so the only jersey I did not buy on EBay was a Giants jersey for my wife. She wanted something for our trip to Dallas. Think it cost me $60 for a ladies cut replica with the heat-screened numbers? As far as buying on EBay, they allege they remove sales of counterfeit/knock-off items. As far as I am concerned, it is legit if it is not taken down. Who knows, maybe the person I am buying from got at a HUGE discount and therefore can sell to me for the price I pay. Or, he/she is liquidating inventory and trying to unload stuff. Not my concern.

Except for the fact that you've just admitted that you love fakes, and know that the product you are purchasing is a fake. "It's legit if it's not taken down" is certainly not a defense. This whole "honest belief" thing comes into play. You're just being cheap.

spikes.jpg

But I can afford it, I choose not to pay their exorbitant prices, and instead get a solid counterfeit. Don't worry the leagues make more money off me than I save by buying fake jerseys.

The central issue isn't really the profit made by the manufacturer or the licensing organization. Commerce is regulated for a reason, in this situation, protection of intellectual property rights and aversion of organized crime are two central reasons.

And, if you could afford it, you would buy the real thing, because then you wouldn't look stupid wearing an inferior product. Instead of buying a Kia and slapping a Mercedes ornament on it and trying to convince everyone I bought/can afford a Mercedes, I prefer to just buy the Mercedes and enjoy the quality.

spikes.jpg

I completely agree. The War on Drugs has done more harm than good, and hasn't stopped anyone from doing drugs. But that's off-topic.

The point is, don't expect a good product if you're saving that much - quality comes with a price. And honestly, people who wear fakes around are complete posers in my book. Not to mention all the violations of intellectual property laws.

Your opinion of my choice of clothing doesn't matter to me, I am as real a fan of my teams as anyone else, and I don't care about not giving the leagues any more of my money. If you can show me the starving designer of any of the jerseys I buy then I would be happy to stop.

It still baffles me that people on a sports logos message board, where we respect logos that are created and enjoy them, can still try their best to justify these actions of obvious copyright infringement....

1. The knock-offs are nowhere near as good. It isn't even debatable.

2. It has become acceptable when one cannot afford something to instead buy a cheaper, illegally produced version of it? Perhaps if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it.

3. You will still look like a clown wearing that garbage.

1. There are plenty of knock-offs out there that look just as good. Not all, and there are some BAD jerseys, but I avoid those.

2. I can afford to buy the $250 jersey, I just choose not to. I can also afford to spend $75 to get my haircut at some place a co-worker frequents, but I instead choose to go to a regular barber for $15.

3. The bigger clown is the guy who pays 5 times what I did so they can have the real thing.

Except for the fact that you've just admitted that you love fakes, and know that the product you are purchasing is a fake. "It's legit if it's not taken down" is certainly not a defense. This whole "honest belief" thing comes into play. You're just being cheap.

never said I love the fakes. Saying I understand why people will buy them.

2. I can afford to buy the $250 jersey, I just choose not to. I can also afford to spend $75 to get my haircut at some place a co-worker frequents, but I instead choose to go to a regular barber for $15.

The difference is, the cheaper barber is still legal, while the cheaper jerseys aren't.

xLmjWVv.png

posers? What the heck does that even mean?

When I buy a jersey on EBay for $50, I accept there is a chance it is a knock-off. As far as the quality, I am not buying a Giants jersey to go out and play tackle football. Wear it to games and that is about it. Have never had a problem with a jersey falling apart in the wash or anything like that, and I only buy if the numbers and other details are acurate.

The difference is, the cheaper barber is still legal, while the cheaper jerseys aren't.

Willing to bet you have done quite a few illegal things in your life. Like I said, as far as I am concerned, it is EBay's job to take down the counterfeits. Besides, HIS point was about not being able to afford it. My point was I can afford it, just not paying that price. I can afford to pay $9 for a beer at the game, I just choose not to.

as for your comment about me being cheap. Let's see, I have season tickets to the Giants and Rangers, and have had ticket plans for the Mets over the years. I take at least 1 Giants and at least 3 Rangers road trips a year and I am not talking about going to see them play the Isles, Devils, or Flyers on the road. Have lots of Giants and Rangers memorabilia, mcfarlanes, custom mcfarlanes, but yeah, I am cheap.

Willing to bet you have done quite a few illegal things in your life.

Again, going 1mph over the speed limit or jaywalking on a road that's not busy or any other minor crime is hardly comparable to purchasing an illegal counterfeit jersey and funding the violation of copyright laws and intellectual-property rights. Furthermore, this thread isn't called "Thinking about doing anything wrong ever?" It's about counterfeit jerseys. The "everyone breaks the law during their lives" defense, therefore, is bullcrap.

xLmjWVv.png

as for your comment about me being cheap. Let's see, I have season tickets to the Giants and Rangers, and have had ticket plans for the Mets over the years.

Okay, here's a hypothetical for you. If a Pop Warner team in East Rutherford renamed themselves as the New York Giants and started selling tickets to their games, would you start going to those games instead of the NFL games? After all, you'd be seeing New York Giants football for cheaper, and quality doesn't matter as long as you're saving money, right?

xLmjWVv.png

Willing to bet you have done quite a few illegal things in your life.

Again, going 1mph over the speed limit or jaywalking on a road that's not busy or any other minor crime is hardly comparable to purchasing an illegal counterfeit jersey and funding the violation of copyright laws and intellectual-property rights. Furthermore, this thread isn't called "Thinking about doing anything wrong ever?" It's about counterfeit jerseys. The "everyone breaks the law during their lives" defense, therefore, is bullcrap.

not really. speed limits are in place for a reason. By breaking the speed limit you are putting the lives of others at risk. Same with jaywalking, can cause an accident when a driver needs to avoid hitting you. I would say putting the lives of others in danger is much more serious than buying a piece of clothing at a discount.