The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

It still baffles me that people on a sports logos message board, where we respect logos that are created and enjoy them, can still try their best to justify these actions of obvious copyright infringement....

because most people care more about their own wallet. Let's see, I can buy a licensed jersey for $250 or a knock-off for $50? So long as the quality is there (and nowadays, the knock-offs are pretty much just as good) I'll take the knock-off and use the extra $200 for something else.

I can buy a PS3 for $300 or spend $0 while stealing one from Best Buy. So long as the quality is there (and it would be, since it's a real PS3), I'll stick to theiving and use the extra $300 for something else. Either way, we are taking something which we have no right to because we don't want to spend the money which the applicable business sets for legally owning their goods.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It still baffles me that people on a sports logos message board, where we respect logos that are created and enjoy them, can still try their best to justify these actions of obvious copyright infringement....

because most people care more about their own wallet. Let's see, I can buy a licensed jersey for $250 or a knock-off for $50? So long as the quality is there (and nowadays, the knock-offs are pretty much just as good) I'll take the knock-off and use the extra $200 for something else.

I can buy a PS3 for $300 or spend $0 while stealing one from Best Buy. So long as the quality is there (and it would be, since it's a real PS3), I'll stick to theiving and use the extra $300 for something else. Either way, we are taking something which we have no right to because we don't want to spend the money which the applicable business sets for legally owning their goods.

But you are almost guaranteed to get in trouble for stealing from Best Buy, whereas there's a good chance you'll get away with buying a counterfeit jersey. Just like you are almost guaranteed to get in trouble for going 100mph over the speed limit, but there's a good chance you'll get away with driving 1mph over the speed limit.

Each of the 4 things I mentioned there are technically illegal, but you can get away with 2 of them. Why? Because at this point, those in charge of enforcement have decided that those 2 "crimes" are not egregious enough to warrant legal action in every instance. Law enforcement has better things to worry about than hunting down supposed "criminals" who bought a knockoff baseball cap in Chinatown for $5.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

But you are almost guaranteed to get in trouble for stealing from Best Buy, whereas there's a good chance you'll get away with buying a counterfeit jersey. Just like you are almost guaranteed to get in trouble for going 100mph over the speed limit, but there's a good chance you'll get away with driving 1mph over the speed limit.

Each of the 4 things I mentioned there are technically illegal, but you can get away with 2 of them. Why? Because at this point, those in charge of enforcement have decided that those 2 "crimes" are not egregious enough to warrant legal action in every instance. Law enforcement has better things to worry about than hunting down supposed "criminals" who bought a knockoff baseball cap in Chinatown for $5.

A lot of people get away with murder too.

jNTsTyQ.png

I love how people equate murder and larceny with buying some jerseys from China

Almost as crazy as equating stealing with jaywalking, huh?

jNTsTyQ.png

Buying jerseys from China is hardly stealing. I would never buy a jersey from the league at the price they charge for that crap but for $25 or so I will.

Here's a serious question. I used to frequent an aviation-themed shop in the DFW area that made "original" artwork by filling a shallow shadowbox-style frame with stuff like pics, playing cards, bag tags, and silverware from whatever airline. Is that not copyright infringement?

nope, it's not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

Yet I know of one major airline who considered going after a guy who made models of the proposed U.S. SST, the Boeing 2707, which was canceled and never flew, because he made them up in that airline's 1960s colors and sold them on eBay. How's that not a derivative work?

This isn't the airline I'm talking about but it is the product in Pan Am's colors:

!BdTobu!!2k~$(KGrHqYH-DgErgdc)disBK4TEtYvLg~~_3.JPG

I was directed to this thread by one of the guys I get jerseys for, we both think you are all hilarious. I have several china jerseys and they have all stood up to multiple washes and look great for the price. I feel no shame depriving the leagues of my money in this case. I go to several games a year, pay for center ice, sunday ticket ect... The way players change teams and teams change designs I will continue to do this.

Might want to revisit this bit of info from a shop owner in my town who "got jerseys" for other guys...

http://www.justice.gov/usao/mn/press/apr022.pdf

Hope that works out well for you :rolleyes:

I don't make any money off selling the jerseys, my friends pay what I pay. I just do the ordering. The case you referenced is irrelevant to me, I don't make a nickel off my friends, and I do not operate any sort of store. I am not doing anything illegal.

Knowingly purchasing counterfeit merchandise is illegal; selling counterfeit merchandise is illegal.

I asked this previously and have read most of this thread and don't recall anyone ever coming up with a link to an actual U.S. law or statute that states this. If buying it is illegal, there's a law somewhere that says so. The reason this just doesn't ring true is, how can there be such open buying and selling of obviously counterfeit goods on the streets of cities like New York? NYPD and the Feds don't seem as upset about that as you guys are about China jerseys.

Before anyone throws me in with the Johnny-come-lately troll - and it amazes me that you guys let this guy toss a match in your gasoline - I've said before that I'm conflicted on the issue and see good points on both sides. Buying counterfeits seems wrong but so does making a killing on "authentic" jerseys by a $9 billion league whose on-field uniforms (which have been documented in this thread and elsewhere) show they couldn't care less about uniform integrity.

If you're laughing at the China jersey guy in the stands, you better be laughing at Jermichael Finley too. His jersey looks like it came off the clearance rack at Big Lots (or from China maybe?).

96534848.jpg.27332_crop_340x234.jpg?1267431929

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Exactly. Coggs - how would you feel if people stopped buying memorabilia from you in droves because they decided eBay fakes were more cost effective? I bet you wouldn't be pleased.

That is their perogative. I know people on another board who buy autographs on EBay knowing there is a chance it is a forgery. Risk they take because they are not willing to spend the money for the real thing. Not going to lose sleep over it, eventually I find the people who want to buy from me as they know the player actually signed the item I am selling them. However, you go after the seller and the forger. Not the guy buying the forged autographs. Considering the average person/buyer couldn't spot a forgery if it bit them in the butt, it would be a waste of time.

I hardly ever post anything on EBay, not because of the forgeries, but because I know a few sellers who have been burned due to EBay's policies of pretty much always siding with the buyer.

Exactly. Coggs - how would you feel if people stopped buying memorabilia from you in droves because they decided eBay fakes were more cost effective? I bet you wouldn't be pleased.

I'd like to see how he dances around this one. I still can't comprehend how anybody could justify conterfeits.

Still no answer...

sorry, shut the computer down before you posed the question. Next time, I will leave the laptop turned on all night so I can answer faster.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I like some of the comments:

Posted by: J | Apr 28, 2011 11:25:51 AM

The puchase of knock off goods and or pirated goods does not equate to lost sales. I wish people would get this through their skulls. If something is super cheap it's probably too good to be true, if they are selling knock of stuff at originals MSRP then and only then should they be subject to legal action.

Also I don't want to see my taxes being spent protectiong some rich foriegn based company's interests, they should be doing it on their own dime.

I'm tired of watching governments raiding peoples houses arresting children because a buisiness has asked them to, copy rights should be defended by the owners of the rights not the public services.

Posted by: haaronl | Apr 28, 2011 11:44:43 AM

The USA has some incredibly stupid ideas when it comes to law making. For all your talk about freedom and justice there is very little fairness or common sense in the laws.

Posted by: scott andrews | Apr 28, 2011 12:24:51 PM

Well..counterfeit is jsut that..."counterfeit" so if your buying form the street and the vendor is saying that it is real..then what does the consumer know?? they buy it and get busted????this is odd... perhaps the arresting individuasl should ask where did you buy these goods and bring them to the scene of the crime where the proper arrest should be made...not the consumer...

Thanks

Scott

I heard about the councilwoman who proposed this to the city council. Can't see it passing. What are they going to do, post undercover cops near the shops and wait for people to come purchase? Why not just bust the shop owners? Or, will they set up sting operations like when they have a female officer go undercover as a hooker and bust the customers? Seems like a waste of time and resources to me.

Well, all I know is that if any of you guys who think buying counterfeit jerseys are ok, I'm going to take any logos you've ever designed, put them on t-shirts and sell them for dirt cheap. Guess how much you guys are going to make, aka, the people who own the logo or have designed it? Zero dollars and zero cents.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Wow someone is extremely unethical and without a moral compass. How do you feel about those counterfeit shops being more likely to use child slave labor? Don't give me that Nike, Reebok and whatnot do, because they don't use child labor (although the pay is still crappy, but is getting better and almost to the point that it is possible to support a family on in those countries).

Do you think that the counterfeiters that you are paying $30 per jersey for are paying a livable wage to their workers? That they aren't using child labor or essentially forcing their workers into a slavery condition? You represent what is wrong with the American public. You want what you want, and don't give a :censored: who you hurt to get it. People like that need to see what its like to be on the other side.

And by saying you don't care it is counterfeit, you are admitting that you knowingly buy counterfeit goods, which is illegal in the states. Don't think a prosecutor wouldn't pay someone to look through your computer and find the posts on here. They would, and then would stick you with the costs. You need to focus on the moral and ethical reasons why what you are doing is wrong however, and have compassion for the people you are stepping on just so you can have your jersey for a few dollars less.

Nike and Reebok's major expenses come from the ridiculous licensing fees they agree to pay. Their cost for materials and labor are not much more than the counterfeiters.

Yikes...this one is bad!

CCM-Vancouver-Canucks-33-Henrik-Sedin-Authentic-White-Third-With-40TH-Patch.jpg

Authentic, for comparison.

KurtenbachSedin.jpg

I agree, that one is terrible as are 99% of the Rangers jerseys I see (they can never get the drop shadow or the arch of the names right). However, tell someone the real thing is $300 and the knock-off is $30. Most people are going to say, "For $270, I'll take the fake." They are wearing the jersey to show they are a fan of the team and the fake is communicating the same message. Who's making the money isn't their concern.

Buying jerseys from China is hardly stealing. I would never buy a jersey from the league at the price they charge for that crap but for $25 or so I will.

It absolutely is stealing. You are stealing from the team, the league and Reebok/Majestic. They have the right to decide who gets to use/wear their likeness. The critea is simple, anyone who agrees to pay what they charge. If you don't agree to pay that, you have no right to wear it. Get it through your thick skull. Wearing a counterfeit jersey is stealing because it takes from the team, league and manufacturer what they would normally get from selling any jersey, whether or not you would purchase a jersey otherwise. You are paying the Chinese mafia for stealing likenesses from sports teams. Now, if you are going to come out with a simpleton argument like, "They are all rich and don't deserve money, so it's okay to screw them," (and some morons argue that anytime 'zomg! rich=evil' comes up), at least that would present an argument as to WHY you feel the way you do, albeit an immoral and irrational argument.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I am exchanging my money for a jersey, hence I am not stealing. Want to say the manufacturers or distributors are stealing, fine. Consumer is not stealing if they are paying for the jersey. It is not my job to police these companies.