The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

Keyword: PURCHASE! I am purchasing the jersey, hence I am not stealing. The NFL's bank account does not have money taken out because I am buying the cheaper jersey. Before you start with "well, they are not making the money.." save it. If all that existed were the licensed jerseys at $100+, $250 for authentics, then I would go without a jersey.

No, you are stealing by knowingly purchasing stolen merchandise. And counterfeit jerseys are stolen in that they steal the identity from the teams and manufacturers. It is like buying a bootleg copy of Photoshop for $20 (albeit one which doesn't have all the features and crashes your system periodically). I mean, you wouldn't spend $1,000 to buy the software legitimately, so it isn't like Adobe is losing money, right? The NFL has money taken away from it because it has the right to X amount of dollars for every person wearing an NFL jersey. If you don't want to give them that money, don't wear the jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

We all agree these are not perfect but this jersey cost me $20, as opposed to a slightly better one for $300.

Honestly, that's not bad at all for $20.

Yeah, he did get a "$20 Jersey" but its still a counterfeit knockoff and IP theft.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

We all agree these are not perfect but this jersey cost me $20, as opposed to a slightly better one for $300.

That is my argument, why would I pay $80 for a replica that will fall apart after two washes when I can get these for $20.

That is my argument, why would I pay $80 for a replica that will fall apart after two washes when I can get these for $20.

That isn't true at all. I have owned replica jerseys from each of the 4 sports. I have NEVER had one fall apart, including ones which I would wear almost once a week when I was a kid. If you did in fact have a replica fall apart after two wears (which you didn't, you just made that up to make your argument better), you should have returned it to the store you bought it from and gotten a new one. On the other hand, I know people who have knock-off jerseys and have seen those fall apart and/or become horribly discolored after two washes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That isn't true at all. I have owned replica jerseys from each of the 4 sports. I have NEVER had one fall apart, including ones which I would wear almost once a week when I was a kid. If you did in fact have a replica fall apart after two wears (which you didn't, you just made that up to make your argument better), you should have returned it to the store you bought it from and gotten a new one. On the other hand, I know people who have knock-off jerseys and have seen those fall apart and/or become horribly discolored after two washes.

I purchased a Cincinnati Bengals Takeo Spikes Jersey in November of 2002, I wore and washed it twice during that season before it looked so bad I stopped wearing it. I then never purchased another one until I found a solid seller overseas, where the quality has been much better and the price is a lot cheaper.

Well, all I know is that if any of you guys who think buying counterfeit jerseys are ok, I'm going to take any logos you've ever designed, put them on t-shirts and sell them for dirt cheap. Guess how much you guys are going to make, aka, the people who own the logo or have designed it? Zero dollars and zero cents.

No one has answered my question concerning designers, how many of the current MAJOR sports logos designers are paid royalties on each jersey purchased? I am guessing 0 so I am not hurting the designers in any way.

This is not true.

Say team A is wiling to pay $50k for a great new logo and uniform design. This is based on their analysis that a new look will spur $1,000,000 in sales in the next year. The new logo is a hit, but the counterfeiters are all over it, so sales of legit licensed gear only net $500,000. This will lead to one of two things - either the team (or the next team in a similar situation) will offer the designer (or firm) $25k for the next package, or the licensees will absorb the cost and offer significantly less next time around. Either way there's less money to pay the designer, which has a trickle down effect on the industry as a whole.

It's a shame that most of the strong debaters checked out of this thread ages ago. After reading the last few pages, I'm thinking about ordering some fakes.

Not really.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Keyword: PURCHASE! I am purchasing the jersey, hence I am not stealing. The NFL's bank account does not have money taken out because I am buying the cheaper jersey. Before you start with "well, they are not making the money.." save it. If all that existed were the licensed jerseys at $100+, $250 for authentics, then I would go without a jersey.

No, you are stealing by knowingly purchasing stolen merchandise. And counterfeit jerseys are stolen in that they steal the identity from the teams and manufacturers. It is like buying a bootleg copy of Photoshop for $20 (albeit one which doesn't have all the features and crashes your system periodically). I mean, you wouldn't spend $1,000 to buy the software legitimately, so it isn't like Adobe is losing money, right? The NFL has money taken away from it because it has the right to X amount of dollars for every person wearing an NFL jersey. If you don't want to give them that money, don't wear the jersey.

Disagree. Not stealing anything. Want to say the makers and sellers are stealing, I'll agree. I paid my money for an item. Like I said, I am not buying the knock-off instead of the licensed as I would not buy the licensed at their price if I couldn't find a good knock-off I wanted.

Well, all I know is that if any of you guys who think buying counterfeit jerseys are ok, I'm going to take any logos you've ever designed, put them on t-shirts and sell them for dirt cheap. Guess how much you guys are going to make, aka, the people who own the logo or have designed it? Zero dollars and zero cents.

No one has answered my question concerning designers, how many of the current MAJOR sports logos designers are paid royalties on each jersey purchased? I am guessing 0 so I am not hurting the designers in any way.

This is not true.

Say team A is wiling to pay $50k for a great new logo and uniform design. This is based on their analysis that a new look will spur $1,000,000 in sales in the next year. The new logo is a hit, but the counterfeiters are all over it, so sales of legit licensed gear only net $500,000. This will lead to one of two things - either the team (or the next team in a similar situation) will offer the designer (or firm) $25k for the next package, or the licensees will absorb the cost and offer significantly less next time around. Either way there's less money to pay the designer, which has a trickle down effect on the industry as a whole.

It's a shame that most of the strong debaters checked out of this thread ages ago. After reading the last few pages, I'm thinking about ordering some fakes.

Not really.

then the firm designing the logo needs to negotiate better and say, "No, we want $50K for our services." If the designer is that good, they'll get their money.

This is not true.

Not really.

then the firm designing the logo needs to negotiate better and say, "No, we want $50K for our services." If the designer is that good, they'll get their money.

:rolleyes:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I don't buy replicas anymore, only authentic ... but when I had my last replica I washed it in cold water, and inside out ... inside out is the way to go, and you never put them in the dryer, air dry

If you wash it in a full load with alot of other clothes rubbing all over it in the wash cycle it's just gonna wear out quickly, especially if you don't wash it inside out.

You don't have to spend a near $300 at NFL.com or thru your team apparel shop to get a genuine authentic. USA vendors get them too at much better prices.

Back in the day I would legitimately purchase jerseys until I bought a Takeo Spikes jersey which fell apart after 2 washes. I vowed to never get burned like that again. The fakes I buy look almost as good, sometimes better, cost less, and none have fallen apart like the replica I bought.

I'd love to know how you washed it because I have NFL replicas that still look decent after many years of washing/drying.

The key is to not place them in the dryer.

This is not true.

Not really.

I don't see how the design is worth less based on previous sales not hitting their mark.

I am NEVER going to buy a crappy replica for $80 or a slightly better authentic for $300 when I can get a good knock off for $20-25. Since I am NEVER going to do that they are not losing any sales from me buying knock offs.

This is not true.

Not really.

I don't see how the design is worth less based on previous sales not hitting their mark.

I am NEVER going to buy a crappy replica for $80 or a slightly better authentic for $300 when I can get a good knock off for $20-25. Since I am NEVER going to do that they are not losing any sales from me buying knock offs.

1. It's pretty simple. Businesses budget certain amounts for certain things. The amount that gets budgeted is usually based on the value that the project ads. If it's considered a reinvestment in the organization, then the ROI is what's important. Cut that ROI in half by taking away would-be sales, and the design budget gets cut in half. Sure a designer could say "I don't care about your ROI - my design work is still worth $50k" and just about any company would say "well we have $25k budgeted. If you can do it for $25 we can talk, otherwise NEXT".

2. You can't say what you'll never do until you have no other options. Even if you wouldn't, there are other buyers of fakes who would. It's the same story with streaming PPVs - "I wouldn't buy the fight / wrestling match anyway, so I'm allowed to watch it for free".

I just don't see how you can possibly claim that you're not a troll. You signed up as "LoveTheFakes," post arrogant, condescending crap that shows you just don't get it, and you've never posted outside this thread. My troll radar is going off.

Can we stop with the troll talk? I'm starting to hate the sound of that word after reading it over and over again. He's not making irrational points here. I vehemently disagree with them, but certainly you can see how there are probably more people who feel that way than who don't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."