The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

The NHL is reportedly stepping up its efforts to deal with the counterfeiting problem:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-to-counterfeiters-knock-it-off-with-the-knock-offs/article2183894/

As far as I can tell, the NHL is at the same place the recording industry was around 2001 or so, hoping that a combination of asking nicely/veiled threats will make their problems go away. Eventually the recording industry learned how to get by selling MP3 singles at 99 cents and CDs at $11.99 (instead of $21.99), just as the NHL will eventually adjust to jerseys selling for $89 instead of $249.

Is knowingly purchasing counterfeit materials illegal? I don't see how you don't see an issue with IP theft, loogodude. You're cheating people out of literally millions of dollars - how the hell can you compare that to speeding? You wouldn't sit there and say what Bernie Madoff did was just as bad as going 7 mph over the speed limit, would you...?

6fQjS3M.png

I don't see how you don't see an issue with IP theft, loogodude. You're cheating people out of literally millions of dollars - how the hell can you compare that to speeding? You wouldn't sit there and say what Bernie Madoff did was just as bad as going 7 mph over the speed limit, would you...?

The same way you don't see an issue with speeding. You're cheating thousands of people per year out of their lives - how the hell can you compare that to stealing money? You wouldn't sit there and say that killing someone was just as bad as stealing $50, would you ... ?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I don't see how you don't see an issue with IP theft, loogodude. You're cheating people out of literally millions of dollars - how the hell can you compare that to speeding? You wouldn't sit there and say what Bernie Madoff did was just as bad as going 7 mph over the speed limit, would you...?

The same way you don't see an issue with speeding. You're cheating thousands of people per year out of their lives - how the hell can you compare that to stealing money? You wouldn't sit there and say that killing someone was just as bad as stealing $50, would you ... ?

Speeding =/= killing a person. How are you still not getting this?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Is knowingly purchasing counterfeit materials illegal? I don't see how you don't see an issue with IP theft, loogodude. You're cheating people out of literally millions of dollars - how the hell can you compare that to speeding? You wouldn't sit there and say what Bernie Madoff did was just as bad as going 7 mph over the speed limit, would you...?

Forget it man.

I simple voiced my 2 cents on it and they jumped all over it. Ice Cap spent pages trying to make the point.

Some people just don't see eye to eye.

And before anyone jumps all over me... You are entitled to your opinion. As am I. You are no less of a person for thinking what you do.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Nobody is saying it's okay to speed, you ARE saying it's okay to buy counterfeit merchandise.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Article on fake merchandise.

The fashion industry may have a high tolerance for fake people, but its tolerance for fake merchandise is an entirely different story.

Knockoff footwear, handbags and other items have always been a thorn in designers’ sides – especially in the online marketplace, where the problem only seems to be getting worse. In 2010, the U.S. government logged 42% more merchandise seizures at express consignment and mail facilities than in 2009, citing the “continued growth” of websites that sell pirated products.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/09/29/six-ways-to-tell-if-designer-handbag-is-fake/?test=faces#ixzz1ZND2vphr

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Here's the thing. If I speed I admit it was wrong. If I get pulled over I own up to breaking the law and pay the ticket. I don't say "well everyone's broken the law at some point so what's the big deal officer?"

That, you see, is the crux of this disagreement. Breaking the law isn't so much the issue, it's acknowledging that breaking the law is wrong. I don't care if you buy counterfeits, or how good or poor their quality is. Just have the wherewithal to admit that what you're doing is supporting an illegal business practice. Don't try to deflect personal responsibility by saying it's ok because someone else does something illegal or play the "mean old corporations charge to much for the real thing" card. It's a jersey. Not food or medicine. You're not entitled to owning one.

Here's the thing. If I speed I admit it was wrong. If I get pulled over I own up to breaking the law and pay the ticket. I don't say "well everyone's broken the law at some point so what's the big deal officer?"

That, you see, is the crux of this disagreement. Breaking the law isn't so much the issue, it's acknowledging that breaking the law is wrong. I don't care if you buy counterfeits, or how good or poor their quality is. Just have the wherewithal to admit that what you're doing is supporting an illegal business practice. Don't try to deflect personal responsibility by saying it's ok because someone else does something illegal or play the "mean old corporations charge to much for the real thing" card. It's a jersey. Not food or medicine. You're not entitled to owning one.

But the point is that you are breaking the law (speeding) even when you aren't being caught. If you speed, then you really don't have a right to rag on other people for owning a counterfeit jersey... at least not as much as some users here seem to do.

But the point is that you are breaking the law (speeding) even when you aren't being caught. If you speed, then you really don't have a right to rag on other people for owning a counterfeit jersey... at least not as much as some users here seem to do.

You have a hard time grasping simple concepts, don't you.

As I have suggested before, I think it is safe to assume that people tend to talk a lot slower and use smaller words when you enter a room.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

You have a hard time grasping simple concepts, don't you.

As I have suggested before, I think it is safe to assume that people tend to talk a lot slower and use smaller words when you enter a room.

An empty quote like that indicates that you're unable to respond to my point with a valid point.

Once you derail a topic by posting something irrelevant, meaningless, and off-topic like you just did, or start resorting to personal attacks (like you also just did), it's clear that you have nothing worthwhile to add.

If you want to respond to my previous quote with something meaningful, go ahead. Otherwise, thanks for playing.

Saw my first counterfeit in person today (red and green Devils Kovalchuk) and I never imagined they looked that bad in person. Wow

You sure about that? I hear that not only are they cheaper but that most people can't tell the difference. ^_^

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

It looked like they stuck the logo in a dryer before they put it on. And I knew those numbers touching the stripes were off.....

The cresting and lettering tend to be of inferior quality which accounts for the waviness of it all. Not to mention the poorly and missized copied fonts

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Yeah, but at least this guy has the decency to state that they're bootleg jerseys: "Jerseys are replicas and not authentic licensed NBA merchandise."

As if it wasn't obvious enough...

Yeah, but at least this guy has the decency to state that they're bootleg jerseys: "Jerseys are replicas and not authentic licensed NBA merchandise."

As if it wasn't obvious enough...

I like how the description states they've never been worn...You mean to tell me the original owner left these badboys in the closet without ever wearing them?

Oh and another thing:

Even when you buy an authentic from an official seller- you're still not getting a legit on-field jersey. They don't have the draw-string sleeves or anything like that. So you're kind of getting duped anyway in to thinking you're getting the real deal when you aren't.