The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

66 pages of self-righteous moralizing later, so many posters fail to grasp that this is an economic issue. Go ahead and charge an exorbitant amount for an easily duplicated product, and don't be surprised when the counterfeits proliferate.

Obviously it can't be hurting the manufacturers that badly if the prices for these things have remained the same or gone up. Once they feel it you'll see prices start to come down as it did with the music industry - Napster and Limewire brought a swift and merciful end to the days of the $24.99 backcatalogue CD. Perhaps it won't be long before the same happens to the $299.99 authentic jersey.

Moral of the thread: We are all entitled to own whatever we want and nobody has a right to set the amount you must pay them. Since it's wrong of them to deprive you of things you want, just steal anything you don't feel like paying for.

Exactly. A jersey is a luxury item. You're not entitled to one. If you think the prices of the official product is to high don't buy it. If enough people don't buy official jerseys for this reason then the prices will drop. You're capable of effecting the market without supporting illegal activities such as ip theft.

Except the thing is, you don't have the authority to tell people what they should and should not buy. Nice try, though.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

66 pages of self-righteous moralizing later, so many posters fail to grasp that this is an economic issue. Go ahead and charge an exorbitant amount for an easily duplicated product, and don't be surprised when the counterfeits proliferate.

Obviously it can't be hurting the manufacturers that badly if the prices for these things have remained the same or gone up. Once they feel it you'll see prices start to come down as it did with the music industry - Napster and Limewire brought a swift and merciful end to the days of the $24.99 backcatalogue CD. Perhaps it won't be long before the same happens to the $299.99 authentic jersey.

Moral of the thread: We are all entitled to own whatever we want and nobody has a right to set the amount you must pay them. Since it's wrong of them to deprive you of things you want, just steal anything you don't feel like paying for.

Exactly. A jersey is a luxury item. You're not entitled to one. If you think the prices of the official product is to high don't buy it. If enough people don't buy official jerseys for this reason then the prices will drop. You're capable of effecting the market without supporting illegal activities such as ip theft.

Except the thing is, you don't have the authority to tell people what they should and should not buy. Nice try, though.

Lousy IceCap endorsing IP laws! :rolleyes:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I don't, no. The law, however, does.

I don't have the authority to tell people not to rob a bank. Doesn't mean they should.

66 pages of self-righteous moralizing later, so many posters fail to grasp that this is an economic LEGAL issue. Go ahead and charge an exorbitant amount for an easily duplicated product, and don't be surprised when the counterfeits proliferate.

FYP

Nice try, but the problem will not be solved through legal means. That will only happen through economics. Either prices for authentics drop or demand fizzles for sports jerseys across the board - both scenarios would deprive the counterfeiters of their market.

No court in the world has the power to strike down the basic laws of economics. It's that simple. You can cast aspersions on counterfeit buyers as much as you want, but it isn't going to stop anything. It's simple economics at work.

66 pages of self-righteous moralizing later, so many posters fail to grasp that this is an economic LEGAL issue. Go ahead and charge an exorbitant amount for an easily duplicated product, and don't be surprised when the counterfeits proliferate.

FYP

Nice try, but the problem will not be solved through legal means. That will only happen through economics. Either prices for authentics drop or demand fizzles for sports jerseys across the board - both scenarios would deprive the counterfeiters of their market.

No court in the world has the power to strike down the basic laws of economics. It's that simple. You can cast aspersions on counterfeit buyers as much as you want, but it isn't going to stop anything. It's simple economics at work.

Clearly it isn't a legal issue.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

2010081414030713265.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The reason people support counterfeit jerseys is because they can get an expensive product at a reasonable price. Simple as that.

No, they can get a cheap and poorly made knock-off of an expensive product at a reasonable price.

My china counterfit supersonics jersey is fine material-wise. As for errors, the piping around the neck is orange instead of yellow but for $28 dollars, I'll take it.

Call china counterfits whatever you want, but Brass summed it up perfectly. And as for fan, "thinking that they're entitled to a jersey for less money," that's not the case. It's more of, fans having an opportunity to purchase a jersey for significantly less, and although it's legal, feeling bad that they're ripping off a monopoly industry that make jerseys.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The reason people support counterfeit jerseys is because they can get an expensive product at a reasonable price. Simple as that.

No, they can get a cheap and poorly made knock-off of an expensive product at a reasonable price.

My china counterfit supersonics jersey is fine material-wise. As for errors, the piping around the neck is orange instead of yellow but for $28 dollars, I'll take it.

Call china counterfits whatever you want, but Brass summed it up perfectly. And as for fan, "thinking that they're entitled to a jersey for less money," that's not the case. It's more of, fans having an opportunity to purchase a jersey for significantly less, and although it's legal, feeling bad that they're ripping off a monopoly industry that make jerseys.

So its all about the size of the company that you are "sticking it to"

RBK or Nike is ok to screw but not "Ma and Pa's Jersey Shoppe"?

What it seems to boil down to is:

If you really, really, really want a jersey its ok to take part in and endorse (with your dollars) IP theft.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

So its all about the size of the company that you are "sticking it to"

RBK or Nike is ok to screw but not "Ma and Pa's Jersey Shoppe"?

What it seems to boil down to is:

If you really, really, really want a jersey its ok to take part in and endorse (with your dollars) IP theft.

yes

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I've noticed recently that private sports stores owned by individuals (i.e. not corporations like Champs, Finish Line, Sports Authority, etc.) are frequently selling Chinese knockoffs. There are a ton out here in the Midwest. Anyone else see this, too?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I've noticed recently that private sports stores owned by individuals (i.e. not corporations like Champs, Finish Line, Sports Authority, etc.) are frequently selling Chinese knockoffs. There are a ton out here in the Midwest. Anyone else see this, too?

I've heard it but haven't personally seen it.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

I've heard it but haven't personally seen it.

Even a big place out here like Denver Autographs has the knockoffs for sale with autographs on them. It's more the throwbacks than anything current, but it's really a problem that's getting bigger.