The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

I've noticed recently that private sports stores owned by individuals (i.e. not corporations like Champs, Finish Line, Sports Authority, etc.) are frequently selling Chinese knockoffs. There are a ton out here in the Midwest. Anyone else see this, too?

I've heard it but haven't personally seen it.

Even a big place out here like Denver Autographs has the knockoffs for sale with autographs on them. It's more the throwbacks than anything current, but it's really a problem that's getting bigger.

I don't understand why players would knowingly sign a knockoff considering they know what an authentic is because they wear them for their jobs. I would think overall that would bring the value of the signature down. I'd rather have them sign a well-made replica than a crappy knockoff authentic. I guess ultimately it just comes down to price. Most people don't care about true authentic jerseys as long as they can get a good deal on something else. I have to wonder though, if the market gets saturated with enough Chinese knockoff jerseys, will the price of the real authentics come down in order to compete.

The store I saw out here had a bunch of Bears, Packers, Vikings, Browns, Steelers, and Dolphins knockoff jerseys all on a rack. All on "sale" for $59.99. This was the quality of them...which isn't bad, but you can tell it's a knockoff:

Henne1.jpg

NOTE - This is not a photo I took at the store. It is a photo I saw online that looks exactly like what I saw at the store...tags and all!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I've noticed recently that private sports stores owned by individuals (i.e. not corporations like Champs, Finish Line, Sports Authority, etc.) are frequently selling Chinese knockoffs. There are a ton out here in the Midwest. Anyone else see this, too?

Even a big place out here like Denver Autographs has the knockoffs for sale with autographs on them. It's more the throwbacks than anything current, but it's really a problem that's getting bigger.

I don't understand why players would knowingly sign a knockoff considering they know what an authentic is because they wear them for their jobs. I would think overall that would bring the value of the signature down. I'd rather have them sign a well-made replica than a crappy knockoff authentic. I guess ultimately it just comes down to price. Most people don't care about true authentic jerseys as long as they can get a good deal on something else. I have to wonder though, if the market gets saturated with enough Chinese knockoff jerseys, will the price of the real authentics come down in order to compete.

The store I saw out here had a bunch of Bears, Packers, Vikings, Browns, Steelers, and Dolphins knockoff jerseys all on a rack. All on "sale" for $59.99. This was the quality of them...which isn't bad, but you can tell it's a knockoff:

Henne1.jpg

NOTE - This is not a photo I took at the store. It is a photo I saw online that looks exactly like what I saw at the store...tags and all!

The letters, numbers and logos on the jersey are a dead give away. The longer those jerseys are worn and the more they are washed the worse the quality gets. Also the stitching on the numbers and letters is not the correct (dare I say iconic) zig-zag pattern that we are used to seeing.

Also, the athletes might not be signing those jerseys, the autographs could be fakes too.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

A friend of mine bought several knockoffs from an online store (can't remember which). They're horrible. The font, numbers, laces and even the logo just don't look right. Also note the Stanley Cup Champions patch on the white one.

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

spacer.png

The NOB font is hilarious.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah but they're cheaper and he deserves one or three. :rolleyes:

Once again, no one is saying that they deserve a fake.

The thought process is that they can get a high priced item at a low price, and really don't care what a group of people over the internet think of their descision.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The thought process is that they can get a high priced item at a low price, and really don't care what a group of people over the internet think of their descision.

If they didn't, they wouldn't be in here trying to defend it.

Actually, they get what they pay for. A far inferior quality product that's essentially a piece of :censored: and looks horrible.

I have NEVER seen a great fake, ever. I've seen maybe two DECENT ones, but you could even tell they weren't great.

My thought is if I want a jersey and can't afford a M&N product, I'll make it myself, which by the way is perfectly legal, look it up. However, I like the replica/swingman jerseys just fine. They're a cheaper alternative and if you know how to take care of your jerseys, they'll last a long, long time... unlike cheap fakes.

That's not fake, that's a swingman, and is 100% NBA authentic.

But still, they used Comic Sans in the description. I wouldn't support anyone who uses Comic Sans :P

spacer.png

Re: the Bruins jerseys above

Leaving aside the various issues regarding the sale of counterfeit jerseys for a moment, I will say how surprised I am that the counterfeiters have such a hard time getting the details right. Considering what a big business fake jerseys seem to be, you'd think they could come up with a more accurate copy.

Henne1.jpg

The letters, numbers and logos on the jersey are a dead give away. The longer those jerseys are worn and the more they are washed the worse the quality gets. Also the stitching on the numbers and letters is not the correct (dare I say iconic) zig-zag pattern that we are used to seeing.

Also, the athletes might not be signing those jerseys, the autographs could be fakes too.

See, but I'm aware of it. It's a matter of are other customers aware? I mean, there's not much I can do anyway. Should I stand outside of the store with my own authentic, replica, and "swingman" jerseys to show would-be customers what the differences are from the Chinese fakes? I bet I'd get kicked out real fast. All kidding aside though, I'm debating writing to teams when I see stores selling fakes. I could tell the Chicago Bears of this store since it's in their area.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png