The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

Also, I think that's a Rev30 jock tag, which would not have been on the Sonics' jerseys. The kerning on the seattle looks off.

This is the most obvious mistake to me. Not just the kerning, but it looks like the arching on the letters and the shape of the white arch are off as well.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Also, I think that's a Rev30 jock tag, which would not have been on the Sonics' jerseys. The kerning on the seattle looks off.

This is the most obvious mistake to me. Not just the kerning, but it looks like the arching on the letters and the shape of the white arch are off as well.

I noticed that too, but again, $28. Is it perfect? No. But it's not ugly or off enough to stop me from wearing it. It passes the "close enough" test.

There are certainly counterfeit jerseys (hell, jerseys in general) out there that look like complete :censored: and are laughable, but this isn't one of them.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

It looks pretty awful to me, I wouldn't wear that. I unknowingly got 2 NFL knockoffs and one looks amazing IMO and the other is ok with the major flaw being the wavy numbers.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

As a similiar example, many people think that NFL tickets are too expensive, however at the first sight of a fake ticket a person is not getting into a game why is that practice not tolerated, but fake jereys etc... are?

Seriously? Maybe it's because someone with a fake ticket creates problems for the person who legitimately bought a ticket and finds their seat occupied by someone else? Maybe we can equate the two when buying a counterfeit jersey takes a legit jersey off of someone elses back.

This one size fits all "stealing" idea is kind of silly...when counterfeiting a jersey takes real jerseys away from people, when downloading songs makes a CD purchased wholesale by a store disappear, and when "stealing" cable turns off a real subscriber's cable, then we can really think of these things as theft. Until then, they're all unauthorized illegal uses, but in many ways more like trespassing than stealing.

Murder is worse than stealing, and buying a bootleg jersey is better than selling a bootleg jersey is better than boosting a jersey from a store is better than sticking a gun in someone's face and taking their sneakers.

Buying a counterfeit is supporting an illegal industry, and indirectly hurts those entities that own the original rights or pay to use them...nothing less, but nothing more either, ethically...I can't imagine it's even literally illegal to purchase them since it's easy to unknowingly do so.

As a similiar example, many people think that NFL tickets are too expensive, however at the first sight of a fake ticket a person is not getting into a game why is that practice not tolerated, but fake jereys etc... are?

Because a ticket and a jersey are two entirely different types of items. A ticket is used as proof/evidence that you are allowed to "get in," just like an ID. A jersey is just something you just hang in your closet/room or wear. A jersey is not used to legitimize your right to be somewhere, whereas a ticket is. Two completely different things.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The reason that I don't think this is a very good comparison is that if you buy a fake ticket, you are screwing over another fan who paid money for his. However if you buy a fake jersey and wear it, what is the harm that you're doing to those who paid money for an authentic jersey.

I've said it before in this thread, but nobody that buys counterfeit jerseys feels that it isn't wrong, doesn't know that it's illegal, or feel "entitled" to a jersey at a lower price. Fan who buy them just don't see them as bad as other crimes, with fake tickets easily being one of them. For right or wrong, it's fair to say that most people would see screwing another fan out of a chance to see a game as worse than buying a fake jersey, which would *barely* hurt big-time companies like Nike, Reebok, Majestic, Adidas, etc.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The reason that I don't think this is a very good comparison is that if you buy a fake ticket, you are screwing over another fan who paid money for his. However if you buy a fake jersey and wear it, what is the harm that you're doing to those who paid money for an authentic jersey.

I've said it before in this thread, but nobody that buys counterfeit jerseys feels that it isn't wrong, doesn't know that it's illegal, or feel "entitled" to a jersey at a lower price. Fan who buy them just don't see them as bad as other crimes, with fake tickets easily being one of them. For right or wrong, it's fair to say that most people would see screwing another fan out of a chance to see a game as worse than buying a fake jersey, which would *barely* hurt big-time companies like Nike, Reebok, Majestic, Adidas, etc.

Except you do screw over the player who's not getting royalties, the average NFL, team, or company American/Canadian employee who's bonus or pay could be less (or loses their job because of less sales), and most importantly the person child that made your jersey in a work environment that isn't regulated at all.*

No big deal though...

*I know most companies don't have the best track record, but in the apparel business there is at least an attempt to regulate working conditions and pay a working wage. With counterfeiters, there is no regulation, no attempt, and many times they are fronts for worse illegal activity.

YOUTH-NHL-jerseys-Winnipeg-Jets-blank-jerseys-blue-84633.jpg

This jersey was designed by Jacob Barrette, the same guy that "helped with" the Sens' third jersey.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/11/2/winnipeg-jets-bridging-the-gap.html

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Except you do screw over the player who's not getting royalties, the average NFL, team, or company American/Canadian employee who's bonus or pay could be less (or loses their job because of less sales), and most importantly the person child that made your jersey in a work environment that isn't regulated at all.*

That's a pretty darn indirect and diluted effect when compared to paying for a ticket and finding your seat occupied.

And frankly, the consumer feels he is getting screwed over too in an industry where, for example, replica NBA jerseys are intentionally crippled with ridiculous wide shoulders to "force" you to buy more expensive versions...bootlegging is illegal, but bootlegging and price gouging are both unethical. And, given the importance of the brand and license to the consumer, it's a bit of a virtual monopoly situation - obviously one that can't be resolved, but there's hardly a legal "generic equivalent" to an "NBA jersey of player X". One can appreciate how the NBA and manufacturers jacking up the price is unethical in the sense/spirit of the reasons for antitrust laws.

YOUTH-NHL-jerseys-Winnipeg-Jets-blank-jerseys-blue-84633.jpg

This jersey was designed by Jacob Barrette, the same guy that "helped with" the Sens' third jersey.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/11/2/winnipeg-jets-bridging-the-gap.html

Attention concept creators: Make a concept you're really proud of, sucker Icethetics into featuring it, and you'll be able to get a hard copy for $50 in a couple months' time.

This one is fantastic because the counterfeiters are probably gonna lose money on it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's a pretty darn indirect and diluted effect when compared to paying for a ticket and finding your seat occupied.

And frankly, the consumer feels he is getting screwed over too in an industry where, for example, replica NBA jerseys are intentionally crippled with ridiculous wide shoulders to "force" you to buy more expensive versions...bootlegging is illegal, but bootlegging and price gouging are both unethical. And, given the importance of the brand and license to the consumer, it's a bit of a virtual monopoly situation - obviously one that can't be resolved, but there's hardly a legal "generic equivalent" to an "NBA jersey of player X". One can appreciate how the NBA and manufacturers jacking up the price is unethical in the sense/spirit of the reasons for antitrust laws.

Kinda hypocritical claiming ethics when purchasing something that is: stolen intellectual property, produced using off the radar labor practices, and questionable use of profits.

So what's an ethical price? Is it $50 they charge? Let's look at that price.

Let's say the $50 they are charging is made using workers getting a living wage (it's not). Let's even assume that $50 covers the overhead that's required in a legit company. (it doesn't) and assume its being constructed with the same materials and quality the big mean manufactures use (they aren't).

So take that $50, double it for your average retailer markup, add 15% for royalties they aren't paying, and you are at $115. What do NHL premier jerseys go for again? $125. Nba swingman? $100. NFL replithentic? $115. MLB replica? $100.

They play by the rules and they charge pretty much exactly what the Chinese counterfeiters would charge if they played by the rules. How unethical.

So take that $50, double it for your average retailer markup,

Really? That's a heck of a profit margin.

Perfectly decent replica jerseys cost 30-40 dollars ten years ago. Perfectly decent replica jerseys no longer exist. Intentionally awful replica jerseys now cost 60 dollars. It's a shirt with some designs screenprinted or sewn on it.

Perfectly decent replica jerseys cost 30-40 dollars ten years ago. Perfectly decent replica jerseys no longer exist. Intentionally awful replica jerseys now cost 60 dollars. It's a shirt with some designs screenprinted or sewn on it.

While NFL replica jerseys are now at $80, they're MUCH better than they were 10 years ago when they were $45. The quality difference between the replicas from ten years ago (I have several) and now (have several of those too) is immense. I absolutely love the NFL replica jerseys now, and I've never paid full price for one.

As for NBA jerseys, the swingman is by far superior to the replica. Also, if you're smart, you can get ahold of a swingman for around $50... $75 at most. I paid <$40 for all four of my swingman jerseys.

Ummm yeah. That's retail 101. Wholesale is typically half of retail price.

As for the $40 replicas, you mean these?

kemp%20champion%20sonics%20green%2048.jpg