The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

Wow, nice quality. 6 years? I'd say you made a great purchase here. I wouldn't know that was a fake, and neither would most people.

Except that everything about it screams "fake." The jersey mesh, bubbly numbers, shoddy sleeve logo and super-tight neck.

I'm going to disagree here - maybe to a neurotic blowhard like you it would look fake, but I would be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 people (if not more!) people on the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Oh, and they probably wouldn't care either, if they found out. Because balanced people aren't obsessed with pointing out who of the random people they see in public are wearing "fakes" and who aren't.

I'd rather look good for a year and a half than cheap for six?

LOL, was that meant to be a question?

You are a dumb consumer, then. Congratulations on being duped and wasting your money. Have fun buying unnecessarily overpriced jerseys every year, while the more enlightened folks spend less money for a equal or higher quality product.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

You are a dumb consumer, then. Congratulations on being duped and wasting your money. Have fun buying unnecessarily overpriced jerseys every year, while the more enlightened folks spend less money for a equal or higher quality product.

Congratulations on supporting: IP theft, unsafe working conditions, a non living wage and the loss of American jobs. Nice example you're setting for your students.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Everytime I see someone in a fake, I think "douchebag.". It's like buying CZ for your girlfriend and telling everyone it's real. it's leasing a car you can't afford. It's buying everything on credit.

I was at a beer tasting yesterday and saw a large number of hockey jerseys. About 3/4 of them were fake. Douchebags.

Everytime I see someone in a fake, I think "douchbag.". It's like buying CZ for your girlfriend and trekking everyone it's real. it's leasing a car you can't afford. It's buying reverything on credit.

I was at a beer tasting yesterday and saw a large number of hockey jerseys. About 3/4 of them were fake.

FYP

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Everytime I see someone in a fake, I think "douchbag.". It's like buying CZ for your girlfriend and trekking everyone it's real. it's leasing a car you can't afford. It's buying reverything on credit.

I was at a beer tasting yesterday and saw a large number of hockey jerseys. About 3/4 of them were fake.

FYP

Ok maybe those things aren't universally douchey.

FYP

Lots of people lease because they like getting a brand new car every two to three years, buying everything on credit (unless they can afford to do so) is not the best idea ever. However, at least they are legal activities.

Also, leasing and buying on credit does not jack up (and keep up) the prices of the legit items for the people that choose to make their purchases the legal way.

If Congress were to do its job:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to

Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and discoveries

A1S8

We may see a greater crack down on these activities. (and yes, the Federal govt. has shut many of these sites down, but they just keep popping back up)

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

FYP

Lots of people lease because they like getting a brand new car every two to three years, buying everything on credit (unless they can afford to do so) is not the best idea ever. However, at least they are legal activities.

Also, leasing and buying on credit does not jack up (and keep up) the prices of the legit items for the people that choose to make their purchases the legal way.

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to

Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and discoveries

A1S8

We may see a greater crack down on these activities. (and yes, the Federal govt. has shut many of these sites down, but they just keep popping back up)

I was talking about the douchey nature of these activities, not the illegal nature.

FYP

A1S8

I was talking about the douchey nature of these activities, not the illegal nature.

Got ya.

Believe me, I'm the 1st to call something douchey, but I can't see how leasing is (unless somebody is living beyond their means to do so.)

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Wow, nice quality. 6 years? I'd say you made a great purchase here. I wouldn't know that was a fake, and neither would most people.

Except that everything about it screams "fake." The jersey mesh, bubbly numbers, shoddy sleeve logo and super-tight neck.

I'm going to disagree here - maybe to a neurotic blowhard like you it would look fake, but I would be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 people (if not more!) people on the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Oh, and they probably wouldn't care either, if they found out. Because balanced people aren't obsessed with pointing out who of the random people they see in public are wearing "fakes" and who aren't.

Everything you said is true. But of course, it's impossible in this thread to have an actual conversation because if you post anything that isn't bashing buying fake jerseys, then you can expect a response: "You support IP theft. It's illegal!!!!"

Why even start a thread if you're going to shoot down what everyone else says with the same argument every time?

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Everything you said is true. But of course, it's impossible in this thread to have an actual conversation because if you post anything that isn't bashing buying fake jerseys, then you can expect a response: "You support IP theft. It's illegal!!!!"

Why even start a thread if you're going to shoot down what everyone else says with the same argument every time?

Dude, this is a graphic design orientated community, do you really think that here of all places people would support IP theft? Haven't you noticed that each time links are provided to the illegal sites they are either mod-edited or graveyarded?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

As Charger stated, this is a Graphic Design orientated board for sports logos... The majority of the posters here are "neurotic blowhards" who can pick out a fake from the real thing instantly. We spend our time obsessing over logos sports uniforms and every detail associated with them yet are unbalanced for pointing out how ridiculous and tacky fakes are.

Congratulations on supporting: IP theft, unsafe working conditions, a non living wage and the loss of American jobs. Nice example you're setting for your students.

Ever shopped at a mall or a big box store? If so, you have without doubt supported at least three of the four things that you mentioned above.

Ever shopped at a mall or a big box store? If so, you have without doubt supported at least three of the four things that you mentioned above.

Shopping at a big box store is not an illegal activity.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Shopping at a big box store is not an illegal activity.

Then you basically just threw your bolded arguments away. If they're only bad because it's illegal, then being illegal is your only justification against counterfeits.

This is partially because the OP itself is kind of a loaded question type. It's hard to argue "in favour" of fakes because from the outset we see all the (legit) arguments against them. It would only stand to reason that those sentiments would return to the surface each time there is support for the production of counterfeits.

The only real problem is that this thread manifests itself as basically a pile-on thread, with little real ability to play the role of devil's advocate without being rebuffed with the same arguments time and time again. Hell, the subtitle of this thread basically sets the tone before anyone even opens this thread up.

spacer.png

I know the objections, and I agree with a lot of the points. But IMO the quality of fan jerseys have plummeted over the years and the price has done nothing but go up.

...and this infringes on your constitutional right to own a Packers jersey?

When did I ever say that?

Isn't that the argument? You're essentially saying that you were forced to buy a fake because the quality has gone down and the price has gone up on the real thing. However, a jersey is not a necessity. You don't need any sports jersey. If you want to show your support for the team, you can buy a hat or a t-shirt.

On the contrary. I purchase retail authentics or team issued jerseys for the most part, but have opted for NFL replicas when authentics were unavailable rather than buying a fake. To me, a fake looks like garbage, I know it's fake, and I don't believe in supporting that market. Money really isn't an issue for me, so I don't mind making a stand on principle.

At the AFCCG last Sunday, I'd estimate about 95% of the Ravens jerseys and at least 60% of the Pats jerseys were fakes and looked like absolute garbage. Some people legitimately don't care. I guess they're the same people who buy the Colosseum college jerseys because the numbers are sewn on.

If I'm going to get my wife a purse, I'll go to the department store and get the real thing. If I want to see Death Blow, I'll buy the DVD and not a choppy copy from Brody on the street.

spikes.jpg

If I want to see Death Blow, I'll buy the DVD and not a choppy copy from Brody on the street.

Now you're making meaningless comparisons. You're comparing something whose bad quality directly worsens your enjoyment (a poor quality bootleg DVD) and something whose debatable bad quality doesn't negatively impact your enjoyment (a fake jersey). Based on the responses on this board, it seems like the fake jersey wearers are perfectly happy with their products, and the only people annoyed by it are the people who don't wear fakes - which is basically the exact opposite of the bootleg DVD example.

Nevertheless, I'll try to entertain your comparison.

I've bought bootleg DVD's before, and their quality sucked. So because of that, I'll probably never buy a bootleg DVD again. Many of the fake jerseys posted here seem fine. If I bought some fake jerseys and they fell apart within a month, I would acknowledge their quality sucked... but that hasn't happened to me. I don't have anything against people who buy fake jerseys. If I DO want to become some sort of self-righteous nosy busybody out to fight "crime," it's going to be against something that is a bigger deal and more serious than Chinese NFL jerseys.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

If I want to see Death Blow, I'll buy the DVD and not a choppy copy from Brody on the street.

Now you're making meaningless comparisons. You're comparing something whose bad quality directly worsens your enjoyment (a poor quality bootleg DVD) and something whose debatable bad quality doesn't negatively impact your enjoyment (a fake jersey). Based on the responses on this board, it seems like the fake jersey wearers are perfectly happy with their products, and the only people annoyed by it are the people who don't wear fakes - which is basically the exact opposite of the bootleg DVD example.

Nevertheless, I'll try to entertain your comparison.

I've bought bootleg DVD's before, and their quality sucked. So because of that, I'll probably never buy a bootleg DVD again. Many of the fake jerseys posted here seem fine. If I bought some fake jerseys and they fell apart within a month, I would acknowledge their quality sucked... but that hasn't happened to me. I don't have anything against people who buy fake jerseys. If I DO want to become some sort of self-righteous nosy busybody out to fight "crime," it's going to be against something that is a bigger deal and more serious than Chinese NFL jerseys.

So you're saying that IP theft is OK?

...Just kidding. I agree with everything you said. +1