NHL Stadium Series Jerseys

Anubis2051

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is the Blackhawks are named after a military unit named after a person. The name has very little to do with the colour black.

I don't mind if they have a black alternate uniform but that red jersey is good enough that they don't really need one. If they were to replace the red jersey with a black one full time, the name would sort of lose its meaning. They're not the Black Hawks. At least, not anymore anyway.

Yeah that's a likely story. Next thing you're going to say is that the Browns aren't named after a color...

It's literally in the second paragraph of their Wikipedia entry...

You do realize that Wikipedia is not the best source of information because any moron can edit it, correct? So just because it's on Wikipedia, does not make it true. But, even if they were named after a military unit or person, whatever that story is, it has black in the name, and therefore logically, they should have a black jersey.

you do realize that wikipedia was true in this case, the owner was a commander in the 86th Infantry division (the blackhawk division) and that division was named after the Sauk indian Blackhawk who was also prominent around illinois

I don't care one way or the other about Wikipedia, the Blackhawks should have a black jersey.

The names and numbers on the whites are black. Their shorts are black. Their dark helmets are black. That should address any black requirements. The alternating black and red (and alternating black and white within the red sweaters/socks) looks terrific. They're fine.

I love the Jets' whites, too. They should be wearing white at home as the one team you can say is traditionally associated with the color white first and foremost. I mean, that's how I think of Winnipeg. Certainly not as "polar aviator midnight blue" or whatever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The red stripes get kind of lost on a black field, too, to say nothing of the Indian Head's hair. The pants striping goes white-red-white for a reason.

I like that both Chicago Stadium/United Center tenants have the same color scheme, just with slightly different applications: black numbers on white and white on red for the Hawks, red on white and black on red for the Bulls.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The red stripes get kind of lost on a black field, too, to say nothing of the Indian Head's hair. The pants striping goes white-red-white for a reason.

I like that both Chicago Stadium/United Center tenants have the same color scheme, just with slightly different applications: black numbers on white and white on red for the Hawks, red on white and black on red for the Bulls.

Yeah, I've long thought about that, too. I considered it when I was in grade school, drafting black alternates for each team circa 1995. I ended up getting the color balance wrong on both teams' eventual black alts. Also, the Indian head was yellow, because I only had the basic pack of Crayola markers.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Thing is the Blackhawks are named after a military unit named after a person. The name has very little to do with the colour black.

I don't mind if they have a black alternate uniform but that red jersey is good enough that they don't really need one. If they were to replace the red jersey with a black one full time, the name would sort of lose its meaning. They're not the Black Hawks. At least, not anymore anyway.

Yeah that's a likely story. Next thing you're going to say is that the Browns aren't named after a color...

You do realize that Wikipedia is not the best source of information because any moron can edit it, correct? So just because it's on Wikipedia, does not make it true. But, even if they were named after a military unit or person, whatever that story is, it has black in the name, and therefore logically, they should have a black jersey.

I read on the internet a couple times that people have messed around with wikipedia entries therefore its 100k+ entries are 100% unreliable and should not be trusted despite the editors making constant corrections and the copius amount of footnotes that accompany each entry.

you do realize that wikipedia was true in this case, the owner was a commander in the 86th Infantry division (the blackhawk division) and that division was named after the Sauk indian Blackhawk who was also prominent around illinois

I don't care one way or the other about Wikipedia, the Blackhawks should have a black jersey.

Aren't you the guy who yells at people for not getting tradition when they question why the Kings still use purple despite it being no where to found on their primary uniforms or their logo set? Yet when it comes to another team's tradition it's just "they should wear black and that's that."

I wouldn't call the red Blackhawks sweater the "best in sports" or even the best in the NHL, but it's definitely in the NHL's top three. Any alternate would take time away from it, and that should be avoided. Like the Canadiens the 'Hawks only need a home and road sweater.

Yeah, I've long thought about that, too. I considered it when I was in grade school, drafting black alternates for each team circa 1995. I ended up getting the color balance wrong on both teams' eventual black alts. Also, the Indian head was yellow, because I only had the basic pack of Crayola markers.

I liked the old black jerseys from 1996-99 that had a tan outline around the Hawks crest. You can see the dude's hair a lot better than when they dropped the outline.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I wouldn't call the red Blackhawks sweater the "best in sports" or even the best in the NHL, but it's definitely in the NHL's top three. Any alternate would take time away from it, and that should be avoided. Like the Canadiens the 'Hawks only need a home and road sweater.

Exactly.

Even if the red jersey wasn't in the top 5 of the league, its not like the blacks are remarkable. It's just an uninspired recolour cashing in on the black obsession of the 90's. The jersey is so unremarkable that before this thread I had completely forgotten it was even used in the post edge era. Looking at it now, it reminds me of when Starter used to make Black fashion jerseys of every team.

3gs8.jpg

I wonder if the Hawks' black jerseys would be more popular if they were based on the red template instead of the white. It would match the pants stripe and just be livelier.

Maybe something like this concept. (Not mine.)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pv305ELQYG0/UG-SKYnOV8I/AAAAAAAAAsc/2uNucuWHgnE/s1600/Chicago+Blackhawks+Alternate+Jersey+Concept+tyler+g..png

I used to be one who thought the hawks whites were the best uniform in sports. The duck tails have hurt them badly. Mostly however I'm blown away that people here seem to consider blackhawks reds so mandatory at home that theyre as much a part of the experience as Yankees pinstripes.

Recent success has people thinking the Hawks are some legendary franchise like the habs or crimson tide or Celtics. The hawks are not above alternate sweaters. I'm baffled at the hawk worship today.

I used to be one who thought the hawks whites were the best uniform in sports. The duck tails have hurt them badly. Mostly however I'm blown away that people here seem to consider blackhawks reds so mandatory at home that theyre as much a part of the experience as Yankees pinstripes.

Recent success has people thinking the Hawks are some legendary franchise like the habs or crimson tide or Celtics. The hawks are not above alternate sweaters. I'm baffled at the hawk worship today.

I think it's because of what the jersey represents now. It's always been beautiful but was worn by a garbage team. Now it's a beautiful jersey worn by a champion, one that's exceedingly well-run and popular.

There used to be a stigma around the team. Not now.

Archived