NHL Stadium Series Jerseys

Anubis2051

There'd better not be an ugly contrasting nameplate on the Kings' version. That has never, ever, ever looked good and will never look good.

Flyers' white nameplate on orange. Then and only then.

Agree 100%. I think why I like that one and only that one is because the letters are a third color (black in the Flyers' case).

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and the back takes this down from a 5.5 to a 2.5. Still better than the 3d but that's not saying much at all. I still think the lack of orange around the logo, on the captain's letter and on the hem stripe was a mistake and the white shoulder yoke hasn't grown on me. I also think they should have put the regular logo on both shoulders and the stadium series patch on the front of the jersey.

Yeah the nameplate and the ridiculous yoke really makes these things fugly. Way too busy and just looks like they said "were gonna take a little bit of this...then a little bit of that...little bit of Flyers name plate action over hereee...and tadaaaaa!!!!". Islanders you suck at most things in life including designing third jerseys; just stop!!!

Contrasting nameplates shouldn't bother you guys as much as they do.

I like this Islanders sweater. For all its minor flaws it's still a decent looking jersey that manages to not look overdone considering the "futuristic" context.

Midway.png

I assume the contrasting nameplates are intended for increased visibility for stadium audiences. Not that a regular one couldn't do the job as well but I can see the thought process behind this since it does isolate the players' names as a prominent design feature.

It's also not a novel concept, and considering the progressive thinking behind the Stadium Series uniforms, I'm surprised anyone else is surprised to see contrasting nameplates appear. I'll go out on a limb to say that while I can understand why some people would find them to be extraneous, the majority of opinions expressed have been comprised mostly of exaggeration.

Midway.png

I'm not waging a war here. But I'd love for someone to take me up on arguing the apparent monstrosities that are contrasting nameplates, especially in comparison to other more considerable offenses like BFBS, Bettman piping, missing hemline stripes, etc.

I think for the sake of a futuristic design, they're pretty damn tolerable.

Midway.png

Here's why I'm not going to stop being bothered by contrasting nameplates -

1. it looks worse than having the nameplate match the jerseys color. Simple as that.

2. It was originally done for cost-cutting reasons so any team that does is essentially saying, "we want to look like a lazy, cheap operation that really just doesn't care".

3. Not emblematic of professional teams. It's something that happens on bush league and beer league teams for cost saving reasons. It should be nowhere near an NHL sweater.

4. One team did it in the 70's out of sheer penny pinching cheapness so they didn't have to make another set of nameplates for the few games they were on national TV (where NHL rules required names). Said team then brought it back for their new old uniforms and (incorrectly) put different contrasting nameplates on both of their jerseys. So if it's a throwback to a bygone era it wasn't that widespread a practice in that era. The contrasting nameplate is basically a revisionist's history of how nameplates used to work on hockey jerseys.

5. Visibility? VISIBILITY?!?! How is a box that's a different color with white lettering any more visible than simply white letters? If anything, the name is now less visible.

as for those other things you mentioned - they're bad too, but that doesn't mean that contrasting nameplates won't stop bothering me. They're far from futuristic also. It's like saying "well I kicked you in the shins, but that wasn't as bad as when I kicked you in the balls". How about no more kicking across the board? (kicking in this case = bad design ideas)

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't live in a vacuum, but if I did I still think they'd bother me because they look worse than the alternative.

All things have to be considered when dissecting a uniform and all things considered contrasting nameplates are stupid.

PvO6ZWJ.png

any team that does is essentially saying, "we want to look like a lazy, cheap operation that really just doesn't care".

AND THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF THE FLYERS DOING IT. I mean, they're far from lazy or cheap, but projecting that sort of lack of regard just works.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2. It was originally done for cost-cutting reasons so any team that does is essentially saying, "we want to look like a lazy, cheap operation that really just doesn't care".

3. Not emblematic of professional teams.

You could make a very strong argument then that this describes the state of the Islanders perfectly. Maybe they were destined for contrasting nameplates.

Contrasting nameplate and Reebok wordmark yoke cutout on the back. I've gone from ambivalence about these and crossed into dislike.

JT_Jersey_Gallery_05_500x325_slide.jpg

Hm, well that's an entirely different animal.

The yoke isn't really a yoke as much as they are shoulder caps.

And contrasting nameplates.... ugh. I'm in agreement with the admiral that the Flyers are the ONLY team that should ever get to do this. They were the first ones (out of lazy necessity) and it sort of became their own little quirky thing. It worked for the Flyers. Anyone after that is just copying that Flyers aesthetic, not because it looks good but just because it is a thing they can do. (Like it was on the Sabres last alt, where it was looking for anything to be called a "throwback" aesthetic and did that just because, not because it looked good.)

And I've always liked bigger numbers, so that's good.

Overall, it's still not terrible, but it's not great either. The shoulder caps and contrasting nameplate bring it down a little. But if there was a little orange trim around the caps and the nameplate was blue, it'd be pretty good. It's fine. They'll wear it the one time, maybe once or twice at home for the fans, and then we'll be done with it.

It's fine. I like it well enough.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

The cut off yoke bothers me, and the chrome logo is just stupid. Very stupid. The contrasting name plates are dumb, but whatever. If the chrome effect was removed and the yokes were fixed I'd like these.

That being said, I'm withholding judgment until I see the rest of the Stadium Series uniforms. If this is just a template they're all going to share then my like for these is going to diminish greatly.

If this is just a template they're all going to share then my like for these is going to diminish greatly.

The more I look at this jersey, the more I wonder if the other teams actually will use an identical design. If anything the base template will likely be the same but I imagine the striping design at the very least will be different from team to team. The stripes here are very Islanders-ish, and I don't see the Rangers going with an inverted version of this.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Getting rid of the rest of the crest really makes the stick...um, stick out as being rather poorly drawn. I can't get behind this as a logo for regular use with such a goofy-looking stick blade.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Contrasting nameplates shouldn't bother you guys as much as they do.

Nothing about uniforms should bother us as much as they do....yet here we are.

You just perfectly summed up this board. I have no idea why I care about any of this yet I am here every day. Well said!

Archived