Why has the new Nike template completely taken over hockey concepts?

hockey week

It seems that every new hockey concept, with a few exceptions, has used the new Nike hockey template being used in these Olympics, even when the concepts are for non-Olympic, and non-Nike teams. I'm wondering, why? The pattern is awful, with the fake laceups, giant shoulders, weird under-arm panels that don't let sleeves stripes connect the whole way around...why has it caught on around here so much?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I have only used them for my Olympic concepts but nothing else. I used the standad Swift template with the real laces and variour collars... If Nike does take over the contract, I don't believe that they will use the faux laces as I think many teams will not want them. (And hopefully they will put up a stink like Sweden did)... either that or come up with something completely new

I'm just using it on my WHA series because I want to differentiate from the NHL's Reebok edge system. I do think how ever that nike fake laces and all will be the next jersey supplier to the NHL..they took over MLS and NFL already it's only a matter of time. They adapted to the edge when it came out I can see teams doing the same for nike

patcopy_zpsd7294359.jpg

2-7-11-14-16-18-SHK III-NRK

...why has it caught on around here so much?

I guess, hockey week, the answer is that, it's a little trendy.

However, it's a trend that, as a hockey guy, I'm not liking.

Forget the ridiculous fake laces (do real laces or don't bother), and shiny appliques (spit).

It's the cut that bugs me.

Nike and Reebok have both been guilty recently of trying to make a hockey sweater more 'football-like'.

They've created sweaters that are tight-looking and 'molded' around the shoulders, with the side numbers way up there. (like a football jersey)

New-Russia-Hockey-Jerseys-1.jpg

To me, the above sweater looks 'pinched' in the chest and shoulder area.

Hockey's not football.

Sweaters can be loose.

I like a little 'flow' happening in the sweater, when a player's in full flight. (Mike Modano)

Shoulders should be wide and loose. (Believe me, ya gotta have something to grab when you're in a scrap).

However, things go in cycles.

I predict that the next 'new' cut in hockey sweaters will feature big 'drop' shoulders, and a looser fit.

I hope.

EDIT: I just wanted to emphasize that this isn't a knock against the work that's being done using the template.

kiwi, JR, BBBDDD and others have got nice series going on with the Nike template.

Not the least bit offended. I work with what I have... and what I have is what Nike has put out. For me when doing concepts, I want them to be what I want to see on the ice using what ever manufacturer is making the jerseys. So if it's current NHL, it's going to be Reebok, current IIHF/ Olympics, Nike will be used. That's the ONLY reason I use these current templates, because that's what is on the ice right now. I think the previous Swift template allowed a little more play in the sense of design and I think they were a bit looser than the new ones, but I do agree with what you are saying that Nike is trying to make them football-ish.

Not the least bit offended. I work with what I have... and what I have is what Nike has put out. For me when doing concepts, I want them to be what I want to see on the ice using what ever manufacturer is making the jerseys. So if it's current NHL, it's going to be Reebok, current IIHF/ Olympics, Nike will be used. That's the ONLY reason I use these current templates, because that's what is on the ice right now. I think the previous Swift template allowed a little more play in the sense of design and I think they were a bit looser than the new ones, but I do agree with what you are saying that Nike is trying to make them football-ish.

Well said, and you're absolutely right kiwi.

You use what's current and, more importantly, you use what's relevant.

If a client was paying me for a concept and wanted the Nike look...

I'd use the template in a heartbeat, regardless of whether I liked it or not.

Again, you're bang-on kiwi.

So, it's new and trendy.

I didn't want to knock any work, which is why I made is a separate thread. I feel it jarring to see NHL throwbacks in this very new template, and really, in some cases, i think that template restricted creativity, with the weird, thin sleeves and such. In all honesty, it seems like a crappy template to do creative things on, it feels...limiting. I'm not a fan, is what I'm saying. And Sparky, I think your explanation is exactly why I'm not a fan. That's bang on.

I figured if I said something, maybe there would be people who decided against using it. Why not make something new? Or at the very least, draw real laces on these Nike things. That would be a good start.

And actually, I'm glad you posted BBBDDD, because, in my own traditionalist mind, your series was quite jarring, those classic logos, this speedy template...but like my signature says, you have a good reason...actually it's a very good reason, quite realistic...I'm going to have to go back over to that thread with a more open mind.

So again, not knocking any work, just wondering, and I think you've all answered it rather well.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived