State Flag Concepts (PA, NJ, VI Added, Project Complete!)

BigRed618

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some updates on a couple of states...

NEVADA

v89s.png

Made the backgound grey, making the silver reference more obvious...

MISSOURI

0h6h.png

I couldn't find a way to draw the crescent without getting complaints about it looking too "Muslim," so I got rid of it altogether, and made the grizzly the main focus of the design.

Feedback is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

MISSISSIPPI

Current Flag

7aja.gif

Concept Flag

k1jz.png

Mississippi, the last state in the Union to fly Confederate colors, is arguably the state who needs a new flag the most. The first thing I did was remove the canton. Next I added a magnolia tree, an important state symbol. There are 20 stars surrounding the tree, as Mississippi was the 20th state to join.

I definitely like the design of the Mississippi flag. However, it's pretty hard to do a magnolia tree on a flag, and the magnolia tree came from the old state flag that was in use from 1861 until 1894 when the current state flag was designed. Here is the 1861 flag:

us-ms-61.gif

Some people in Mississippi are advocating returning to this flag, yet some civil rights activists are against this flag because it was used when Mississippi seceded from the Union and the Bonnie Blue Flag that is in the canton still reminds some people of the Confederacy like the current state flag does.

So I am wondering what your design would be like, if instead of the Magnolia tree inside the green circle or oval:

1. Use the state's military crest, a magnolia blossom with a trident in front of it. The trident represents Mississippi's meaning of "Father of Waters" (Mississippi coming from the Ojibwe words misi-ziibi ("Great River").

us)msmil.gif

2. Using the state coat of arms, plus adding "1817" under the shield, indicating the year it was admitted to the Union.

Mississippi_Coat_of_Arms.jpg

I think the one with the military crest would be better than the one with the coat of arms.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

• 3 weeks later...

MISSISSIPPI

Current Flag

7aja.gif

Concept Flag

k1jz.png

Mississippi, the last state in the Union to fly Confederate colors, is arguably the state who needs a new flag the most. The first thing I did was remove the canton. Next I added a magnolia tree, an important state symbol. There are 20 stars surrounding the tree, as Mississippi was the 20th state to join.

I definitely like the design of the Mississippi flag. However, it's pretty hard to do a magnolia tree on a flag, and the magnolia tree came from the old state flag that was in use from 1861 until 1894 when the current state flag was designed. Here is the 1861 flag:

us-ms-61.gif

Some people in Mississippi are advocating returning to this flag, yet some civil rights activists are against this flag because it was used when Mississippi seceded from the Union and the Bonnie Blue Flag that is in the canton still reminds some people of the Confederacy like the current state flag does.

So I am wondering what your design would be like, if instead of the Magnolia tree inside the green circle or oval:

1. Use the state's military crest, a magnolia blossom with a trident in front of it. The trident represents Mississippi's meaning of "Father of Waters" (Mississippi coming from the Ojibwe words misi-ziibi ("Great River").

us)msmil.gif

2. Using the state coat of arms, plus adding "1817" under the shield, indicating the year it was admitted to the Union.

Mississippi_Coat_of_Arms.jpg

I think the one with the military crest would be better than the one with the coat of arms.

I cant believe I'm just seeing this thread....Awesome! MS definitely needs to revise our current flag. We're missing out on a lot of national venues in which MS (the Hospitality State) is not allowed to play host. I did these, not too long ago:

26ee9f7c0618fa1f885a27d9cfc2d271.jpg4a11bc1ea941468b83ce2bc186a55158.jpg

**sorry for the huge images**

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I dug the Jersey one because it kind of looked like a highway. Which seemed fitting. </jerseynativehere>

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived