• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should get at least five games for doing his best Metta World Peace impersonation for what happened. Of course, I'm emphasizing should as I expect the suspension to be shorter than that.

Oh, and I still of the opinion that Wichita State is STILL not a bonafide #1 seed(or a #2 seed for that matter), If you're confused as to what I'm saying, please read the timeline on my Twitter account at this link:

https://twitter.com/HowardSalwasser/

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Turns out the same fan who Smart shoved has a history of taunting opposing players, including an Aggy player a couple years ago. That guy should be banned from Tech home games, IMO. Still doesn't justify Smart's reaction, though.

He (Smart) use cracking under the pressure of being the star on an underperforming team. Travis Ford, who isn't really seen as a strong coach to begin with, has no control there at all.

What an idiot Marcus Smart is, shoving a fan which will seal Tech's win over OK State.

What an idiot that fan was for getting in his face. This idea that whatever fans do is beyond reproach is, at best, ridiculously naive.... especially in an era where fans regularly do things like google personal information about players and taunt them with it. If a fan wouldn't say something to a guy on the street, he shouldn't say it to him at a game.

He should get at least five games for doing his best Metta World Peace impersonation for what happened. Of course, I'm emphasizing should as I expect the suspension to be shorter than that.

Oh, and I still of the opinion that Wichita State is STILL not a bonafide #1 seed(or a #2 seed for that matter), If you're confused as to what I'm saying, please read the timeline on my Twitter account at this link:

https://twitter.com/HowardSalwasser/

They are better than last year's team and perfection still means something. One cannot seed them as the 9th-12th best team in the nation when they went to the Final Four last seasons and had a double digit, 2nd half lead against the eventual champs.

Creighton loss to PC looks worse as the Friars rpi falls below 50.

What an idiot Marcus Smart is, shoving a fan which will seal Tech's win over OK State.

What an idiot that fan was for getting in his face. This idea that whatever fans do is beyond reproach is, at best, ridiculously naive.... especially in an era where fans regularly do

things like google personal information about players and taunt them with it. If a fan wouldn't say something to a guy on the street, he shouldn't say it to him at a game.

The fan didn't exactly get in his face. Smart got helped up and walked over and shoved the fan. If what the fan said was pretty bad then he needs to be disciplined as well as Smart will be. The thing is that we don't know what was said and all we know for sure is that Smart shoved the guy.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

What an idiot that fan was for getting in his face. This idea that whatever fans do is beyond reproach is, at best, ridiculously naive.... especially in an era where fans regularly do things like google personal information about players and taunt them with it. If a fan wouldn't say something to a guy on the street, he shouldn't say it to him at a game.

"Reproach" does not have to take the form of physical violence. Fair or not, Smart has to control himself just like every other athlete who gets heckled.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Smart apparently told the ref that the fan called him the n-word twice. And there's video of the same fan making obscene gestures at a Texas A&M player. It was definitely a stupid move to actually shove the guy and he'll get suspended, but I don't think Smart is a bad person or anything. He just got caught up in the moment when a guy was throwing racial slurs at him knowing that Smart can't do anything back without getting in trouble.

And for the record, I'm okay with fellow college students looking for embarrassing things on an opponent's Facebook or Twitter page and bringing it up during the game. Granted, most of those things end up sounding pretty lame, but it can get in a guys head sometimes.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'd like to thank the Big Least for depriving us of some excellent Wichita State-Creighton games this season <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, okay. Let's start with the first one in this gem...the fan got in Smart's face? The fan that may have said something but was backing away? That guy?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, okay. Let's start with the first one in this gem...the fan got in Smart's face? The fan that may have said something but was backing away? That guy?

How did I just know YOU were going to have something to say about my comment? :rolleyes:

Marcus Smart doesn't have a history of doing things like this, the "grown" middle-aged fan does... a history of shouting obscenities at kids half his age. I think the kid can be given the benefit of the doubt here.

How did I just know YOU were going to have something to say about my comment? :rolleyes:

Marcus Smart doesn't have a history of doing things like this, the "grown" middle-aged fan does... a history of shouting obscenities at kids half his age. I think the kid can be given the benefit of the doubt here.

A simple ":censored: you" back to the fan would have worked just as well. I'd bet the fan is not the first person to yell something racist at him during a game (because there are more than enough d-bags that attend basketball games). Being the aggressor and then shoving him is not worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt.

There's really no good reason to go into the stands and start shoving fans. You can't start fights with everyone that says something mean at a basketball game.

A simple ":censored: you" back to the fan would have worked just as well. I'd bet the fan is not the first person to yell something racist at him during a game (because there are more than enough d-bags that attend basketball games). Being the aggressor and then shoving him is not worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt.

There's really no good reason to go into the stands and start shoving fans. You can't start fights with everyone that says something mean at a basketball game.

Yup, the big black brute just needs to know his role and stay in his place! <sarcasm>

Regardless of whether or not someone thinks Marcus Smart was in the wrong, the fact that so many are willing to give the 50-year old man child a free pass says a lot about what's wrong with sports fandom (and society in general) these days. Guys like him... way more so than guys like Marcus Smart... are why I don't even watch sports a fraction as often as I used to. Maybe if there were more Marcus Smart's, guys like him would actually have to think twice about the crap that comes out of their mouths, and sporting evens wouldn't have to be such a breeding ground for knuckle-dragging douchebags.

Yup, the big black brute just needs to know his role and stay in his place! <sarcasm>

Regardless of whether or not someone thinks Marcus Smart was in the wrong, the fact that so many are willing to give the 50-year old man child a free pass says a lot about what's wrong with sports fandom (and society in general) these days. Guys like him... way more so than guys like Marcus Smart... are why I don't even watch sports a fraction as often as I used to. Maybe if there were more Marcus Smart's, guys like him would actually have to think twice about the crap that comes out of their mouths, and sporting evens wouldn't have to be such a breeding ground for knuckle-dragging douchebags.

Because when I go to a game, I should be terrified that the players will come attack me if I say something in jest.

And yep, I definitely said the big black brute just needs to know his role. Geezus man. All I said was he shouldn't go into the stands and shove people because a simple verbal retort would have been just as good. I'd say the same thing about a white guy. :censored: dude. I'll say it right here: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT RACE YOU ARE, DON'T SHOVE THE FANS.

Let me go buy you another "jump to racist conclusions mat" for your apartment, because you've apparently worn out the ones you already have.

illwauk, you like playing the part of the troll, don't you? Just admit it.

Yes, because that's exactly what people are saying. :rolleyes:

I also fail to see how Orr is getting a free pass. I think most agree that he's a complete douchebag who should be banned from attending games. But just like fans don't have the right to spew offensive :censored: at athletes, athletes don't have the right to go into the stands and start fighting with the fans. Both Orr and Smart are in the wrong here, period.

By the way, the heckling isn't going to just go away in the NBA. Smart needs to learn to keep his cool now if he wants to have a successful career in the pros.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived