Washington Redskins Rebrand

8BW14

I think, at this point, the end of the professional football team in Washington D.C. being officially known as the Redskins is inevitable, so I decided to come up with a concept of what I would like to see when the time comes for a name change. I know Warriors has been a popular option so I took that and ran with it. I know the Redskins have very strong visual identity, so I wanted to keep the burgundy and gold, but went with the shades from the spear helmet throwbacks. So here they are:

The Washington Warriors

washingtonhelmetside_zps2cd4453b.png

I wanted to keep the basic elements of the helmet and logo the same, so as you can see, the Native American has been replaced with another type of warrior, an American soldier.

Alternate Logo

washingtonshield_zps405adf7c.png

This shield is based on the shoulder patch used by the 2nd Infantry Division of the U.S. Army, which is known as Indianhead and as the Warrior Division. The 2nd has fought in major battles of every major American conflict since WWI,and I thought the use of the shield would be a nice aknowlegement of the team's past, as well as a nod to the U.S. Army in America's capital.

Lastly, the uniforms and wordmark

WashingtonWarriorshomeuniform_zps86318bf

WashingtonWarriorsawayuniforms_zps0f3bdb

washingtonscriptamplogo_zpsd259308d.png

So what does everybody think? Any c&c or other comments are always appreciated, thanks.

No offense, but the tribute to the 2nd ID isn't really effective for an NFL uniform. It looks more like an advertisement to join the military. If you're going to do a military-warrior theme (which is tricky)...why not have tributes to all of the divisions of the Army, or all branches of the military? The Army isn't the only branch in D.C.

The logo is a little cartoonish and not really doing it for me either.

Good effort, but not really NFL-level.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No offense, but the tribute to the 2nd ID isn't really effective for an NFL uniform. It looks more like an advertisement to join the military. If you're going to do a military-warrior theme (which is tricky)...why not have tributes to all of the divisions of the Army, or all branches of the military? The Army isn't the only branch in D.C.

The logo is a little cartoonish and not really doing it for me either.

Good effort, but not really NFL-level.

I can see where you are coming from as far as the, maybe the "warrior division" thing was a bit of a stretch. I will ditch that patch and come up with something else.

What about the logo makes it seem "cartoonish", because I really don't see it? Is it too detailed, not detailed enough? I tried really hard to keep it along the same lines as Washington's current logo, but cleaner and more modern. I would really like to know specifically so I can make it as good as it can be. Thanks

Also, thanks to everybody for taking a look at this and letting me know what you think.

Isn't the point of the rebrand to steer away from Native American imagery? I like the logos and all, but I wouldn't have a soldier and Native American head logo. Just doesn't really make sense. I get where you're coming from and I like the logos though.

spacer.png

Isn't the point of the rebrand to steer away from Native American imagery? I like the logos and all, but I wouldn't have a soldier and Native American head logo. Just doesn't really make sense. I get where you're coming from and I like the logos though.

It's not that the Native American fussers are complaining about Native American imagery at all, they're more so complaining about the word 'Redskin', which was an offensive slang word for a Native American. It doesn't have anything to do with the logo, at least for the Redskins. People seem to fuss about the Cleveland Indians logo a lot too.

There are a few people that complain that a Native American isn't a football team name, but a person. But that's not really the mainstream argument. Either argument I find... pointless.

This takes the "offensive" part out, but still honors the Native American. I think the only problem with this look is the logo. It just looks really generic and isn't really something I feel that people could bond with. The logo is just kinda plain, that's all.

It's not that the Native American fussers are complaining about Native American imagery at all, they're more so complaining about the word 'Redskin', which was an offensive slang word for a Native American. It doesn't have anything to do with the logo, at least for the Redskins. People seem to fuss about the Cleveland Indians logo a lot too.

There are a few people that complain that a Native American isn't a football team name, but a person. But that's not really the mainstream argument. Either argument I find... pointless.

This takes the "offensive" part out, but still honors the Native American. I think the only problem with this look is the logo. It just looks really generic and isn't really something I feel that people could bond with. The logo is just kinda plain, that's all.

If he's rebranding the team to remove a connection to Native Americans, there shouldn't be a logo of a Native American (even if it is showing respect to a Division in the Army) in a military themed rebrand.

spacer.png

The wussification of America. We can't use the term Christmas, we can't uses crosses on monuments to honor those that died to give us our freedom, we don't want to keep score in sports for our young kids because we don't want them to feel bad about losing, we can't use certain terminology because it has suddenly become very PC to be upset by it. Yes the term Redskin at points in history was used in a negative fashion to describe a race of people but not 100% of the time. Will Snyder ultimately cave in to the pressure being imposed by external forces, yes. It's just a shame to have this happen when the name in this sport is associated with honor and a proud tradition. I'm a die hard Saints fan, what's next? The church finding fault with the term Saint being used? The question that needs to be asked is where does it end? After the Redskins change there name who is next? Don't fool yourself, there will be a next.

I know this will create some form of response and it is not intended to generate any hostility. It is a rant from a very old man that has served his time in the military in service of his country, has witnessed the changes we as a people have gone through from the late '50's up until today and have agreed with the majority of them but have found myself completely frustrated with some.

No disrespect but as for your work I must admit the military component does not fit. To me it appears you were trying to shoehorn in the Warrior component. I don't know if Warrior will be the final verdict but if nothing else can see them going back to the old school spear on their helmet which would remain within the history of the franchise and could fit in with being a Warrior.

Okay guys, please don't turn this into a debate over the nickname, because there is a whole thread for that debate somewhere else on these forums.

I don't know if Warrior will be the final verdict but if nothing else can see them going back to the old school spear on their helmet which would remain within the history of the franchise and could fit in with being a Warrior.

Honestly, I would prefer something along those lines as well, but I dont think that is how it will end up. In the end i think the team will try to separate itself as far from anything Native American as it can, which is unfortunate because the team has such a long history of using an image of a Native american in a very respectful way, which happens to be paired with an unfortunate nickname. In retrospect I should have completely gotten away from the native american imagery all together with this concept.

Or maybe I should blow it all up and start all over?

Okay guys, please don't turn this into a debate over the nickname, because there is a whole thread for that debate somewhere else on these forums.

I don't know if Warrior will be the final verdict but if nothing else can see them going back to the old school spear on their helmet which would remain within the history of the franchise and could fit in with being a Warrior.

Honestly, I would prefer something along those lines as well, but I dont think that is how it will end up. In the end i think the team will try to separate itself as far from anything Native American as it can, which is unfortunate because the team has such a long history of using an image of a Native american in a very respectful way, which happens to be paired with an unfortunate nickname. In retrospect I should have completely gotten away from the native american imagery all together with this concept.

Or maybe I should blow it all up and start all over?

I'm not trying to start a political debate here. All I was saying is that you're clearly steering away from Native American imagery, so why not just make the whole concept based around the military. You should not start over, you have a great concept. Just work on the tweaks people have told you, but overall, it is your own concept. Do what you want!

spacer.png

No, I get what you are saying, I just didn't want this to devolve into a political debate like these topics tend to do is all. I am going to work on a new secondary logo, though, something like you and others have said, that turns away from the Native American theme, because it just doesn't fit.

To be fair, im not sure why we should be honoring Native Americans... Seeing as the "evil white man" kicked their butts... badly.

Back on topic: I would love to see you honor the Military/Army/Navy more as well. Go all out. DC should be a MERICA themed look, not a Native American look. Texas teams usually gets the buzz for being all America'fied in their uniforms, why not DC?

I'm surprised I haven't seen any Washington Diplomats/Senators/etc type concepts yet either.

Archived