Your town/state's most significant championship.

charger77

To make a long story short...

Last night I was having a discussion with some friends about what which championship was the biggest deal in Detroit/Michigan.

Most of my friends settled on the 97 & 98 Wings because of the wait and the limo accident. One friend suggested the '04 Pistons because it was such a pleasant surprise and they trounced the Lakers team that was bought & built to win it all.

My suggestion was the '68 Tigers as it gave the city something to rally around in light of the riots.

This could be a fun thread...

What is your town/state's most significant championship?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phila's hasn't happened yet. Should've in '02.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For us it would have to be the 1997 Broncos. I know the Avs won the first major championship for the city the year before, but they were a new team and not everyone had really gotten behind them as hockey had returned for the first time since before I was born.

This city/state loves the Broncos and they'll always be our #1 team. So to see Elway finally win that one was a huge deal for every fan here. This is a group of fans that stayed after Super Bowl XII was over and were chanting "We Love You Broncos" even though they'd lost. My mother was at that Super Bowl, and there's a reason the waiting list for season tickets here is a few decades long.

Definitely the most significant championship for the city of Louisville is the 2012-13 Cardinals Men's Basketball team. This team beat UK for the first time in 4 years, survived the Kevin Ware injury, and brought home their first championship since 1986. The closest chance for the football team to win a championship would've been 2006 if it wasn't for Rutgers. :angered:

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Well. Tech's closest came in 99, when we lost to FSU when I guy named Michael Vick stormed the nation and caught the nickname "Mr. Electric" and now acts as one of the grandfathers of these super-fast athletic running QB's. We were close again in 07, but we lost with a 10-0 with 2 mins left against then #2 BC. We would've gotten in if we hadn't lost to them. Whether we would've beaten Ohio St. is a different question. Richmond hasn't been close to any titles I've ever seen. The closest was probably VCU getting to the Final Four in 2011. (Or was it 2010? I can't remember.)

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Where I live now is Kelso, Washington (in the southwest area of the state). The last state title was 3 years ago in softball. The area is shared with Longview and their schools are a little more successful

The state itself... well, I always think of 1991, when the Huskies shared the national championship. Last time a Seattle team won anything as well.

Phoenix would be the 2001 World Series. Probably the only major championship the city has ever won.

Dan, if the Lions ever win the Super Bowl, imo would blow any Championship Detroit has ever known. But I would agree with '68, especially the events going around the city at the time.

Well, if HS counts then... my HS has won 2-3 state Lax titles in a row. And football isn't too bad either. They've already qualified for a home playoff game and are currently #1 in their region at 8-1.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

As odd as it is, this is Hamilton's.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Phoenix would be the 2001 World Series. Probably the only major championship the city has ever won.

Dan, if the Lions ever win the Super Bowl, imo would blow any Championship Detroit has ever known. But I would agree with '68, especially the events going around the city at the time.

We discussed that as well. I remember in the summer after the '02 Cup Finals Darren McCarty was asked about the self appointed Hockeytown nickname and his response was that Detroit was more of a football town and that a Lions Super Bowl victory would eclipse any of the Wings recent Cup victories.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

In Toronto for some reason the 93 World Series is always talked about more than the 92 World Series. I guess the Joe Carter home run was such an epic ending that it sticks in memory far more than any single moment in 92. Obviously if the Leafs win the Cup that would overshadow anything the Jays did but since that hasn't happened in so long the Jays titles are all the city has to hold on to.

1zqy8ok.gif

We discussed that as well. I remember in the summer after the '02 Cup Finals Darren McCarty was asked about the self appointed Hockeytown nickname and his response was that Detroit was more of a football town and that a Lions Super Bowl victory would eclipse any of the Wings recent Cup victories.

I also think the next time the Tigers win the World Series, it would also eclipse any of the Wings Cups. Shows how much of a Tigers/Lions town Detroit is.

I'd have to say the '87 Redskins Super Bowl win was the biggest one here, mostly because of the comeback and Doug Williams, but a case could be made for '91, as that was a outstanding team.

But to me, I love the '78 Bullets title because of how it stands out like a sore thumb. 44 win team with two aging stars in a league with Kareem, Erving, Walton, Gervin and David Thompson gets lucky with injuries and becomes the last NBA team to win a Finals Game 7 on the road.

In Toronto for some reason the 93 World Series is always talked about more than the 92 World Series. I guess the Joe Carter home run was such an epic ending that it sticks in memory far more than any single moment in 92. Obviously if the Leafs win the Cup that would overshadow anything the Jays did but since that hasn't happened in so long the Jays titles are all the city has to hold on to.

It is really too bad that the Argonauts get nowhere near the credit they deserve in Toronto. They ARE the defending champions of the league they are in. Just because it is not one of the Big Four should not relegate the accomplishments of the 16-time Grey Cup champions.

As for Sudbury, the closest that any semi-pro team has come to a championship here was the Wolves in 2007 in the OHL Championship series.

Third Division Championship, 1965-66. Silverware? We don't care.

Oh, the two rugby league clubs have won a few things but as no one bothers with that sport outside of the M62 corridor we won't worry about counting those.

The Packers winning Super Bowl XXXI. It ended a 29-year Super Bowl drought and proved that Green Bay could compete with teams from huge media markets in the free agency era.

Archived