Good uniform matchups that DO NOT feature Original 6 teams

habsfan1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Canadiens wrong to wear the same basic design the great Habs teams of the past wore? Are the Yankees wrong to continue to wear pinstripes? After all the current Yankees team is a different team from the 1961 squad.

No and no. The 1980s defined the Oilers and that's the look they should carry forward. Anything else just looks "off." Maybe I'd feel different if they had managed to win the Cup in 2006, but they didn't. They lost to the G-ddman Carolina Hurricanes. There's really nothing to the navy and copper set as a result. Some underwhelming playoff years and one disappointing run to the Finals surrounded by a lot of mediocre to bad hockey. Not something worth remembering.

In fairness, the Yankees and Habs are poor comparisons because their uniforms have stayed basically the same over the years. It'd be one thing if the Oilers never changed, but they changed to a superior look in the '90s. By switching back to the inferior previous set, the Oilers have hopped on the retro fad and are playing Gretzky-era dress-up at a time when the team is nowhere near that good.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Are the Canadiens wrong to wear the same basic design the great Habs teams of the past wore? Are the Yankees wrong to continue to wear pinstripes? After all the current Yankees team is a different team from the 1961 squad.

No and no. The 1980s defined the Oilers and that's the look they should carry forward. Anything else just looks "off." Maybe I'd feel different if they had managed to win the Cup in 2006, but they didn't. They lost to the G-ddman Carolina Hurricanes. There's really nothing to the navy and copper set as a result. Some underwhelming playoff years and one disappointing run to the Finals surrounded by a lot of mediocre to bad hockey. Not something worth remembering.

In fairness, the Yankees and Habs are poor comparisons because their uniforms have stayed basically the same over the years. It'd be one thing if the Oilers never changed, but they changed to a superior look in the '90s. By switching back to the inferior previous set, the Oilers have hopped on the retro fad and are playing Gretzky-era dress-up at a time when the team is nowhere near that good.

Whether or not the 90s Oilers set was aesthetically better then the Gretzky-era look is open to debate. It's not as clear cut as you want it to be.

Anyway the Oilers did change, but they really shouldn't have. Like, at all. When you field one of the greatest teams that ever played and that ingrains your team into the collective memory of hockey fandom you stick with your look. The return to the Gretzky-era look was simply correcting a mistake.

Also it's funny you call that return hopping onto a fad. The navy/copper/salmon set was a blatant attempt to jump on the fad of darkening primary colours that was all the rage in the 90s.

-0ab8ebf97d71ca59.jpg

lock thread, this is a winner. the islanders have such a bright vibrant and historic identity, as do the devils. if the Brooklyn group changes the isles identity with the move they are making the biggest mistake. The fans tore them a new :censored: when they wanted to change the logo, colors and possible name to be concise with the nets. he said the home/ away will remain but the thirds will be black and white and he will try and incorporate Brooklyn's "colors" into their identify...no, we don't need black. orange, royal, white is all we need.

Im glad im an isles fan too because it makes watching games not so drab and dull like some of these teams when theyre dull dark colors. for example I think I was watching the pens vs wild at Minnesota. what a dull game on tv. I personally think the islanders and oilers have the most vibrant color scheme in hockey, something about orange, royal, and white being GREAT complementary colors.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Whether or not the 90s Oilers set was aesthetically better then the Gretzky-era look is open to debate. It's not as clear cut as you want it to be.

Anyway the Oilers did change, but they really shouldn't have. Like, at all. When you field one of the greatest teams that ever played and that ingrains your team into the collective memory of hockey fandom you stick with your look. The return to the Gretzky-era look was simply correcting a mistake.

Also it's funny you call that return hopping onto a fad. The navy/copper/salmon set was a blatant attempt to jump on the fad of darkening primary colours that was all the rage in the 90s.

"playing Gretzky-era dress-up" is a silly thing to chide the Oilers for too. You're allowed to dress up like yourself. Also, the Oilers won a cup and played 7 years in the uniforms after Gretzky left. The look doesn't wholly belong to him.

I suppose the 49ers who similarly jumped on the 90's FAD of darkening all of their colors only to return to the 80's heydays uniforms are playing Montana-era dress-up, but who cares? That's the look when they were most successful and it became locked in as their uniform.

Both teams went back to their signature look, and although I'm not a fan of either look, I am a fan of that decision because history matters to me and I think history plays a huge part in how a team should dress themselves.

PvO6ZWJ.png

With all the praise the Stars have been getting about the new uniforms and with most of the haters already changing their minds, I wonder how long this look is going to stick for the club. Gagliardi says he wanted to change logos and uniforms the right way and then never do it again. Does anyone think this look will still be around in 20 or 30 years?

I can see the Texas logo moving to the shoulders at some point, and maybe the addition of some name/number outlines. Other then that though? I think this look has some real longevity to it.

I'd also like to see the shoulders go from square to the more traditional rounded style.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I can see the Texas logo moving to the shoulders at some point, and maybe the addition of some name/number outlines. Other then that though? I think this look has some real longevity to it.

The team already said they tried it on the shoulders, but it didn't look good. So they stuck in on the pants instead.

And me, I really don't get the fuss about this whole ordeal at all. At least the Texas logo is being used somewhere on the jersey. And at least it's somewhere it can be seen.

Archived