2014 MLB Offseason

Gary

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, well, umm, hi, Mr. Ellsbury. Welcome to the better side of the rivalry, I guess.

This surprised the hell out of me.

Not surprised at all. Oh well. Not really a place for him on the Red Sox anymore, especially at the price he Boras wanted. Sox learned their lesson on giving fat contracts to lead off hitters already...

I'm curious as to why you say Boras, not Ellsbury, wanted that much money. I don't know the logistics of Ellsbury's negotiations with the Red Sox (if there were any).

Because Boras, as his agent, as a lot of stroke. He hypes his players as the second coming of Jesus and gives teams what he feels his client is worth. If I was a gambling man, I'd say that amount of money the Yankees gave him was Boras' idea, not Ellsbury's.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

At the end of the day, the agent works for the player, so much like we say to blame the teams and not Nike for bad designs, you've got to "blame" or "credit" (depending on your POV) the player and not the agent.

Guys like Boras have a lot of influence over players due to their reputation and deals that they've gotten for past clients, but any player at any time can say "Scott - I want to sign for $1 - get it done."

Scott Boras convinced JD Drew that signing in Philadelphia after the draft would be a bad move and kill his career, causing Drew to hold out and go back in to the draft. Ultimately, it was Drew's decision, but as a young kid, he probably deferred to Boras' judgement (which at the time was probably right.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looks like the A's were denied San Jose back on June 17 and the league has been sitting on the information. It also occured the day before the city then sued the league (now we know why). Guess it's time to prepare for the inevitable sale and move of the team since the big objection to San Jose was that the city wasn't providing enough public funding, and we know Oakland won't be able to provide any meaningful funding either since they're almost as broke as Detroit.

Portland A's?

San Antonio A's?

Omaha A's?

Montreal A's?

What does the future hold?

Looks like the A's were denied San Jose back on June 17 and the league has been sitting on the information. It also occured the day before the city then sued the league (now we know why). Guess it's time to prepare for the inevitable sale and move of the team since the big objection to San Jose was that the city wasn't providing enough public funding, and we know Oakland won't be able to provide any meaningful funding either since they're almost as broke as Detroit.

Portland A's?

San Antonio A's?

Omaha A's?

Montreal A's?

If they move(out of the Bay Area) its Portland but that's IF. Def not Montreal, Omaha maybe or Salt Lake City, LV, or OKC. Only cause Portland has a stadium with no team to hold them till they get a new one built, is why I think that they are 1st in relocation for them IF that happens.

Portland A's?

San Antonio A's?

Omaha A's?

Montreal A's?

I hope they don't get rid of their sweet uniforms, at least. :(

Portland A's?

San Antonio A's?

Omaha A's?

Montreal A's?

At first, I wasn't sold on the idea of a professional baseball franchise in the middle of Nebraska. Then I noticed the NBA having its own franchise in a super-small market (OKC) and realized the MLB-Omaha idea isn't so far-fetched...

Portland A's?

San Antonio A's?

Omaha A's?

Montreal A's?

At first, I wasn't sold on the idea of a professional baseball franchise in the middle of Nebraska. Then I noticed the NBA having its own franchise in a super-small market (OKC) and realized the MLB-Omaha idea isn't so far-fetched...
Not a good comparison. OKC is a larger market considering the proximity of Tulsa. Not to mention filling an arena for 41 games isn't as difficult as filling a ballpark for 81 games.

Omaha is not a possibility. College baseball doesn't automatically translate to MLB.

Stop it.

Stop what? Discussing a relevant topic?

I think posting in general.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's great to see that not much has changed around here.

-The Yankees were smart for sticking to their guns on Cano.

-Great job Mariners. Now how about an outfield...or some pitching. Cano won't get the job done alone, nor will he put fans in the stands.

-Good for Napoli for staying with the Red Sox.

-Everyone else in the NL East is making moves (even though you can kind of laugh at the ones the Phillies have made) What will the Braves do? Wren likes to keep things quiet and if you think the only think he will do is let McCann and Hudson walk, you're wrong. But what moves will be made?

Portland A's?

San Antonio A's?

Omaha A's?

Montreal A's?

Not a good comparison. OKC is a larger market considering the proximity of Tulsa. Not to mention filling an arena for 41 games isn't as difficult as filling a ballpark for 81 games.

Omaha is not a possibility. College baseball doesn't automatically translate to MLB.

From what I've read, the Athletics' specific proposal was denied but a move to San Jose is still possible:

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2013/12/07/did-mlb-deny-the-as-request-to-move-to-san-jose-in-june/

That certainly sounds like a final answer, but I just spoke with a source who is familiar with the proceedings who tells me that MLB’s June 17 response to the A’s was not a rejection – it said only that that specific proposal for a San Jose stadium was insufficient and MLB wanted more information and other assurances before considering such a move. There was no outright rejection, nor any approval.

Archived