2014 MLB Offseason

Gary

Stop it.

Stop what? Discussing a relevant topic?

I was referring to the "where to move the A's" talk with the inclusion of irrelevant cities like Omaha, which could spiral out of control like reel line mint posts generally do. Didn't want to come back to this thread and have 30 posts of "Montreal deserves their team back", "what about Salt Lake?", etc. Obviously I'm not a mod and A's relocation talk is relevant to this thread, but only really the facts, and not completely baseless speculation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop it.

I was referring to the "where to move the A's" talk with the inclusion of irrelevant cities like Omaha, which could spiral out of control like reel line mint posts generally do. Didn't want to come back to this thread and have 30 posts of "Montreal deserves their team back", "what about Salt Lake?", etc. Obviously I'm not a mod and A's relocation talk is relevant to this thread, but only really the facts, and not completely baseless speculation.

Yes Omaha is not a probable choice and is annoying to hear, but the possibility of the A's relocating, in and of itself, is very real and very much fact, so it's relevant speculation.

Mark my words about Cano this deal will be an albatross in Seattle the next decade. Cano hardly hustles and strikes me as the type a player who may loaf ala Bobby Bonillia after a big contrct.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Stop it.

Yes Omaha is not a probable choice and is annoying to hear, but the possibility of the A's relocating, in and of itself, is very real and very much fact, so it's relevant speculation.

If anyone thought Omaha was a legitimate option they've obviously lost their sense of humor and know nothing about the history of the A's either (Peculiar, MO anyone?).

Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa and Bobby Cox have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

Can't argue any of those, but I do have to wonder if it'll take five different people to give the last third of La Russa's induction speech.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Good for them.

Question, do you guys think Mike Scioscia will make the HOF (as a manager of course)? I realize he hasn't done all too well in recent years, but he's getting up there in longevity, and he does have a similar amount of accolades to Cox. Even if he gets canned by the Angels after this year, I'm sure he'll find another job and manage at least another 5 years (which will bring him to 20 years).

Roy Halladay will sign a one-day contract with the Blue Jays and then retire.

That's a shame. Halladay was always one of my favorite non-Red Sox players and to see him dominate, decline, and then retire as quickly as he did is just sad.

Farewell, Roy.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Stop it.

If anyone thought Omaha was a legitimate option they've obviously lost their sense of humor and know nothing about the history of the A's either (Peculiar, MO anyone?).

Peculiar's a Kansas City suburb. Not exactly a far one either (although part of that's because Kansas City is one giant sprawling suburb).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Stop it.

Peculiar's a Kansas City suburb. Not exactly a far one either (although part of that's because Kansas City is one giant sprawling suburb).

In 1960 it was a cow pasture quite distant from Kansas City, not quite the suburb it is today (though it is still 30 miles from downtown if I'm not mistaken and has a very small population and would still be an unlikely location for a ballpark).

Point is no one would think Omaha was a legitimate option, but there are plenty of those out there should the A's be denied San Jose outright. Right now it's not clear if Selig denied the specific plan the A's came up with for San Jose or the entire idea of moving to SJ (consensus seems to be the former, though not sure what changes they could make to the proposed plan that would placate Selig and still make it a viable plan). But if San Jose is/was denied, I've no doubt there are at least one or two Cobb Counties out there who might just pique MLB's interest should Wolff sell.

Roy Halladay will sign a one-day contract with the Blue Jays and then retire.

That's a shame. Halladay was always one of my favorite non-Red Sox players and to see him dominate, decline, and then retire as quickly as he did is just sad.

Farewell, Roy.

I'm curious as to the truth of his injury, and whether he lied or the Phillies covered it up (or both.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Roy Halladay threw a perfect game and a no-hitter in the same season three years ago. That injury did a number on him.

Edit: I guess he's 36 so it's not like he's young and retiring. He's been around for a while.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Stop it.

In 1960 it was a cow pasture quite distant from Kansas City, not quite the suburb it is today (though it is still 30 miles from downtown if I'm not mistaken and has a very small population and would still be an unlikely location for a ballpark).

Point is no one would think Omaha was a legitimate option, but there are plenty of those out there should the A's be denied San Jose outright. Right now it's not clear if Selig denied the specific plan the A's came up with for San Jose or the entire idea of moving to SJ (consensus seems to be the former, though not sure what changes they could make to the proposed plan that would placate Selig and still make it a viable plan). But if San Jose is/was denied, I've no doubt there are at least one or two Cobb Counties out there who might just pique MLB's interest should Wolff sell.

San Jose's being named as Giants' territory is as asinine as calling North Jersey Phillies territory. Yeah, might be close, by they are separate markets.

Selig needs to go and go NOW. He's out of touch with the reality of business in 2013 and beyond.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Why isn't Marvin MIller in the Hall?

Christians consider Satan important, but they don't put his name on churches.

But to be clearer, it's because we live in an unjust world.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Diamondbacks and Angels working on a deal for Mark Trumbo. Angels want Tyler Skaggs and either Wade Miley or Patrick Corbin. Diamondbacks do not want to part ways with either Miley or Corbin and they are trying to dangle Didi Gregorious or Chris Owings. Been reading this via Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic/Azcentral.com via twitter.

Archived