2014 MLB Offseason

Gary

To add fuel to the hatred, Arte Moreno probably is going to be responsible for the success of the Cardinals for the long term. Without him offering Pujols the deal he did, the Cardinals likely sign him for a similar, slightly cheaper, contract. They don't resign Wainwright and Molina, probably just one. And they don't have the flexibility to keep their in house talent or make many of the signings they have and will.

So there you go Ant-Arte and Anti-Cards fans, Unite!!

Plus if they re-sign Pujols, they don't get the pick they used on Wacha.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell happened to Moreno? A few years ago, he was THE owner fans of other teams aspired to own their team. I know I read a whole bunch of "The Sox need an owner like Arte Moreno" posts, along with some from other fandoms. The Angels have just spun their wheels the last few years. The Pujols signing is primed to be considered the most disasterous contract in sports history for at least a decade, and Hamilton obviously had a bad year (though his contract is much shorter). So, what's the deal? Have those two contracts, along with drastically overpaying C.J. Wilson just sunk the team, or has it been a steady pattern of bumbling out of Anaheim?

Essentially, what seemed to start it was an apparent inability to make a "splash" in offseason free agency. I forget which player it was (I'm thinking Carl Crawford), but it set off what I consider panic moves, like trading away Napoli and Juan Rivera for Vernon Wells or (2013 All-Star) Jean Segura for Zack Grienke, who they let walk the following season.

While there's obvious excitement when they signed Pujols, Hamilton, Wilson and traded for Grienke, it's a bit of an "Oh :censored:, what did they do?!?" kind of feeling as well.

That's just it. You can throw all the money at big name players you want, but dumb baseball moves are just that. Dumb baseball moves.

Arte wanted to make a big splash and try to grab a strangle hold over the LA market while the Dodgers were struggling, but instead of hiring the right people to make the best moves, they basically just blindly threw cash at guys like I do when playing franchise mode in MVP Baseball. Because of that, they have a roster that, while talented, is extremely unbalanced, and even with all that money, they basically reached their financial limit.

The Dodgers seemed to have made the same mistake with that huge trade with the Red Sox, but being purchased by people who have more money than God and getting lucky on the Puig signing bailed them out (at least for now) of what could've been a HUGE mess.

Not only did the Angels fail at trying to establish themselves as the premiere team in Los Angeles, they also tied up so much money in so few declining players, that it's gonna be interesting to see if they can even keep a guy like Trout along for the long haul.

No doubt the Angels are MUCH better run today than they have been in the majority of their history, but they flopped pretty hard when it comes to establishing themselves as a real threat to the Dodgers in that market. Part of it is their location, no doubt. Part of it is the fact that it's the Dodgers who they're trying to compete with (meaning, just about any idiot can remain on top with as much as the Dodgers have to work with (History, location, media market, ect), regardless of ownership). But a third really important part of that is how they've stumbled in really trying to be consistently competitive.

I feel that's Arte's main problem now. He tried to wedge himself into the LA market when I'm not sure he had to. Hence the name change.

I'm lead to think that the big free agent signings in recent years have been business moves first, baseball moves second, especially with the Dodgers ownership issues going on in the background.

IbjBaeE.png

Jim Fregosi, manager of the '93 Phillies and the man the Mets traded Nolan Ryan for, has died:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10454930/former-major-league-manager-jim-fregosi-71-dies

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived