Retired Number Banners

rmackman

Pavel Bure had his #10 retired by the Vancouver Canucks a few evenings ago. He deserved it, without a doubt. However, the banner was done in today's uniform style. Almost the whole Vancouver portion of his career, he wore the black, red, and yellow uniform of the 90s. I see a lot of teams doing this now, and it kind of bugs me. Shouldn't the banner reflect the era the player actually played in?

Banner:

BYGlaOYIcAAGF7x.jpg

Player:

pavelburejerseyretirement.jpg

Banner:

alonzo-mourning-jersey.jpg

Player (Debateable, since he wore both):

alonzo-mourning-black-jersey.jpg

nba_g_amourning1_400.jpg

Banner:

44fb0e_0ece24db0f745e02bf65cb1c42900db6.

Player:

molitor_7.jpg

Anyways...you get the point. IMO, this is how it should look:

IMG_0556.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the banner should absolutely represent the era in which the player played. It also bugs me when franchises bring back players from the past and put a current jersey on them. The Reds had the starting eight players from the Big Red Machine of the 1970s on the field in September and they wore the current jerseys instead of the pullovers from their era. It took away from the visual experience just a bit.

The Reds did it right at Cinergy Field...

060798morganjersey_600x338.jpg

...but then kinda blew it when they moved to Great American Ballpark...

Cincinnati%2BReds%2B025%2B(Small).JPG

I think there should be some consistency - so when you look at the rafters, all the banners at least look like they're from the same team.

One way is just to avoid logos and jerseys all together, and just make the banner a number and name. I guess colors could be an issue for a team like Vancouver, but if you go with a more generic look, then it wouldn't be so bad if a number isn't in the player's "right" color.

Or, not that the Flyers have this issue since they've never changed, but what they just changed to is a picture of the player in action on the banner, with his name and number. If you did that, then you could show the player in the uniform he's most known for, while still keeping the overall banner in line with all the others.

4f56be178c0c5.preview-300.jpg

Also, while the rest of the Nets banners look cool, that Petrovic one sucks. Without the context of the others, it just looks like a random red streak.

How it should be

_mgl2584.jpg

Nets do it right also

New-Jersey-Brooklyn-Nets-Retired-Jersey-

Nets-Kidd-Jersey.jpg

The Nets just need to retire the #2 one day. 23, 32, 25, 52, then individually 5, 3, and 2. :)

I think there should be some consistency - so when you look at the rafters, all the banners at least look like they're from the same team.

One way is just to avoid logos and jerseys all together, and just make the banner a number and name. I guess colors could be an issue for a team like Vancouver, but if you go with a more generic look, then it wouldn't be so bad if a number isn't in the player's "right" color.

Or, not that the Flyers have this issue since they've never changed, but what they just changed to is a picture of the player in action on the banner, with his name and number. If you did that, then you could show the player in the uniform he's most known for, while still keeping the overall banner in line with all the others.

Also, while the rest of the Nets banners look cool, that Petrovic one sucks. Without the context of the others, it just looks like a random red streak.

I agree with this the most. If a team has worn similar colors/jerseys their entire existence then I like when they put the retired number on the era-specific jersey. When you look at the Reds jerseys on the wall you can easily tell they're all from the same team even though the designs are different. But for a team like the Canucks, I'm fine with them putting all of the banners in the current colors. Like the LA Kings picture posted earlier, banners in all different colors look too out of place, like they're from different teams. I guess this is just another reason why it's best that teams don't completely change up a color scheme.

I'm pretty sure the Sabres had mismatching styles of banners for their newer ones, but then went back and redid the new ones to match. Can't find proof, though.

SabresBanners.jpg

They have done the numbers right so far. Pat Lafontaine played in the red and black, but for only 13 games and was basically elbowed into retirement in that stretch. Management has alluded in the past that they will retire Dominik Hasek's 39... that could be interesting, because his best days were absolutely in the red and black goat heads, but current management doesn't seem to want anything to do with that era. He did wear the old blue and gold for a few years, though, so they could kick that can down the road a while. I don't think there's any other current or recently-retired players who will have their numbers retired.

7030858883_9d83877c05.jpg

I like this. Making the player photo grayscaled also eliminates the problems of players from different eras wearing different colors.

I like this. Making the player photo grayscaled also eliminates the problems of players from different eras wearing different colors.

Yeah that's what I'm saying - the banner itself could be white with a current-color number, or vice versa, and it wouldn't matter since the image would show the uniform he wore (albeit without colors.) Again, I really think that consistency is important when it comes to banners.

The Sixers f'd up and used the then-current logo for Charles Barkley's banner. The following season it was changed to match the other's from his era.

t1_barkley_ap-01.jpg

Archived