Retired Number Banners

rmackman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

98_Banners_Hang_Above_Floor_at_Philips_A

Yeah, this is a mess. The only person (or divisional title) with a somewhat accurate banner here is Ted Turner, and that's because he did own the team while the Hawks had that logo. Other than that, this is a mess.

• The Hawks never wore that font, so it's basically just a generic banner with Lou Hudson & Nique's numbers slapped on it.
  • Bob Pettit never wore red-&-gold because he never played a minute here in Atlanta.
  • The Hawks never had that primary logo for any of their divisional wins. In fact, their color scheme was red-white-&-blue for the '69-70 divisional title! All the other teams had the "Pac-Man" logo. Mind-boggling that they were able to put that logo on Turner's banner but not on the divisional title banners.

I get a headache every time I look at those banners because they're all badly done, but I'm sure that the fanbase probably doesn't care about it that much because the team's identity history is pretty weird and nobody cares about divisional titles. Still, the fact that they haven't fixed it means that I don't have too much faith for the team to put up a decent-looking banner for whenever the team actually wins something in the future (go ahead and get your jokes in now).

This is in stark contrast to what the Falcons and Braves have done, especially the Braves since even though they moved the location of their retired numbers, they still managed to keep the numbers historically accurate.

I hate how Miami puts rafters up if their player makes the Olympic team. They have jumbled, mismatched rafters

americanairlines_arena_rafters_by_fjojr-

Not only the worst collection of banners, but this collage leaves out Michael Jordan's jersey, which the Heat have also hanging from the rafters..... Not a joke.

6uXNWAo.png

117_EnergySolutions_Arena_4.jpg

Utah's numbers were well-depicted. Hornacek's used to be the mountain-era jersey, but was changed to the J-note somewhere in 2010. But Hornacek wore the mountains for much of his Utah tenure, so I don't understand why the Jazz decided to honor the J-note for Hornacek rather than their more successful mountain-era jerseys after 2010.

2487117345_feb90ec221_z.jpg

I didn't realize that Maravich actually did play 17 games in the first season in Utah ....but I'm pretty sure the uniforms was the same as the New Orleans jersey at that time. I definitely associate Hornacek more with the mountains. Stockton and Malone of course work fine with either set.

Not only the worst collection of banners, but this collage leaves out Michael Jordan's jersey, which the Heat have also hanging from the rafters..... Not a joke.

Pretty unequivocally the lamest jersey retirement in sports history.

This would have been passable had the NBA formally retired Jordan's number, the way the NHL did Gretzky's and MLB did Jackie Robinson's. But there isn't such occasion happening, thus making Miami's hanging even more stupid.

105_Pistons_Retired_Numbers_zps97940870.

I suppose this raw will be extended in a couple of years since the members of the 2004 team have begun to retire. Do you think the whole starting lineup Billups-Rip-Tay-Sheed-Ben will make it to the rafters? Are they going to honour Larry Brown as well?

championship banners should not say 11-12, 12-13 champs and so on ............you did not win 2 year in a row or in this case 3 years

What? It means they're champions of the '11-12 season. It's not like that's a particularly difficult concept to grasp.

31_Pru_Center_Devils_18_zps1395404f.jpg

I hate how the Devils have two sets of retired number banners (one on each side of the arena). The banners themselves are perfect, though.

I know. It looks SO stupid. I'm hoping that as they raise more banners (Brodeur, Elias), they will change it so they only have 1 of each banner. And you are right, the banners are great by themselves.

Pretty unequivocally the lamest jersey retirement in sports history.

Pat Riley seemingly wanted the franchise to celebrate something before there was anything to celebrate.

I'm holding out hope that the team's current success will continue and they'll start taking down banners. They're so cluttered and poorly matched to one another. The division titles are meaningless and can go. The Olympians could go down once they retire Wade's (and probably James', maybe Bosh's) numbers. The owner is very big on the Heat organization being a "family," so that athletic trainer banner might be there to stay.

Total pipe dream of mine ... James wins his 7th title with the Heat and they take down the Jordan jersey during the trophy ceremony. A man can dream.

PJU85JF.png

100_4212_zpsbca1a2e1.jpg

Did Jagr ever play in the black and (vegas) gold? I think not.

I wonder if the Penguins will retire his number in the colors he played in. I hope so. It will bring beautiful contrast next to Lemieux and Briere's banners.

In Jagr's last year as a Pen, the black vegas gold jersey was used as an alternate. So he only wore it a couple of times. But I don't think they are retiring Jagr's number anyway.

31_Pru_Center_Devils_18_zps1395404f.jpg

I hate how the Devils have two sets of retired number banners (one on each side of the arena). The banners themselves are perfect, though.

I know. It looks SO stupid. I'm hoping that as they raise more banners (Brodeur, Elias), they will change it so they only have 1 of each banner. And you are right, the banners are great by themselves.

Something looks off about the Niedermayer banner

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived