Retired Number Banners

rmackman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only the worst collection of banners, but this collage leaves out Michael Jordan's jersey, which the Heat have also hanging from the rafters..... Not a joke.

Pretty unequivocally the lamest jersey retirement in sports history.

Pat Riley seemingly wanted the franchise to celebrate something before there was anything to celebrate.

I'm holding out hope that the team's current success will continue and they'll start taking down banners. They're so cluttered and poorly matched to one another. The division titles are meaningless and can go. The Olympians could go down once they retire Wade's (and probably James', maybe Bosh's) numbers. The owner is very big on the Heat organization being a "family," so that athletic trainer banner might be there to stay.

Total pipe dream of mine ... James wins his 7th title with the Heat and they take down the Jordan jersey during the trophy ceremony. A man can dream.

On the other hand, maybe it makes sense ... retiring Jordan's jersey is about as forced and pre-fabricated as LeBron and pals deciding to assemble a super-team that's guaranteed to win championships. Both are awfully artificial.

There is nothing right about retiring McNabb's number, no matter what font they use. Makes me want to puke - just like he did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In Jagr's last year as a Pen, the black vegas gold jersey was used as an alternate. So he only wore it a couple of times. But I don't think they are retiring Jagr's number anyway.

Why? Because some of the fans booed him when he touched the puck in his new uniform. If that's the reason, I find it quite petty.

There is nothing right about retiring McNabb's number, no matter what font they use. Makes me want to puke - just like he did.

Does most of the fan base feel this way?

No. He's the best QB in franchise history. How his time ended here doesn't change that

I am fine with the notion of McNabb's number being retired. I just think it was too soon to do it. Let him actually be retired and away for a while. Wounds heal in time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

No. He's the best QB in franchise history. How his time ended here doesn't change that

Maybe not "most", but certainly a significant number were against it. McNabb was a phony, a baby, a coward, and hit more receivers in the feet than hands. He was the epitome of a "want my fault, everyone else messed up" guy. He'll - nearly half the locker room was against him during the whole TO fiasco. TO (and Bernard Hopkins) was right.

Maybe not "most", but certainly a significant number were against it. McNabb was a phony, a baby, a coward, and hit more receivers in the feet than hands. He was the epitome of a "want my fault, everyone else messed up" guy. He'll - nearly half the locker room was against him during the whole TO fiasco. TO (and Bernard Hopkins) was right.

True he had some rough moments here, he came up short in a lot of games, way too many, and drove me crazy so many times, but it still doesn't change the fact that he was the best QB in franchise history. He earned it, and their is no way to deny it.

Back on topic:

It is weird seeing the older players names and numbers in the new brand identity. I could deal with the horrible name and number fonts if they would only just go back to kelly green for the uniforms.

"Best QB in Eagles history" isn't exactly an elite list.

Norm Van Brocklin didn't really have that many years (though he did win a championship), Sonny Jurgensen was better known for what he did in Washington, Ron Jawarski played in as many SBs as McNabb but really was overrated, and Randall Cunningham never had a fair chance because he never had a real offensive coordinator until the very end... and that was Rich goddam Kotite.

I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread so far, but I doubt it has.

The Senators did a pretty good job with their one retired number, #8 for Frank Finnigan (1923-34) is in the fashion of the barber pole sweater he wore.

5168464310_7d484de6de_z.jpg

The Stanley Cup banners are in the 1992 colours though, which I never got. But it was still good for them to think of that.

Archived