Retired Number Banners

rmackman

"Best QB in Eagles history" isn't exactly an elite list.

Norm Van Brocklin didn't really have that many years (though he did win a championship), Sonny Jurgensen was better known for what he did in Washington, Ron Jawarski played in as many SBs as McNabb but really was overrated, and Randall Cunningham never had a fair chance because he never had a real offensive coordinator until the very end... and that was Rich goddam Kotite.

Doesn't have to be elite, as long as your number 1 on that list. We are talking in terms of those other QB's, and he is the best in franchise history aka, your number will probably be retired. I think it was too soon, but it was gonna happen. Hate or love em, you know it.

To quote McNabb:

(yelling) "Number 5, will always love you!!!!!!!!"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread so far, but I doubt it has.

The Senators did a pretty good job with their one retired number, #8 for Frank Finnigan (1923-34) is in the fashion of the barber pole sweater he wore.

5168464310_7d484de6de_z.jpg

The Stanley Cup banners are in the 1992 colours though, which I never got. But it was still good for them to think of that.

I disagree with retiring Finnegan's number. It's not the same team, not a continuity of any kind. He never played for this franchise, and they never won any cups.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I hate the fact the Senators try to pass the original Senators history as their own, just as much as I hate the Jets fans who think Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 are the same franchise.

The Senators are a 90's expansion team, and the Jets were the Atlanta Thrashers.

I hate the fact the Senators try to pass the original Senators history as their own, just as much as I hate the Jets fans who think Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 are the same franchise.

The Senators are a 90's expansion team, and the Jets were the Atlanta Thrashers.

Kudos to True North for not claiming the history of the Jets 1.0 as their own (not that they could since PHX is still around). Only the Moose stuff is hanging from the rafters (thanks to the Jets never winning the Southeast division). Steen's old number was issued already and Kane wears Hull's old number.

However, I can't really fault the fans who feel like they've been slighted for so long and want to hold on to the idea that Teemu's Jets is still playing at the MTS Centre. Renaming the Thrashers to the Jets name was inevitable. Many of these fans help pay the team's bills, and will be key to keeping the team here in the future so if that keeps 'em happy, whatever. As long as TNSE doesn't retire 9, 10, and 25 all of a sudden, all's good.

At the very least, I think it's fine that the Sens acknowledge the old Sens--who else will? The Quebec Bulldogs have their own banner in the Colisee, but slapping the centurion on the Silver Seven's accomplishments is just sad. Not a Sens fan, but retiring number 8 for a fellow who's never played for a franchise born in the 90s is as lame as #1 being retired by the Wild.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Norm Van Brocklin didn't really have that many years (though he did win a championship), Sonny Jurgensen was better known for what he did in Washington, Ron Jawarski played in as many SBs as McNabb but really was overrated, and Randall Cunningham never had a fair chance because he never had a real offensive coordinator until the very end... and that was Rich goddam Kotite.

Doesn't have to be elite, as long as your number 1 on that list. We are talking in terms of those other QB's, and he is the best in franchise history aka, your number will probably be retired. I think it was too soon, but it was gonna happen. Hate or love em, you know it.

To quote McNabb:

F him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To quote McNabb:

F him.

That's what usually happens when your in love.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread so far, but I doubt it has.

The Senators did a pretty good job with their one retired number, #8 for Frank Finnigan (1923-34) is in the fashion of the barber pole sweater he wore.

5168464310_7d484de6de_z.jpg

The Stanley Cup banners are in the 1992 colours though, which I never got. But it was still good for them to think of that.

I disagree with retiring Finnegan's number. It's not the same team, not a continuity of any kind. He never played for this franchise, and they never won any cups.

Retiring the number might have been a little too much but I have no problem with the banner. Finnigan was the last surviving member of the 1927 Stanley Cup winning Sens and was a big part of the campaign to bring an expansion team to Ottawa. If he had not been a part of that campaign who knows if they would've even won the bid. On top of that he didn't even live to see the second incarnation of the team play its first game.

As far as the Stanley Cup banners are concerned, very few Sens fans claim or celebrate these wins at all. But it is still important to recognize the city's hockey history, one of the NHL's founding teams, and its first ever dynasty. I do wish they used a barberpole/=O= theme for the banners instead of the centurion though.

only player that should have his number retired by all teams in the nhl is jaromir jagr

They should retire his '90s mullett league wide.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hot sports take, Lambert.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3606038256_fa57f7562d_z.jpg

I've always loved the look, but we fortunately have the benefit of having had a fairly consistent look.

Although we beat out complaints of McNabb's number being retired early. I was looking forward for seeing the ceremony for Mariano's number in a year or two, and was shocked to find out this happened about halfway through September:

df75dd397fe4cf245f80ec9128d34617.jpg?ito

I've always liked these, but the new seating is so high that people block them during games:

retired-numbers.jpg

The Braves do a beautiful job of representing their myriad of look changes:

4506526594_febf6c2af1_z.jpg

The Cards are probably my second favorite numbers in sports. While I wouldn't want this to appear in Monument Park, I'd love something this beautiful to exist somewhere in the Stadium:

6337828921_7ec621eb40_z.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived