Ranking NFL Helmets only

ScubaSteve

No one ever reads these, but I still love posting my lists:

1. New Orleans

I'm surprised by this. Not that the Saints don't have a nice helmet, but its just so... standard, its surprising to me that it made someone's number one. Can you explain what it is that makes it stand out to you. (I only ask because, generally, you have an opinion that I find interesting on these things.)

You could say the same thing about the Cowboys.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the tiers idea. I'm borrowing that.

Same here.

Gold Tier - best of the best

Dallas, Buffalo, Oakland, New Orleans, Green Bay, Kansas City, Houston, Indianapolis, NY Jets, NY Giants, Pittsburgh.

Sliver Tier - really, really good

Arizona, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Washington.

Bronze Tier - not bad

Cincinnati*, Philadelphia, Tennessee, Carolina, Detroit, New England

Rusted Aluminum Tier - not good at all

Jacksonville, Miami, Denver, Baltimore, Atlanta**, San Diego***, Seattle

*it's a fine helmet, there's not a thing wrong with it, I've just never really cared for it - sorry

**the logo started looking dated about 4 weeks into it's first season

***any one of their prior helmets would have made the gold tier

BB52Big.jpg

Is Buffalo's helmet really THAT good? The logo is cool, yes ( I wouldnt go as far as to call it timeless since they havent always used it) but the overall helmet? The gray facemask is a fail IMO and so was the move back to a white helmet.

I'd rank their current helmet about fifth out of this crop

helmethistory.jpg

Is Buffalo's helmet really THAT good? The logo is cool, yes ( I wouldnt go as far as to call it timeless since they havent always used it) but the overall helmet? The gray facemask is a fail IMO and so was the move back to a white helmet.

I'd rank their current helmet about fifth out of this crop

is it that good? yea, it's as good as i say it is. everyone has their own opinion and own taste. it's a well designed helmet all around. good color, large, bold logo, a pleasant stripe, and the gray mask (without going down that rabbit hole of worms) is an appropriate choice for their vintage-modern style and i like the aesthetic of it personally. it's not timeless because of how long it has been around, but timeless because how long it will be around without looking tired/old/dated. and i don't think you can ever go wrong with a black or white helmet

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

OK, I want to play with the "tiers" rules;

First Rank - Niners, Rams, Vikings, Buccaneers, Bengals, Raiders

Second Rank - Cardinals, Bears, Packers, Giants, Bills, Browns, Colts, Texans, Chargers

Third Rank - Lions, Cowboys, Eagles**, Washington, Saints, Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs**

Fourth Rank - Seahawks**, Falcons, Panthers**, Jets, Dolphins, Ravens, Titans, Broncos**

Just plain Rank - Jaguars

**teams with nice logos that screw it up with bad color choices, striping, or accents

Incredible Tier- Steelers, Bengals, Vikings, Chargers
Functional Tier- Cowboys, Bears, Eagles, Rams
Somewhat Functional Tier- Seahawks, Bills, Packers, Raiders
Ruined by Gray Facemask Tier- Giants, Browns
Meh Tier- Patriots, Chiefs, Saints, Redskins, Broncos, Panthers
Getting Worse Tier- Buccanneers, Colts, Lions, 49ers
Bad Tier- Jets, Ravens, Cardinals, Dolphins
Immediately Change- Falcons, Texans, Titans, Jaguars

Best Classics: Blue & Gold Rams, Kelly Green Eagles, Redskins Spear, Browns w/White facemask, Jets plane w/Black facemask

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

So I figured I'd do a classic-only list too, and I'm only counting helmets that are no longer being worn...

1. Houston/Tennessee Oilers 1975-1998

This helmet was perfect in every respect. Perfect colours, perfect striping, perfect logo. I know the name Oilers has little to do with Tennessee, but I wish the Titans would have kept the name. The helmet (and uniform it went with) was good enough to overcome the name not making much sense.

2. San Diego Chargers, 1974-1987

The current Chargers' helmet suffers from the double blue outline. All the previous Chargers helmets, however, worked to varying degrees. My favourite in a vacuum, however, has to be the 74-87 royal blue and athletic gold helmet.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1976-1996

Associated with terrible teams? Yeah. Colours a bit "soft" for football? Maybe. I don't even think it was wrong to change the look when they did. The team needed a refresh at the time, and they got it. And while the current Bucs look isn't bad by any means, it just seems a bit dated. It's not entirely the fault of it either. It's just another overly aggressive logo that was released at a time when that was all the rage. It provided a much needed respit, but I think the swashbuckling/romantic styling of Bucco Buce are very much needed again, and the colours just scream "Florida" to me.

4. Washington Redskins, 1965-1969

I don't even mind the current Redskins logo/helmet. It could stay if they changed the name to something Native themed yet respectful. The 65-69 helmet, however, is just that much better. Maybe Florida State "owns" the spear helmet look to a point where it can't really be used, even by a NFL team, but it's just a sharp, striking design. Even the grey facemask works. It goes so well with the maroon/burgundy.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-2008

The current helmet is the worst helmet designed in the history of professional football, and I say that without a bit of hyperbole. The sparking teal shell didn't do it for me either. The original Jags helmet though? The old logo's gold and teal bits just popped off of the standard black gloss shell. It was sleek and eye-catching, modern in a lot of ways, but not so modern it's ridiculous (see their current helmet).

==============================================

Cincinnati Bengals, 1969-1980

I know there are a few admirers of this helmet on this board, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes but...damn this was uninspired design. There's classic and then there's old. This, I feel, is an example of the latter.

New England Patriots, variations from 1961-1992

Pat the Patriot started off as a poorly drawn newspaper cartoon, and he never became more then that. A terribly overrated logo that would need a ground-up redesign if they ever decided to bring him back full time in any official capacity.

Houston Oilers, 1960-1963

I love powder blue as a colour. I've never felt it worked as a helmet colour, however.

Buffalo Bills, 1984-1986

I'm not fond of any of the Bills' red helmets because I feel like the red and royal blue are just competing for prominence in the colour scheme. This was the worst example of that. The royal blue facemask just looked cheap and jarring next to the red shell.

Denver Broncos, variations from 1962-1966

That old bucking horse logo was just goofy.

I took a different approach and picked each teams best helmets. (Based on my opinion)

Untitled_zps9d81875c.png

ARZ Cardinals (2005-Pres)
STL Rams (2000-Pres)
SF 49ers (2009-Pres)
SEA Seahawks (2002-11)
CHI Bears (1982-Pres)
DET Lions (1983-2002)
GB Packers (1980-Pres)
MIN Vikings (2013-Pres)
ATL Falcons (2003-Pres)
CAR Panthers (2012-Pres)
NO Saints (2000-Pres)
TB Buccaneers (1997-Pres)
DAL Cowboys (1960-63, 2004-05)
NY Giants (1961-74, 1994)
PHI Eagles (1996-Pres)
WAS Redskins (1970-71, 2007)
DEN Broncos (1975-96, 2001)
KC Chiefs (1974-Pres)
OAK Raiders (1964-Pres)
SD Chargers (Some games in 1994, 2000, 2002-03)
BAL Ravens (1999-Pres)
CIN Bengals (1981-Pres)
CLE Browns (1975-95, 1999-2005)
PIT Steelers (2007-10) - Yellow Alt.
HOU Texans (2002-Pres)
IND Colts (1977-94)
JAX Jaguars (1995-2012)
TEN Titans (1999-Pres)
BUF Bills (1965-73, 2005)
MIA Dolphins (1997-2012)
NE Patriots (1994-Pres)
NY Jets (1978-90)
HOU Oilers (1960-63, 1994, 2009)
RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Since the Bengals are on most of your top fives- What do think about it in a matte finish? I think it could enhance the look.

I would be against it. Matte helmets always look unfinished to me. I've yet to see a matte helmet where I thought matte looked sufficiently better then standard gloss would have.

Archived