Northwestern unis

Blue Falcon

I know they are trying to say that this is not a "bloody" flag image, but who do they think they are kidding? I am somewhat repulsed by this.

Just wear purple, black and white like you have some pride. I am getting sick and tired of these one-off uniforms. TOO MUCH ALREADY!!!

College football is becoming a star wars uniform away from minor league hockey/baseball.

Enough. We support cancer patients. We support the troops. We don't need a pink helmet or a red/white/blue uniform to prove you do as well. The big issue here is when you have NCAA with 12 games and the NFL with 16, you don't have the amount of games to stray from your home/away/alternate jersey to warrant a pink month/warrior game.

KISSwall09.jpg

I'm appalled by bloody flag imagery on college, or pro uniforms. These guys are not actual soldiers (although a few could certainly be veterans). Real soldiers spill their actual blood on their uniforms almost every day. Frankly, the US flag should not be butchered as a fashion statement for a college football uniform. The administration at Northwestern should step in and not allow the team to wear these. Put the flag on the jersey and helmet and leave it at that. Why not simply donate the money used to create these uniforms to a veterans' cause and ask fans to donate as well?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I'm appalled by bloody flag imagery on college, or pro uniforms. These guys are not actual soldiers (although a few could certainly be veterans). Real soldiers spill their actual blood on their uniforms almost every day. Frankly, the US flag should not be butchered as a fashion statement for a college football uniform. The administration at Northwestern should step in and not allow the team to wear these. Put the flag on the jersey and helmet and leave it at that. Why not simply donate the money used to create these uniforms to a veterans' cause and ask fans to donate as well?

They said before that the print on the flag was supposed to make it look old and weathered, not bloody.

At least, that's what I read in the College football thread, where this has already been discussed all week.

It's not a bloody flag; the whole thing is distressed, which is awful by itself. I'm pretty sure worn out flags are supposed to be replaced, so having "an authentic distressed pattern which depicts a flag that has flown proudly over a long period of time" is not really a badge of honor, IMO. Plus, it's going to suffer from the same problem that the crazy Maryland unis did... the players are going to look like they're on different teams when they're facing opposite directions. They should have alternated the striped parts with the star-spangled parts. If they did that and got rid of the distressed look, I would actually like these.

But what's the worst thing about these uniforms?

Old Glory..... beat to hell

Northwestern and Under Armour logos... clear as day!

i think in a vacuum, these uniforms look really freaking cool...

however they have nothing at all to do with the team's identity, and i'm sick and tired of uniforms being billboards for "causes."

I know they are trying to say that this is not a "bloody" flag image, but who do they think they are kidding? I am somewhat repulsed by this.

Just wear purple, black and white like you have some pride. I am getting sick and tired of these one-off uniforms. TOO MUCH ALREADY!!!

The only people who look at these uniforms and see blood splatter are people looking to be offended, Take a look at the Star section of the uniform and you'll see streaks of blue through the white stars as well. You people need to get a life.

The only people who look at these uniforms and see blood splatter are people looking to be offended, Take a look at the Star section of the uniform and you'll see streaks of blue through the white stars as well. You people need to get a life.

Agreed. If you want to be offended by these uniforms having virtually nothing in them that says "Northwestern" (other than the wordmark they had to add since you'd have no clue otherwise), then that's one thing. But acting like this is supposed to be a bloody flag when it obviously isn't is silly.

Are you kidding? I don't see any way it doesn't look like blood. It's as tasteless a uniform that has ever been worn.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

and here i go making a comment that neither side of the argument wants to hear:

it totally looks like blood, but that doesn't offend me at all. i doubt it was intended to, but it does. and that's probably why i think it looks so cool.

but i still think it's only good in a vacuum, and it's terrible when viewed in context with the team's identity.

The "believe in heroes font" is terrible.

The Maryland template with the USA flag is lazy.

The Bloodsplatter imagery is in terribly poor/disgusting taste.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Never saw those until just now. They're also horrible. It also doesn't help that the term "wounded warrior" is associated with the blood splattering.

I know it wasn't meant to offend, but frankly all of these stupid "tribute" uniforms are offensive, whether there's inadvertent blood splatters or not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Never saw those until just now. They're also horrible. It also doesn't help that the term "wounded warrior" is associated with the blood splattering.

I know it wasn't meant to offend, but frankly all of these stupid "tribute" uniforms are offensive, whether there's inadvertent blood splatters or not.

Agreed. They're offensive enough to begin with, but the blood splatters push it into the realm of parody.

I don't see how this is taking as 'blood splatters' there is obviously a distressed texture on the stars as well.

People are just unbelievable :P

I am not so sure. We here have been looking at the uniforms under a microscope and we get it. But I think the splatter pattern is much more obvious on the stripe side than the star side. So people that are not uni-nerds may take a short, superficial look and make an assumption. Should they? No. But that's a reality of some people and it's a reality the designers should have considered.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived