My NFL: Simple, Sleek, Brand Cohesion (Updating with additional views)

thespungo

VgmkOYA.jpg

mzY5Bb3.jpg

0Bjn6oJ.jpg

Baltimore Ravens

- Overall a much more menacing, darker design for a team named after America's foremost master of the macabre.

- Purple to black gradient throughout takes cues from the raven's glossy feathers, which appear to change shades under different light.

- The number type plays off the idea of color and light refraction.

- Feather design on shoulders, taking cues from raven feathers.

New looks for the Ravens.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Created an account just to tell you how awesome that Ravens uni/logo is. I was never a fan of gradients but you pulled it off. Would love to see this as our uni.

I'm not a fan of gradients, either, but the connection to the Ravens identity is very strong and I'm very happy with the way this set worked out.

Thanks for going through all that trouble to comment!

I've never liked the number being on one side of the helmet and the logo on the other. I think that might be my only complaint with this whole thing, other than that, it still might be one of the best concept series' in the entire CCSLC.

I like the Ravens a lot better after seeing the other views. The sublimated feather pattern is great and the gradients work nicely.

A couple nitpicks:

1. Are those off-color parallelograms and trapezoids meant to parallel the Maryland flag? If so, they should all be parallelograms (as they are on the 1) rather than trapezoids (as they are on the 3).

2. I think the shape of the shield on the helmet looks a little strange, though. Maybe make it more similar to the shield on the Baltimore city flag.

I would love to see the Ravens wearing this over the bland stuff they currently have now.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

The numbers are meant to an artistic representation of refracted light, which the gradients represent in a more literal way, mimicking the way a raven's wings appear purple when reflecting sunlight.

That's an interesting interpretation comparing the numbers to the state flag. Not what I intended, but I can see how you came to your conclusion. Art can be fun like that sometimes.

Appreciate the nitpicks, it's been fun seeing other people's points of view.

Xhq1sSW.jpg

1ZxGcqL.jpg

NxNCMAG.jpg

Buffalo Bills

- A team without a consistent striping pattern in their history, a simplified stripe here takes it's cue from the singular stripe in the team's primary logo.

- The number type is italicized and has both rounded and pointed edges, taking cues again from the primary logo.

New looks for the Bills.

Not really a big fan of the Bills helmet stripe. I see what you're trying to do with it being the same as the pants striping, but I feel it looks kinda mid-major collegiate almost.

When a major part of a team's brand identity is a large, red stripe, I don't think it would be very diligent to not somehow incorporate that design element into a team's uniform set.

18A7x6Z.jpg

Hei5l2D.jpg

NAwUwne.jpg

Chicago Bears

- A strong, proud uniform tradition remains virtually untouched.

- Removed outline on road uniform numbers to stay consistent with striping.

- Navy pants could be substituted for the road set, but I felt orange pants would look less harsh against the white jersey.

New looks for the Bears.

Interest is waning considerably in this, so I'll forgo future updates for now and maybe just do one big update when everything is completed.

Thanks for everyone's comments and critiques, I appreciate it!

First of all, let me say this is one of the most well-presented concepts I've ever seen on these boards. Your Photoshop work is top-notch--some of the best I've seen. It would be nice to see some sort of side view for the helmet and pants, though.

I agree with this poster and responded to all of your designs with my first impressions as well:

Patriots
- I like the all-grey look of the road uniforms
- the navy and cherry home jersey reminds me too much of Auburn
- the cherry alternate jersey ends up popping way too much for me, and the navy numbers on it clash
- not feeling the peach-colored face
Saints
- I like the stained-glass look on the grey numbers but on the black ones it doesn't look as good and doesn't even make sense (unless they're windows and it's dark outside?)
- the alternate uniform is obviously the biggest departure from what they have now and I don't know if I'm just not used to it but the jersey isn't working for me and that sort of gold and black is too Georgia Tech
Giants
- I really like the oversized red helmet stripe
- the white road jersey looks great
- I'm not feeling the red socks on the alternate; they should probably be white with the red stripes
Jets
- the socks striping is interesting; I think it works on the home uniform but on the road one I don't like the 3/4 pants effect it gives
- would be interested to see if you would do anything with their helmet logo (like a return to one of those better past looks)
Raiders
- I'm ok with all of this
Eagles
- maybe it's because I'm so close to Ypsilanti but the grey and green and white remind me of EMU (which is a bad thing)
- also, the wings on the shoulders seem to be ripping off Oregon (which I guess fits Chip Kelly but he won't be there forever)
- I surprisingly like the almost all-white road uniform
- I like the numbers, especially that 3; would be interested in seeing how the rest of the numbers would look in that style
- I don't know how I feel overall about the new helmet logo, but from the front it makes them look a bit like CSU, which is distracting
Steelers
- the "steelworks" design is so straightforwardly brilliant haha (have to say Mizzou has basically already done this color scheme though)
Chargers
- having lived in both California and Florida, I appreciate the all-white uniforms for warm weather state teams
- the gradient numbers work for me but for different reasons than you give; the yellow-to-blue look reminds me of San Diego beaches, whereas the yellow-to-white reminds me of the sky, but neither are particularly Chargers to me and so they seem sort of ill-fitting
- the yellow pants for the away uniform are too loud; stick with blue
- no powder blue jerseys?? one of the best looks in the entire NFL; you have to use it somewhere
49ers
- interesting that you made an alternate for the Steelers but not the 49ers, but I can see how it's hard to think of any way/reason to change this look
Seahawks
- please no toilet lid collars
- I like how you streamlined what is already one of the best recent looks in the league
- the stripe on the sock should be vertical, not horizontal, as it's meant to evoke Native American totem ornamentation, which is of course vertically-oriented
Rams
- I'm not completely on board with the yellow home jerseys, but it may just be the shade you chose
- the other two looks are great, though
Buccaneers
- again, thanks for the mostly all-white home uniforms for that horrible Florida humidity
- these numbers are so radical, but I like them, and I think if they would ever work in the NFL it would be for a new-ish franchise like Tampa Bay as opposed to a team with an established brand
- I only barely tolerate these collars, which are just long and styled enough to not be toilet lids
- while I think the idea for blade stripes on the pants is cool, the color choice makes it hard to distinguish, so I feel like many people would be confused about them
Titans
- another oversized helmet stripe, which I don't think you should do too often, and this one honestly underperforms compared to the Giants's
- would have been interested to see if you could have done anything without the navy, a la the Oilers
Redskins
- hoping the team somehow is forced to drop the Redskins moniker and so these uniforms wouldn't be relevant, but as for the concept I think these are very interesting/obviously cool-looking
Cardinals
- I don't like the Nike Pro Combat webbed shoulders but the design actually works well on the front of the helmet
- the away uniform looks a bit too OSU for me (coming from a Michigan alum though)
Falcons
- at first glance I thought this radical redesign was for the Bengals, which means the red is too orange for me
- I get all these sharp points as a brand decision but then why go for the blocky beltline?
Ravens
- I see you're a big fan of grey, but sometimes (like in this case), it's just better to go white
- purple on black is hard, and from the first view it looks like there's just random purple stripes on the shoulders; I can only tell that they're wings when zoomed in, so imagine how that will look in a game
- I'm generally weary of gradients and I'm afraid the purple-to-black pants will seem faddish and thus be unenduring
- I like how you try to carry over Maryland ~nationalism to the NFL with the helmet logo, but putting it only on one side is a no-can-do when you're in the same division as the Steelers
- just noticed the style of your numbers, which I approve of as very evocative of a Raven sort of look
Bills
- another oversized helmet stripe? this one works better for me than the Titans one, but still not as good as the Giants (and it's another red stripe just like the Giants's, which is problematic for two New York teams)
- the collar is at least different enough from a toilet lid, but it seems to have gotten into neck-towel territory
- overall, this color scheme isn't well-enough differentiated from the Giants's, which presents problems for these two NY teams
Panthers
- interesting Boise State ghost horse helmet; I think it works, but why no traditional silver helmet?
- the shoulder stripes come off less as whiskers to me and more as random stripes, but I think they work on the pants
Bears
- hard to mess with this tradition, and so I like keeping the orange pants on the alternate
Bengals
- I feel like with such a strong shoulder design, the collar just gets in the way
- the sublimated striping is an interesting idea but I feel like it draws a lot of attention to the player's crotch, as it stands out more on the pants than on the jerseys
Browns
- the oversized helmet stripe doesn't work here; the helmet stripe they use already is perfect
- the font seems too Wild West for me; it's ok that you want to be evocative of tradition, but try to find something more Cleveland
Cowboys
- I like that you acknowledge that as far as their alternate uniform goes it's basically just a pair of white pants (I've never been a fan of the blue/green/silver/whatever colored pants)
Broncos
- took me a while to realize that you were meaning to evoke a mane, but the jersey design worked for me anyways
- the helmet design, though, doesn't work as well
Lions
- I think the color scheme on the home socks made the grey too overwhelming for that uniform
Packers
- yup, don't mess with em
Texans
- finally! a solid collar
- the 1930s Colorado Buffalos' throwback helmet is one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see those horns appear in this uniform
- I like adding stars to this uniform although I wonder how Jerry Jones will feel about that
- what did you do with the helmets? we need a close-up view to be able to really tell, I think
Colts
- another iconic look to respect
Jaguars
- haha, the Jaguar print might--MIGHT--work on the numbers, but not anywhere else on the uniform; it's just too ridiculous
- I don't know how I feel about these gradient helmets; I like the idea of gold Jaguars helmets much more, or black, but not so much teal
Chiefs
- another classic
Dolphins
- would've appreciated an orange alternate (it's weird seeing a Miami team without much orange at all)
Vikings
- another classic
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived