Rams throwback-inspired overhaul

Discrim

With all this talk about the Rams strongly considering new uniforms a few years from now, I figured I'd throw my hat in the concept ring. My main aim was to capture the essence of these beauts...

Tank.jpg

...yet include a nod to these...

491487_display_image.jpg?1289310720

I'd tried it before, on a few third jersey concepts years back, but retrospectively, I looked back at that version and thought to myself "man, I did a horrible job." Thus, it was time to throw out a few ideas...

ramsstripes13.png

yes, even the ram has no idea which way to go. After the jump, a few concepts.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Alright, here goes a set with blue home, white road and the first stripe set

ramsmain131.png

Now for the second stripe set, blue home, gold road, blue pants added...cus honestly, 1: no NFL team currently wears a yellow jersey, and 2: how many people still watch black & white TVs? Honestly?

ramsmain132.png

Lastly, third stripes, gold home, white road

ramsmain133.png

Didn't include alts, can't remember why. And yes, I know the helmet horns look too beefy, I shoulda just traced from the Gridiron UD like I meant to...anyway, here it is.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Damn... you've been on fire lately!

Great to see you've taken all that "crazy" from the days when almost everything you posted was TATC-ish, and are roping it in to come up with some very progressive looks that still fit traditional football template.

Damn... you've been on fire lately!

Great to see you've taken all that "crazy" from the days when almost everything you posted was TATC-ish, and are roping it in to come up with some very progressive looks that still fit traditional football template.

Yeah, funny how real life works out: I've toned things down somewhat over the years (though those who remember the Fanhome days would replace "somewhat" with "so much it's almost unrecognizable" when I acutally was posting TATC concepts) and real teams are coming out in TATC-ish uniforms.

you need to go one way or the other, either stripes, or horn, right now the combo is just too cluttered

Wouldn't have been much of a concept if I did either (Before anyone says just the horns on the sleeves would've been, I recall seeing one or two people wearing Rams replicas with just the horns on the sleeves, numbers on the shoulders back in the mid 90s...can't remember which company that jersey was from, all I remember was the horns' dead space was way too small for numbers for no apparent reason). I won't say I haven't gone the "slight change" route, most of us have every now and again. One thing I know, however, playing around with Northwestern stripes, or indeed having a distinct sleeve stripe like Oklahoma State, is something I strongly prefer over piping, flywire and crap like that, and I wish more teams did it. The Arizona Rattlers and San Jose Sabercats, their original jerseys did this, and it's long inspired me to do the same when I can.

Sherdrick-Bonner.jpghof-voting-aflsbc-steve-papin.jpg

Logos under the collar never look good. Put the rams wordmark there and these would be near perfect

I agree, use a wordmark instead of the logo and it'd be perfect. Especially set 2/3. Well done.

Well, the ram helped me with the lawn over the summer, and I owed him a meatball bomber. That, and it was worth trying.

I like it with the exception of the logo under the collar. But the yellow alt is a winner in my book.

Thanks, though none of these are alts at the moment, as I've said, I hadn't bothered to make any alts...hell, I couldn't decide on which stripe to use (for those who couldn't tell, sets 2 and 3 use stripes with differently-sized horns...relative to the stripes, horn 2 is smaller than horn 3.) If I do, though, the alt will likely be a throwback in whichever color isn't a primary:

• Set 1: straight 50s throwback. Any other choice would be uncivilized.
  • Set 2: though the Fearsome Foursome whites aren't exactly favorites of mine, it'd likely be between those, the ram horn whites, and the UCLA-like roads from 63-64.
  • Set 3: lot of choice here...late 50s/early 60s blue, Fearsome Foursome blue, ram horn blue, Cleveland era...hell, I'd consider the navy jerseys and gold pants, but you gotta give the people about 5-10 years to miss em before then.

Adieu for the moment...

2016cubscreamsig.png

Alright, here goes a set with blue home, white road and the first stripe set

ramsmain131.png

Now for the second stripe set, blue home, gold road, blue pants added...cus honestly, 1: no NFL team currently wears a yellow jersey, and 2: how many people still watch black & white TVs? Honestly?

ramsmain132.png

Lastly, third stripes, gold home, white road

ramsmain133.png

Didn't include alts, can't remember why. And yes, I know the helmet horns look too beefy, I shoulda just traced from the Gridiron UD like I meant to...anyway, here it is.

That looks G.

My biggest beef with recent Rams throwbacks (a la late 70's, Chuck Knox years) is how poorly Nike has represented the accuracy of the uniforms - from helmet horns, jersey horns, numbers, team colors, etc. I've always understood the Rams wore "athletic gold" during this era. Nike sweatshops had plenty of neon lemon yellow and called it good. You reference both colors - yellow and gold. Which are you going for? Nice mockups, BTW.

Sam Bradford, lemon yellow

http://www.stlouisrams.com/assets/images/imported/STL/photos/article/2012/Bradford_Throwback_Feature_420_310_Dec12.jpg

Pat Haden, athletic gold

https://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=37818

I guess I use the old "classic" uniforms as a baseline of comparison, and (IMHO) they were great. I've always called them "Royal Blue and Yellow" because that's basically their appearance. What were the official names for those colors?

j_everett_061011_top_zps135d95e5.jpg

I always liked the ram horns on the shoulder when I was a kid, but I have to admit, if that uniform were released for the first time today it would probably be labeled a gimmick on par with the Viking's sail patterns on their new unis. It really was kind of a clumsy design and it looks redundant along with the helmet.

My biggest beef with recent Rams throwbacks (a la late 70's, Chuck Knox years) is how poorly Nike has represented the accuracy of the uniforms - from helmet horns, jersey horns, numbers, team colors, etc. I've always understood the Rams wore "athletic gold" during this era. Nike sweatshops had plenty of neon lemon yellow and called it good. You reference both colors - yellow and gold. Which are you going for? Nice mockups, BTW.

Sam Bradford, lemon yellow

http://www.stlouisrams.com/assets/images/imported/STL/photos/article/2012/Bradford_Throwback_Feature_420_310_Dec12.jpg

Pat Haden, athletic gold

https://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=37818

Athletic gold...though given I'm from Packer country, in most sporting contexts I tend to use the terms interchangeably, tacking on "yellow gold" when I need to distinguish it from metallic gold. Who knows, though...maybe Nike's exhausting their stock of Michigan maize :D

Why not try a blue/yellow northwestern stripe on the yellow pants (inverse of the yellow stripe on the blue jersey), as there is otherwise no yellow in the home uniform set?

Sorry, that was supposed to say "otherwise no white in the home uniform set."

The thought never really crossed my mind, to be honest.

I guess I use the old "classic" uniforms as a baseline of comparison, and (IMHO) they were great. I've always called them "Royal Blue and Yellow" because that's basically their appearance. What were the official names for those colors?

j_everett_061011_top_zps135d95e5.jpg

Royal blue and gold, officially (at least according to Werx) but as mentioned a few quotes above, the terms yellow/yellow gold/athletic gold tend to be used interchangeably as long as it's obviously yellowish and non-metallic (except for Michigan's maize shade). So no need to feel like a dunce as far as the nomenclature goes :)

I always liked the ram horns on the shoulder when I was a kid, but I have to admit, if that uniform were released for the first time today it would probably be labeled a gimmick on par with the Viking's sail patterns on their new unis. It really was kind of a clumsy design and it looks redundant along with the helmet.

Far as the Vikings go, they did a great job with the striping, but if we're just talking about how they have the numbers, I agree, it's gimmicky and it looks dumb.

Maybe today's gimmick is tomorrow's classic!

Yeh, you never really know...I know I wouldn't have thought every other high school and college team in the country would copy the Broncos within 2-3 years of that coming out...hell, seems like a million years ago when every third team in the nation copied Miami and not Oregon :D

The use of outlines does wonders. The added white or yellow really pops

and on these, bigger is better. Don't want them looking like just another team with northwestern stripes

As I'd said earlier, I'm surprised at how seldom teams ever decide to use traditional elements in new ways, compared to the piping/insert overdose most teams seem to opt towards. Hell, I remember illwauk lamenting that patterened collars & cuffs fell by the wayside, seeing as Florida State football's pretty much the only major team, college or pro, that I can recall still wearing them.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived