Nitroseed's Survivor Series Tournament

nitroseed

The point of the eliminations is to add an element of competition that has not been done before. If you just pit 3 against 3 and the losing team is eliminated, then in essence, all you have is a basic tournament with teams instead of individuals, which has been done to death. With this setup, if the so-called "major player" on one team gets eliminated first, then the other guys on his team have a responsibility to step up their game and beat the other squad. Call it a shorthanded goal. You'll find that individual design is one thing, but the dynamics of a group yields completely new results. I can tell you from experience in working with groups at school. Designers who may not be that good usually, when in a group setting, produce amazing work. That is the basis of this competition: to offer people the chance to work as a group and to band together when the odds are against them; to rise up to a challenge and surprise themselves once in a while. It -is- possible.

And to say that one person will always be better than another is a farce. Anything is possible in these competitions and anyone can be beaten on any given day. That is why I believe this competition is going to work and transcend all these labels of "marquee" players and whatnot. I believe enough in this community to know that everyone here is capable of creating something amazing, especially when working together.

And, you know what? If it doesn't work, then we live, we learn, and we fix the mistakes on the second go-round.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point of the eliminations is to add an element of competition that has not been done before. If you just pit 3 against 3 and the losing team is eliminated, then in essence, all you have is a basic tournament with teams instead of individuals, which has been done to death. With this setup, if the so-called "major player" on one team gets eliminated first, then the other guys on his team have a responsibility to step up their game and beat the other squad. Call it a shorthanded goal. You'll find that individual design is one thing, but the dynamics of a group yields completely new results. I can tell you from experience in working with groups at school. Designers who may not be that good usually, when in a group setting, produce amazing work. That is the basis of this competition: to offer people the chance to work as a group and to band together when the odds are against them; to rise up to a challenge and surprise themselves once in a while. It -is- possible.

And to say that one person will always be better than another is a farce. Anything is possible in these competitions and anyone can be beaten on any given day. That is why I believe this competition is going to work and transcend all these labels of "marquee" players and whatnot. I believe enough in this community to know that everyone here is capable of creating something amazing, especially when working together.

And, you know what? If it doesn't work, then we live, we learn, and we fix the mistakes on the second go-round.

That is certainly another valid point of view.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any administrative help - from an unbiased non-participant.

You have got to count this guy in. This sounds really awesome Nitro. Excited to see the competition and types of logos produced from this contest. Should be interesting!

psst...Hey Nitro...put Sterling, Rozilla, Avenger and maybe Shiznit or Syphi on my team, maybe toss in pcgd while you're at it...here's the money and bag of special brownies I owe you *offers up brown paper bag*...pleasure doing business with you...

Okay. As of right now, I have 30 individuals listed as active entrants in this tournament. The new rule states that if you are unable to create your own logos and uniform concepts (by that, I mean create them using Paint, Photoshop, Illustrator, FreeHand, etc.), then you are ineligible for this competition. For the sake of the other entrants, please let me know now if you are ineligible and I will remove you from the draft pool. Here are the current list of participants:

Mockba

stimpy

49erfan

tarheeltider

pittunited

hockeygator

whchoclte

shiznit

pcgd

CityOfWalrus

Gordie

paynomind

Rozilla

Braden

vicfurth

jpslapshot

wurldwyde

joel_fiasco

hockeyman73

Avenger

FreeKobe

commish

Sterling

SyPhi

Cuss16

GMS1122

epper

GMac

AbbeyBF42

decypher

Steve-O

eddie010

GameCock82

JungleBook45

c0nceptz (will automatically go into the Alternates Pool)

Names in italics were added after I originally posted the list.

I have removed gbasalmon, josh_j182, Brian in Boston, and Sabres 7200 because of the new ruling and their statements of being more of "conceptualizers" than creators. If any of you four are qualified and wish to still be in, please let me know before 12:00pm EST tomorrow (6/26). And again, if you are on this list and are ineligible, please let me know. Thanks!

Oh, also, entry is still open to anyone not listed, so if you want in, sign up now!

Oh, also, entry is still open to anyone not listed, so if you want in, sign up now!

As I did previously, I am hereby declaring myself IN. I'm in! Maybe, nitro, you missed it, but I did say I was in earlier. Or maybe it was my fault for not being clear enough. :wacko: Anyhoo, I'm in....

In.

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

I will be a spectator!

While I can & have done concepts--I may or may not be busy over this next while--so I will watch & enjoy & learn...

(and if we picked sides--I'd probably be the last one picked! :P )

Sounds like fun though...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Correct me if I am wrong - You are going to assign 8 "captains" so that these 8 guys (or girls) would not be on the same team, leveling the playing field? If that's not the case, then I guess I don't understand the purpose of captains. If it is, then I'm fine with that. Thanks.

Whatcha gonna do when the Ultimate MegaPowers run wild over you!

UMPPrimarySig.jpgUMPWarriorSig.jpgUMPAltSig.jpg

Ah well, lack of top-notch artistic skills and a complete lack of comprehension of Illustrator bite me in the ass again. Eh, at least the designs that come out of this Mega-Powers-esque competition will be in all likelihood simply nails. I guess my Tampa Bay Lightning idea that I don't have the skills to execute will have to wait for the day that I spontaneously wake up with the artistic skills of Avengozillaseed...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Correct me if I am wrong - You are going to assign 8 "captains" so that these 8 guys (or girls) would not be on the same team, leveling the playing field? If that's not the case, then I guess I don't understand the purpose of captains. If it is, then I'm fine with that. Thanks.

The "captain" thing is really just for the purpose of levelling the playing field, so to speak. They will have no authoritative power over their teams or any advantage of any kind.

Okay, well, I'm going to be out of the house this afternoon and during the cutoff for entries, and it looks like everyone who is going to enter has entered, so I went ahead and did the drawing to decide the teams. There are eleven people who were not selected, and, as per the rules, they will be moved to the Alternates Pool. So, you eleven don't get discouraged because you may still get to play if someone drops out of their team. And again, these teams were chosen at random and I had no part in choosing who went on what team other than splitting up the 8 "marquee players" to avoid an imbalance. (And no, I will not disclose who the eight I chose were.)

So, without further ado... Here are your eight teams for the inaugural Survivor Series Tournament!

Team 1 - Shiznit / GMS1122 / whchoclte

Team 2 - commish / Rozilla / Hockeygator

Team 3 - Vicfurth / Braden / AbbeyBF42

Team 4 - Gordie / pcgd / Avenger

Team 5 - Sterling84 / pittunited / joel_fiasco

Team 6 - wurldwyde / SyPhi / paynomind

Team 7 - epper / GMac / JungleBook45

Team 8 - GameCock82 / Mockba / Steve-O

Alternates Pool - FreeKobe, jpslapshot, decypher, Gordie, tarheeltider, stimpy, CityOfWalrus, c0nceptz, the49erfan15, skater20na, sNOwcAp30, brassbonanza97, tajmccall

Names in italics added after drawing took place.

---

If you have not entered yet, but would like to, you have until July 17 to enter, but you will be placed in the Alternates Pool.

Now, if you guys wish to come up with team names or whatever (doesn't have to be City/Nickname, could be something ridiculous like "The Fried Hamster Cannon" for all I care), just post them on this thread. Also, any questions or whatever you guys have... this thread, also.

The competition will begin on Saturday, July 17, 2004. That means you and your team have exactly two weeks to get together, establish your communication plans, address any concerns you have, and notify me of any irreconcilable differences you may have with someone on your team. That will also give time to anyone who needs to drop out so we have enough time to replace them with someone from the alternates pool.

I will urge you ahead of time to not relegate duties to one person. As in, don't leave creating the logo and/or uniforms up to one person on your team. I want everyone to be involved in the process. Teamwork is encouraged in this competition. So, get with your team, and pony up because in two weeks, the true test of survival will begin!

Best of luck to you all!

Wow... got some pretty damn good teams there. LOOK AT TEAM 6!!! I think they may be the team to beat! But any team with Avenger's gonna go far. Team 5 is really good as well.

I'm just fortunate I was lucky enough to make a team. I gotta get my magic brainstorm notepad out. It worked wonders during the logolympiad... who knows what'll happen!

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived